North of Santa Fe wine recommendations?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mstockley

North of Santa Fe wine recommendations?

#1 Post by mstockley » February 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Going to be in the Pojoaque area this summer. Any recommendations for wine friendly restaurants or where to buy some if we decide not to bring our own (flying in from the mid-west)?
M @ r k

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: North of Santa Fe wine recommendations?

#2 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 25th, 2020, 4:14 pm

BYOB is illegal in New Mexico so any drinking of wine you buy will not be in a restaurant. Decent wine shops are hard to come by in NM too. You might pm desertwine to see if he has any ideas. He lives in Lamy outside of Santa Fe.
PlanoWino

A G Aguirre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by A G Aguirre » February 25th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Closest to you will be the Santa Fe stuff. A few decent wine restaurants (check Wine Spectator as a few have the awards). Most interesting place is La Casa Sena. For NM, an extensive list. They also have a retail shop which, in my experience, has been the best stocked in all NM (incl. Albuquerque and Taos). Prices are a bit high but no options even close to their selection (IMO).
@rturo

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by lleichtman » February 25th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:14 pm
BYOB is illegal in New Mexico so any drinking of wine you buy will not be in a restaurant. Decent wine shops are hard to come by in NM too. You might pm desertwine to see if he has any ideas. He lives in Lamy outside of Santa Fe.
Arroyo Vino will let you bring wine you buy in their store into their restaurant though the markup is high.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 25th, 2020, 4:28 pm

lleichtman wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:24 pm
Michael O'Brien wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:14 pm
Arroyo Vino will let you bring wine you buy in their store into their restaurant though the markup is high.
There must be a loophole that allows that to happen. I have never tried it but there aren't many places where you could.
PlanoWino

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Joshua Kates » February 25th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Actually, for years was a pretty decent wine store in Pojauque itself--don't know if it closed; Tom Hill would, though. Foodwise, not much going on, though there used to be a place halfway between there and Taos, in a little town Embudo, called Embudo station; wasn't bad, had good smoked trout. Arroyo Vino definitely a winner as well.
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Well...

#7 Post by TomHill » February 25th, 2020, 5:12 pm

For wine shops: Kokoman in Pojoaque, ArroyoVino, Susan's in SantaFe, CasaSena. Cid's Wine Shop in Taos.
Restaurants: ArroyoVino in SantaFe the best. Can buy in their wine shop and have in the restaurant, no loophole needed. Casa Sena and TerraCotta also good. In Taos, CommonFire has a great wine list.
Parcht Wine Bar in Taos quite good.
And in LosAlamos/WhiteRock, Pig+Fig worth the drive; solid bistro food, great prices, pretty decent wine list.
In Albq, Form to Table about the best.

mstockley

#8 Post by mstockley » February 25th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Wow! Awesome recommendations all. Checked them out and looks like there are some great options for dinner. Will have to figure out if it's worth the hassle check bags with wine or go carry on. Cheers!
M @ r k

JWalter

#9 Post by JWalter » February 25th, 2020, 7:17 pm

La Casa Sena is a great spot in Santa Fe. The wine shop and restaurant have the same list and both are very good. I find prices to be fair too...

Chris Murphy
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Well...

#10 Post by Chris Murphy » February 25th, 2020, 8:19 pm

TomHill wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:12 pm
For wine shops: Kokoman in Pojoaque, ArroyoVino, Susan's in SantaFe, CasaSena. Cid's Wine Shop in Taos.
Restaurants: ArroyoVino in SantaFe the best. Can buy in their wine shop and have in the restaurant, no loophole needed. Casa Sena and TerraCotta also good. In Taos, CommonFire has a great wine list.
Parcht Wine Bar in Taos quite good.
And in LosAlamos/WhiteRock, Pig+Fig worth the drive; solid bistro food, great prices, pretty decent wine list.
In Albq, Form to Table about the best.
Good recommendations by Tom. Kokoman in Pojoaque is a great shop, just don’t judge the wine selection by the outside appearance, go in and check out the selection. Also Cheese Monger in Santa Fe for meats and cheeses if eating at home. Trattoria A Mano has a great Italian wine list. I need to get to Arroyo Vino next time I am there.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 25th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Great recommendations. I am copying them for my next trip.
PlanoWino

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jeremy C » February 25th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Arroy Vino is very good. Just be aware that it is a bit outside Santa Fe proper and the drive at night is quite dark.

La Casa Sena is also quite good and has an even better wine list. If you purchase an annual membership, you are offered retail pricing on their wines at the restuarant. Probably not worth it if you will only be dining one time in that period (unless you’re buying excessibe wine).
Cuth.bert.son

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Doh....

#13 Post by TomHill » February 26th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Doh......I could I possible forget Arioso restaurant in Hernandez.
A pretty idosyncratic restaurant. He has no beer & wine license, so allows you to bring your own wine.
The food is some of the best in Northern NM. French/Italian based.
Tom

Return to “Wine Talk”