TN: 2014 Castelli Vineyards Nebbiolo Estate Nebbiolo

• 2014 Castelli Vineyards Nebbiolo Estate Nebbiolo - USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley of Russian River Valley (3/1/2020)
    Wow, this adds a depth and complexity to the Fosco, which itself is really excellent. This is a bit more concentrated, a bit tighter – some lovely tart cherry, with the acid and dusty tannins a bit more integrated than the Fosco. I am not sure this will last decades like the best Baroli, but boy is this good and I would love to find out. But it is so lovely to drink right now too.

Glass_ Grassl Cru; PnP. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Note: The picture is a 2013 from CT. The wine I reviewed is the 2014.

Mine was quite closed, I checked back in after 5 days and it opened a bit but I’ll give the rest more time. I’ll have to open a Fosco for reference.

Hmmmm…just no self-restraint, Ron???
Emilio does a great job of catching the floral aspects of Nebb w/ just a bit of the tar nuances.
I see no reason it wouldn’t go out 10 yrs, but decades?? Prolly not.
Tom

I did jot find it closed at all. It was a bit tight and austere, but not like a traditional Barolo at this age. I think Tom may be right about ten years. It definitely has a bit more heft than the Fosco. But boy they are both lovely wines.

Grabbed some on Beserkerday and opened a Fosco, really really good Nebbiolo. Can’t wait to try one of these.

Just opened a 2014 Estate Nebbiolo. The Fosco and Pinot Noir were too rustic for my liking–and I tolerate rustic wines reasonably well–but this was just right. Checked the Nebbiolo aromatic and structural boxes, without being aggressively tannic.

I do have qualms with the use of synthetic corks for an age-able wine. Especially one that already has some ‘lift’ to its character. While I suspect the engineering is improving, synthetic corks have had issues with elevated oxygen ingress. More O2 is a recipe for a rustic wine to cross the threshold of interesting to dirty or tired.