Reignac 08 and 09

Maybe it’s just me, but I get the impression that Reignac has slightly gone off the radar in recent years. It had been a while since I tried one, so I tried two:

Reignac 2008

Cherry, plum and perhaps some vanilla on the nose. In the mouth, rather weird - a pot-pourri of sweetish red fruit, with every so often a streak of quite cool blackcurrant, a candified middle section and rather a dry finish. Quite rich with decent body, but a rather odd overall impression.

Reignac 2009

Much the same on the nose, although with an attractive minty touch at first. The attack is strong, sweet and fruity, but almost sherbet-like in its intensity and sweetness, with again a confusing middle section which veers from candy to cool notes of blackcurrant, but unlike the 08, with a very hot finish which reminded me of cough mixture. I threw in the towel after half a glass.

I’m sure others would like these more and I don’t want to be derogatory, but just for my taste, they were pretty unappealing. I think my taste has changed but I think the wine has too.

I got into Reignac with the 1996, which I liked, along with the next four vintages, but I think the style become sweeter from 01 onwards. I never bought the hype but it was a good value wine which I enjoyed.

I sought solace in a Clos du Jaugueyron (Haut-Médoc) 2009, an altogether different beast, which for my palate left the Reignacs in the parking lot. It’s amazing that they were produced at the same time - it’s like going from one epoch to another.

The wine went CandyLand, after 2000.

I drank an 03 last week, quite hollow mid palate and harsh oak tannins. Didn’t finish the bottle.

2000 itself was Parkerized.

Served a couple of cases of misc. wines at a party in December including an 05 de Reignac. Oenophile buddies awarded it the “least likable” bottle of the night. It was still consumed (being a party). Big charry oak fingerprint crowding out the sweet fruit, followed by unintegrated tannins.

RT

Well I’m glad it’s not just me! I’ve never tried the 05 but to be fair I think a lot of wines taste like that, Richard. I couldn’t help thinking that the two I tried were wines of their time - I wonder if the style has changed in recent years?

True Julian. Approx 15 years in…if a “bargain Bordeaux” can’t get it’s act together, it’s time to cut your losses and look elsewhere IMHO.

RT