TN: 2003 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken

This will not be my wine of the year but it sure was highly drinkable, a great match for Wiener schnitzel vom kalb and a really positive surprise. I’ve had my fair share of Dönnhoff’s entry level dry Rieslings and based on them I would not have guessed a hot year wine to age this gracefully. Only 11,5 g/l ABV, too.

• 2003 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken - Germany, Nahe (22.2.2020)
    The color is somewhat surprisingly very bright with a nice yellow tone. The nose is likewise bright and awfully attractive in a citrusy way with notes of apple and peach and hints of petrol. Mosel Fine Wines often talk about a whipped cream note and there is some of that here too. On the palate there is really good richness to it yet it also has nicely linear acidity, finishing pleasantly tangy and waxy. Surprisingly energetic, I don’t think I would easily guess this to be a hot year’s product. Drinks younger than its years without a doubt, and drinks well. Age has not brought spectacular complexity but by all means this must be considered a success.

Posted from CellarTracker