Denver Rhône Dinner 2/29

Great night in Denver last night with other WineBerserkers and friends sharing Rhône (mostly) wines and Rhône inspired foods.

Lineup:
2018 Domaine de la Mordorée La Reine des Bois (Tavel) Rosé
2015 Domaine de la Mordorée Lirac La Reine des Bois, Red Blend
2013 Sin Qua Non Syrah
1990 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape
1998 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape
2001 Château de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape
2003 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
1995 Château Tirecul La Gravière Monbazillac
1995 Château Tirecul la Graviere Monbazillac Cuvee Madame

Great lineup. I wish I could have made it!

How did SQN show?

Sounds like a fun night! Sorry I couldn’t make it.

The SQN was excellent. Very big and jammy. We drank this before dinner so didn’t compare with the CdPs.

Next time! Great group of folks.

Funny story. When Christine and I were checking out at Whole Foods Saturday the cashier asked us if we were having a dinner parter with family or friends and she said “neither, total strangers!”

Very interesting selection of wines. Was the 2013 Sin Qua Non Syrah the Male or the Le Supplement?

This Sin Qua Non, as well as the 2003 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée have a long life ahead, with continued positive development! This profile of wine begs owning 12 to 24 bottles to follow continuing development/maturity!

Well, it was my last 2003 Pegau (from PC no less) and there are a few of the SQN left. So, we will see where the SQN goes over time.

Donn, I believe the SQN was the Male.

The '90 Donjon was holding up very well too! I thought the '98 Beau was breaking down some but it was a favorite of both Christine and Ben, I believe. I have one more of the '01 Beau but that is slated for our daughter’s 21st in 2 years.

I’m surprised that there was no real notes posted on the wines served. Is that for a specific reason or did no-one write them up? It would be interesting to see how many of these wines are holding up and Performing these days. Cheers.

We had printouts for notes but we were having such a good time socializing I don’t think anybody took formal notes.

I entered a few in CT the following for the wines I contributed to:

2018 Domaine de la Mordorée La Reine des Bois (Tavel) Rosé
Nice Rosé. Strong aroma of strawberry cool-aid up front. Cherry and strawberry with good acidity. 90

2015 Domaine de la Mordorée Lirac La Reine des Bois, Red Blend
Rhone dinner with appetizers. Tasty GSM (34/33/33). Subdued fruit with plus tannins on the front. Not your typical fruit bomb GSM. Could probably use a few years to become more balanced and have the tannins mellow/integrate, possibly bumping up a point. 90

2001 Château de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape
Holding up nicely. Cork came out cleanly with about 1/3 staining. Decanted for an hour. Medium-plus opacity and body. Plum, blackberry, red licorice and dark tea with smooth, silky tannins. Medium length finish. Opened next to a '98, which was losing some structure, lighter in body but nice fruit. Christine preferred the '98. 93

Mel and Donn may have notes to add for these or the other other wines.

Never been a TN kind of guy. 90% of them consist
of “this was great” yum!

My TNs are for future-me, so are usually pretty short and sweet. Since I’m “relatively” new to this I’m trying to build a database of what I’ve had so I know what to buy more of!

I think everyone loved the SQN. It was definitely a stand out wine of the night.

As far as the CdPs it was pretty mixed. I think the '90 Donjon got the most thumbs up. It was really holding up well, still a few more years in it for sure. I went back and forth between the '03 Pegau and the '01 Beau and in the end it was between the Donjon and the '01 Beau. Two chose the '98 Beau.