Is this a real AOC Margaux?

Since that’s my daughter’s middle name (well, minus the AOC part), and I’m fond of the appellation in general, I tend to have at least heard of most of the chateaux and other producers there. However, until now I have never run across Château Grand Goucsirs. The anagrammed name and the trade dress (e.g. script and gold mermaid-in-crown motif) strongly suggest an affiliation with Ch. Giscours. But I’m not sure whether that’s an official affiliation (if so, was this a precursor to la Sirène de Giscours?) or some knock-off. I have searched in vain on this site, cellartracker, Leve’s site and Google for any reference to this wine.

I’ve found a few references including on winesearcher but they are all for 1990. which seems very odd. And no references to any articles about a one off cuvee or anything. Can’t wait for explanation!

Yes, I believe it is or was the second wine of Giscours. It’s a great name. I’ve never seen a bottle in the wild.

What’s the point of a wine no one can find?
(acknowledgement to Dr Strangelove)

It’s odd that there are online sightings for 1990 but only 1990.

I much prefer the Loutar Pauillac.

I know a woman who really loves Hot Brian

From what I vaguely remember, this was a one-off. It’s certainly a Margaux, but only the second wine of Giscours and only in 1990. I think they got in trouble for doing it as it so closely resembles the top wine’s label and name. It comes up for auction here occasionally and sells for quite high prices, but personally I would steer clear.

A lot of people love Hot Brian and quite a few more are buy curious.

Ethan … This was the name of the second wine of Giscours in 1990. The name was only in use for one year. I’m fairly certain it was a violation of AOC laws to use that name as well.

FWIW, the vineyards were in poor shape in those days. It’s not a wine I would seek to purchase.

Jeff, thanks for the authoritative answer. I’d never heard of Ch. Giscours’ legal issues in the 90’s 'til I read about them on your site. So, this is probably not a wine to buy to drink for enjoyment, but if I ever come across a singleton for €20ish I’ll still be tempted to pick it up as a curiosity.