Tete de cuvee roses

When I look at the prices of white champagnes vs. rose champagne of the tete de cuvees by the major houses, I am really amazed at how much more expensive the roses are these days. I mean, I like the roses, but really not more than the whites (and in some cases less than the whites). Are you guys seeing major values in the roses vs. the whites? Have the roses always been this much more expensive? Is it just supply and demand or is something else going on here.

Examples

Taittinger BdB 2006 - whites around $120-150, roses - generally over $200.

Dom Ruinart 2007 - whites around $130-150, roses - generally over $300.

Dom Perignon, Krug MV, Cristal too.

Yes, but why? I don’t generally see the quality differences but the roses do look pretty.

Scarcity is my guess. To me, the DP rose is better, but for Krug the non-rose. Haven’t had enough of the others to really say.

I don’t get it really. You don’t see this differential between say Roederer vintage and vintage Rose. Or Pol Roger vintage and PR Rose. Is it just supply and demand for the Tete de Cuvees? Seems unlikely.

Agreed. These are big companies and you would they would make more rose.

Curious about this as well. Is there something about the production of rose champagne that is more intensive and requiring more resources thus the price differential in the finished product?

Great question, I’ve always wondered that as well.

I once calculated the value of the red added to DP to make the Rose. It worked out more than La Tache.

Of course it’s not that simple but still…

Are we taking the bloom off of the Rosé? Sorry, it had to be said.

Adrian,
We are packing to visit friends in Hawaii and I’m bringing my A-game. That includes a Krug Rosé (the host loves rosé champagne in general). I haven’t had one yet, but coincidentally your comment is the second I’ve seen in minutes suggesting Krug’s rosés might be a step down rather than up compared to their GC. I’m sure it won’t be bad, but it makes me glad I have far more Krug Grand Cuvée than rosé.
Cheers,
Warren

I wondered about this a while ago.
From a quick search.

Rose champagne is more expensive then white champagne
because making it is more labor-intensive and time-consuming, and therefore, more costly to produce. … Wine made this way has a more delicate flavor, whereas rosé made by blending in red wine has deeper, more robust red fruit aromas.

Rose used to be out of fashion and the premium charged for it was much less. I speculate that the price uptick has been due mostly to Gucci Effect. In general, I’ve been a fan of the top shelf rose offerings when I want a splurge. We drink a fair amount of NV Ruinart Rose (not the Dom Ruinart) because it is delicious and cheaper than Billecart Rose. It is only slightly more expensive than the Ruinart BdB in our market. Last year’s import of Goutorbe Rose was fantastic as well.

I am a huge fan of Krug Rose and have given up on the Grand Cuvee, opting for vintage over it as my Krug Brut selection. As with the Grand Cuvee, some of the batches of Rose are stronger than others.

Cheers,
fred

My only explanation is that roses are Veblenier than non roses.

I can only really speak to Taittinger where I’ve preferred the regular Comte to the rose in every vintage where I’ve had both with the exception of the 2004.

No it didn’t.:heart_eyes_cat:

I think we are dealing with two different animals. I like both, but the Taittinger Rose is more adaptable with food.
There is a superb Chinese restaurant locally that we bring the Rose 2007 to; the more you throw at it, sweet, spicy etc, the more it seems to enjoy itself.

The Krug rose is a strange beast. It tastes more like Krug than it does rose, whatever that means. I’ve had some brilliant examples of the rose, but I find the GC to be a much more pure expression of the house style. And honestly I drink Krug for that house style.

I think it varies on a cuvée by cuvée basis. The Cristal Rosé, for example, is from only three or four of the best plots of the 25 or so that are candidates for inclusion in Cristal. So it is effectively a tête de cuvée of Cristal that happens to be a very delicate rosé color… And it does merit the premium to my palate.

One of the worst offenders is Piper Heidsieck’s Rare Rosé.

You can find the regular Rare 2002 or 2006 for about $150-160ish and the Rare Rosé 2007 for $450+.

It’s prettier. [cheers.gif]