2002 p2

anyone have this lately? worth opening?

Yes, and I’d hold off on opening.

Pretty tasty, have had it a few times now. Enjoy it way more than the reg 2002 for some reason. Still very young

For a minute I thought you meant Copain P2 and was going to be like “that’s gotta be sherry by now”, carry on!

Just had it last week. I don’t see an issue opening it now. Way better than 2002 regular. Rep told me they sometimes do different dosage things with the different releases.

To me, the divergence between 2002 P1 (as we may call the original disgorgement for clarity) and 2002 P2 are not very pronounced when you have them side by side, which I have done a number of times. The differences, as far as we are told, are triage under cork and somewhat lower dosage for P2, and there is less than a decade separating P1 and P2 in the 2002 vintage.

William,

I think the 2002 P2 is quite a different wine from the original release. Personally, I never found the 2002 original release to be a great DP though I know many did. To me, the shortcomings of the original release show next to the P2. The original release is currently dominated by the fatness of the year’s over ripe Chardonnay. This leads it to come across as less focused, more mature, and quite a bit more sweet next to the P2. In contrast, I find the P2 to have better structure and precision with deeper, darker, and more concentrated flavors highlighted by a salty minerality. I’ve always found a lot of the Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs in 2002 to be rather precocious, extra rich, and very fruity. The original release is showing this character while the P2 manages to find much more balance. Usually, I prefer a well stored original release to a Late Disgorged/Oenotheque/P2/P3, but I think the 2002 P2 is better right now and will always be. More a function of the vintage character than anything else.

I will add that this is definitely going to cellar well and evolve over the next 20-30 years, but no harm in popping one now. I think it is showing young, but very enjoyable.