TN: 1985 Château Haut-Bages Libéral (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

• 1985 Château Haut-Bages Libéral - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/29/2020)
    Purchased at the AMC Internet auction a few months ago for $49 including premium. Bottle looked in good shape except for some what spots on the label. Opened with the Durand. Cork was fully infused but still in good shape. Decanted, left for an hour, and then followed for four more. Color was excellent, dark wine color with no noticeable bricking. Just a tiny tinge of orange if I hold the last inch in my final glass up to the light after 5 hours.

Mature but not fruit driven. Spices, balanced acidity, a bit of earthiness/herbs but nothing like, let’s say, an aged Gruaud with the saddle leather and barn dirt. Perhaps a little floral on the nose. Extremely smooth, no tannic bite. Finish is on the long side of medium. I get no indication that this is on the down slope yet.

I can’t get tech data back that far on their website, but all wines since 2000 have been between 70% and 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, with the rest Merlot. After what is now almost 6 hours since decanting, the wine stands up well with no degradation. I may have had this before, but I do not recall, so I cannot compare it with other vintages, but it is excellent for a Fifth Growth. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hard to go wrong with Pauillac in 85. I’ll save a bottle of 85 Pichon Lalande for your next jaunt to the tropics.

Great note. It further confirms my theory that the bang-for-the-buck experience of lower classified BdX with age is second to none.

Great note and good to read that it’s still going strong - I think it was the first HBL I ever tasted, a long time ago, and I was really impressed. Made by the present owner’s mother, Bernadette, I think you’re right that it was 80% CS and 20% Merlot, with maybe some Petit Verdot too. I was lucky enough to find a case of 1990 some years ago, in perfect condition, which really got me into HBL: apart from a couple of bottles, they were incredibly powerful and profound and looking at others’ notes, mine must have been better than most because at the time, the quality seriously challenged that of Lynch-Bages 90, for a whole lot less. Sadly, the two bottles I found recently were not of the same ilk. Also, I’ve yet to encounter any vintage since which is as good as the 85 and 90. The 2009 is a good example - a nice wine, but rather superficial.

Great note, and what a cool find at auction. I had the 96 several months ago and it was lovely.

I bought a ton of the 1983 on closeout back in the day. Went through the 3 cases of 750s fairly quickly, probably by 1995, but lost a case of mags until last year. Popped one over the holidays and it was terrific. Smooth, supple, good complexity, not tremendous amount of oomph, but delicious and proved to be a crowd favorite amongst a group of non-geeks.

I drank a bunch of this vintage 6-8 year ago and it was always great and usually totally under the radar at auction. Glad to hear it is still kicking.