TN: 1990 Sociando-Mallet

1990 Sociando-Mallet. This came up at a local auction recently. Given recent discussions here on the estate, I decided to put in a reasonable bid for 9 bottles (EUR 50 per bottle), to give it a try. First time buying at auction. Went well and had the wine picked last week, and opened a first bottle this weekend, the one with the lowest shoulder (which was still pretty high). Pop and pour (although the pop was a bit difficult due to the cork being soaked). Disclaimer: I rarely drink Bordeaux, so take my notes with a grain of salt. At first, reticent nose, but that changed after 10 minutes in the glass. Strong, deep pencil shavings and tobacco on the nose, no red fruits to be spotted. But intriguing nonetheless. On the palate however, this wine shines. It’s not a blockbuster wine, but tannins are well integrated with sufficient acidity to keep the wine interesting. Medium / long length. Definitely not on the downhill side for my palate. It paired well with a steak tartare / fries plate. A good introduction to the wine (I guess the vintage helps) and I look forward to trying the other bottles. When you think of current wine price inflation, this wine is excellent QPR.

I opened my one bottle of the 95 last month. It was stern, old-school, definitely more structure than fruit. But it was an enjoyable experience over dinner in its own way.

It’s one of those wines where it’s hard to tell if it would get better with more age. I’d lean towards yes, but it wasn’t obvious.

The 1990 SM was always a very good wine, although probably not the star of the vintage as somebody claimed at the time. But a nice combination of structured power and balance, unlike some of the harder examples that followed. 1996 was pretty good too, though…

Thanks for the insights. “Structured power and balance” and “old school” sound appropriate denominators to the wine I tasted as well. But a nice discovery nonetheless!

Sounds good, Jozef, and you got a good price too! I had a 90 last year which tasted as you describe - it was very youthful. The only point which has stopped me buying any more is that the 01 is at least as good, but cheaper - there’s plenty around so you should try one!

Thank you Julian, I will be on the lookout for some 01s then. Also have ordered some 98s which I need to try over the next months. Different animal apparently, but around 30 EUR, not really a risk. Funny thing is I need to pick them up in Beaune - difficult to find a decent burgundy at that price these days :slight_smile:.

Sure, 2001 is cheaper but imo not nearly as good as the 1990.

I’d look for the 1989 first, at similar pricing as the 1990.

I agree. The 90 Sociando is on a different level then any other vintage of S-M I’ve tried, as much as I am a fan of the other vintages. Ok, correct bottles of the 82 may be even better than the 90, but the 82 is plagued by bottle variation in a way the ever consistent 1990 isn’t.

I guess there’s still time for the younger vintages to give the 90 a run for the crown — I think the 05 is the current contender — but my money is still on the big bad 90.

How is it that this thread is already 2 days old and Alfert hasn’t peed all over it, marking his territory as he is wont to do? Alfert, you switch over to Burgundy after last weekend??

My lips are sealed. We’ve been warned. What happens there stats there.

[berserker.gif]

I love Sociando , always a great value . And indeed , you can find it on the cheap at Sylvies !