TN; 1990 Domaine Bart Chambertin Clos de Beze

Cork came out perfectly and was in great condition, little bit of bottle stink when I first opened it so I decanted into the Jancis Robinson old wine decanter.
The nose is sous bois with a touch of varnish, as the wine opens over 2 hours the nose deepens and some small red berries appear. The wine shows good (but not spectacular) length with a haunting finish that clings to my back palate in between sips, well balanced acidity and a little sweetness that is typical of aged wine rounds out this bottle. A refined and solid Grand Cru that was very enjoyable but not earth shattering, if I was inclined to score the bottle it would be 92 pts.

C16C215D-7227-432E-BDDC-835172E2DF4D.jpeg
748FBEC1-988A-4AEC-8BF9-F126B4937BF7.jpeg
BB2894FD-791E-486C-87BC-42BD1BF66B76.jpeg

Great producer , excellent wines including Marsannays. And reasonably priced

Thanks for the note. I recently picked up the 2003 for a song, and am looking forward to trying it.

Really? I have always had the impression that they weren’t the most consistent producer. Prices have always been good, but I’ve never bought any.

Based on this experience I wouldnt be putting them in the top bracket of Burgundy producers, although it was enjoyable just not magical.

i think i know where you got yours. i bought 2 of the bonnes mares from 2003…$100 each? figured it was worth a shot.

That’s the place. I had the Bonnes Mares last week for Valentine’s day. No formal note, but if memory serves it was surprisingly fresh given the vintage, and while it didn’t have the depth or complexity I might expect in a Grand Cru, it was still very good for that price point. It got better as the night went along, so suggest giving it some air if opening soon.

appreciate the note and advice! my expectations are tempered by the price but ive been pleasantly surprised by some of these less celebrated producers.

Well… I have not had any of their wines from the past century so cannot judge about the past.
My comment is about the last 10+ years and consistency has improved. I love their Marsannay Champs Salomon for what it is (and others) but it aint la Romanee Conti… Wines are reliably enjoyed.
2003 is generally a tough vintage to judge depth and complexity though.

Recent vintages of this wine are out of this world good.

Interesting. I have a couple of bottles of 99 Bonnes Mares left. I must have opened a bottle or two previously but I don’t really recall any impressions. I do recall that it was very well priced when purchased.

I agree with Antoine - this is a serious domaine. Historically, the wines had a little too much oak for me when less than 5 years old - 1998-2008 - as they aged no problem. I’ve no personal recollection of wines older than 1998. Since nephew Pierre Bart has more winemaking responsibility the oak is no-longer front of house - I think it a very fine address.

They have the Bèze, Bonnes Mares – largely planted in 1934 – because they are relations of the Clairs, so the vines were once part of Clair-Daü. Bruno Clair’s sister is Pierre’s grandmother.

I like the wines and have had some excellent bottles 1988 to 2002 … (nothing younger). However usually not reaching the highest heights of quality, they often had a slightly rustic touch, but nevertheless very satisfying and enjoyable to drink when mature, not only the GCs but also the Fixin Hervelets …

I think their Bonnes Mares is exclusively terres blanches so it cannot be compared to standard Bonnes Mares (either terres rouges or a mix of both like Roumier who incidently has bought (?) now more terres blanches). Bill can correct me if I am wrong.

Antoine,
you are (almost) right, most of the Bart vineyard is “above” the road, only a tiny part reaches below it … so it´s kind of more of a Chambolle-Musigny than a Morey-SD in character …