Schrader, worth it?

Got my first offer this week for a Gorgeous 6-pack for $1350. The $200 for shipping and tax puts a sour taste in my mouth. Love TRB but are these worth the $260 a bottle?

No Napa wine is worth $250, imo.

No wine from anywhere is really worth $260.

But if you like the style and you have money to burn . . .

The wines are awesome!
I have been buying them direct since 2005. Every bottle I have opened has been special.
That said I stopped buying after Fred sold. Maybe not a good reason but I have about 100 bottles which will be able to last me a long time. In general I think Schrader is worth it if it doesn’t bust your budget.

Ken’s a lucky man with 100+ bottles in the cellar. If you like the style, yes these are worth it. Special for sure.

1 Like

Also a TRB fan … If you’re looking for something kinda “culty” made by TRB that you can get without a waiting list (and don’t have to buy in a pack they organize), look at Round Pond’s “gravel series.” Price is a BIT more approachable – I think “SRP” is $225, but with your 20% club discount they come into the 180’s.

I’d suggest Maybach and MacDonald. Both are under $200 and are far superior to Schrader. Less costly to ship. No offense to TRB, but you’re paying for his name.

Dh

How does one get MacDonald for under $200 a bottle ?

What wines are worth $250?

Plenty of Scarecrow buyers out there at $400 plus

Under $200??

Had my first experience with Schrader at our quarterly wine dinner this past January. It was a 2013 LPV and it was the WOTN for most of us. Would I need six bottles of each vintage? Probably not, but having a couple from each year in the cellar is worth it IMO.

I think “technically” Maybach is under at like 195 or they’re right at 200 for Materium. MacDonald has a full list and you can’t get on and they are def aren’t under $200 on the secondary market.

From a friend; or dare I say, mailing list.

Dh

I’d say my experience has been positive and that it is worth it for release price. There are wines I slightly prefer for the price point but I wouldn’t regret Schrader at release cost. Usually can get your money back too if you ever decided to sell.

+1. They are excellent wines with a good & steady following.

Among the dozens of wineries in Napa with $225+ price tag, Schrader is on par with the best of them. 2018’s will have a couple new ones from prime To Kalon blocks otherwise not available.

NO
(Constellation Brands)

I got off the waitlist in 2019, after a 3 year waitlist. In 2019, I purchased my 5 pack of 2017 offered in and I purchased my Gorgeous pack this February.

I have a quarterly wine group of 5 guys that focuse on a different varietal every gathering. In 1/2020 we focused on Bourdeaux varietals and the line up included:

Schrader LPV 2014
Quilceda Creek Cabernet 2014
Sassicaia 2012
Ducru-Beaucaillou 2009
Hall Kathryn Hall 2008 (2011 WS#2 top 100).

4 out of 5 of us thought that the Schrader was the WOTN and all have purchased some Schrader since that event.

I have attended the Wine Spectator NYC Grand Tasting in 2017 and 2019. In 2017 the Sxhrader RBS 2013 was served and in 2019 the Schrader RBS 2014 was served by Fred Schrader himself. At both events, the Schrader stood out for my palate in the grouping of wines that I wanted to buy based on quality and price.

Unfortunately, I got off the waitlist after the Constellation purchase but it appears to me that the wine should not change, with the exception of expanding into more To Kalon bottlings, as long as TRB is the winemaker. Everyone has their own personal opinion of Constellation and many have decided to boycott all Constellation wines. I do not agree with Constellations stance on the To Kalon naming rights but this is a discussion for another time.

So to answer your question, I do believe Schrader is a very well made wine and very enjoyable to drink. The QPR is up to your personal buying comfortablilty but it is one of the only wines that I purchase north of $200.

Hope this helps.

These are very good wines that I have never failed to thoroughly enjoy. Worth it? Sorry, can’t answer that for you.