TN: 2017 Yvon Métras Beaujolais Madame Placard (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais)

This is a brand new bottling from Métras, released last year (the 2018 is now out as well). When I came across it in a shop in France the salesperson did not exactly try to force me to buy it, hinting at there being some better values on their shelves. As it was not really expensive all things considered I was still intrigued after having massively enjoyed Métras’s straight 2015 Beaujolais. In all honesty this one did not come even close: it’s a solid wine without any extra dimensions. I guess what I am most pleased about is that as the ABV levels in Beaujolais seem to be on the rise (esp. with 2018 vintage) this one states a classic 12% and does not taste like any more than that.

The fans of this style will probably enjoy this wine well enough but I am afraid that some people will be paying way, way too high prices for it in cool hipster establishments around the world just because of the name on the label.

• 2017 Yvon Métras Beaujolais Madame Placard - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais (29.2.2020)
    On PnP spritzy, unashamedly natty and not very expressive at all. Thus I decided to put it in a decanter for an hour or two. The nose has this idiosyncratic natural wine character of cherry fruit with a distinct orange peel edge. On the bitter side but not overly so. The body is splendidly lean with very nice acidity to give it a nicely vibrant feel. There is practically no tannin to speak of so it goes down very easily despite a bitter character similar to the nose. The finish is clean and pleasant but it is missing the lip-smacking effect of many more successful wines from the region. The glass half full assessment of this wine would be that it is massively drinkable in a clearly natty but in no way flawed way. The opposite would be that it is simplistic and straightforward and not particularly exciting. In the end it is a very well made, thoroughly enjoyable wine that will excite the natural wine crowd but probably not the rest. I’m probably not looking to rebuy but then I will not decline if someone offers me a glass.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good to read and learn about a Metras that I’ve not heard of before. I’ve only had 1 non-Cru Metras ever and it didn’t excite me much then. I know that that was a very small sample size, but since then I’ve decided that if I ever buy Metras, and with the difference in price not astronomically significant, I’d pony up a bit more for the Cru bottles.

great info, as usual. Thank you

Well I have only had the straight Beaujolais in the tricky 2015 vintage but I am pretty sure it was the best 2015 from the region I have had. No idea what really went into that bottling but it was without a doubt of very high Cru Beaujolais quality and I would have never guessed it was from a “solar” vintage.

Believe the madame is made with bought grapes…