TN: 2013 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Wachenheimer Böhlig Riesling (Germany, Pfalz)

Dry Riesling, anyone drinking it in 2020?

I tasted this a few years back at their tasting room and liked a lot. I also bought another 2013 PC, Ruppertsberger Hoheburg I think, which already a couple years ago felt like it had plateaud and frankly was not all that great. That had me worried and thus I was not looking to wait too long with this one. Turns out I easily could have, but then again it is already extremely enjoyable. Serves as a good reminder of what a great address this is.

• 2013 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Wachenheimer Böhlig Riesling - Germany, Pfalz (27.2.2020)
    All business on the nose with emerging petrol, peach and apricot. Kind of in between: not youthful, not exactly mature. Very attractive nonetheless. Fairly fleshy on the palate with solid volume yet with great nervosity and focus. This combines fantastically bright and lively fruit with awesome, mouth-puckering acidity that gives the sensation of spiciness on the finish. There is a tangy, citrusy quality to it but mostly the fruit is of the peachy kind. It is very spry and energetic, clearly quite far away from any kind of maturity. That said it drinks tremendously well and is just tasty as heck right now. Excellent stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

I haven’t tried this particular vintage, Ilkka, but when I tried both the '14 & '16 in October of 2018, I thought that both bottles were too young. To me, these wines demand some time in the cellar to show their best.

They certainly do. Bürklins age like crazy and at ridiculously slow pace. I wish I hadn’t popped my 2010 Gerümpel open last fall.

No agreement there. That said it is not like this bottle did not deliver any pleasure, it certainly did. Especially with food is was really, really tasty. On the other hand with the Ruppertsberger Hoheburg roughly a year ago the wine was not tight, shut down or painfully acidic but just the opposite, coming across relatively soft. It could be that it is just not one of their better bottlings at the PC level.

To me Hoheburg has been always a softer and more accessible style of wine in the Bürklin-Wolf range, showing a bit more ripeness than the other wines from the same vintage. So it’s pretty consistent with your observations.

The vineyard: Weinlagen