2010 white Burgundy blind tasting ( 11 wines )

Yesterday , our wine-club decided to taste 11 wines from 2010 blind . . I was suspicious of premox …

1. lot’s of acidity , chalk , white flowers . Flinty like Chablis but too severe now . Not pleasing . 90/100 ( Dauvissat Chablis Clos )
  2. Advanced evolving to oxidation . NR ( Dauvissat Peruses )
  3. Still closed but a wine of class . Good concentration , elegant . 92+/100 ( Puligny Perrieres Carillon )
  4. Beautiful nose , nutty and very creamy , fully ready , perfect now . Not the greatest of class but delicious . 93/100 ( Arnaud Ente Meursault Clos des Ambres )
  5. Badly premoxed ( Bachelet Monot Puligny Folatieres )
  6. Premoxed ( Puligny Folatiers Francois Carillon )
  7. smoky oak , crisp , nice but the oak gives the finish a dry touch 90/91 ( Boisson Vadot Meursault Grand Charrons )
  8. Very floral , I thought this was a Puligny . Elegant wine , white flowers . 93/100 ( Corton Charlemagne Marc Colin )
  9. very pure and long , fresh , wet stones , a top class wine 95/100 ( PYCM Corton Charlemagne )
  10. good but not great , slightly of balance . Nice wine that lacks some power and focus . 92/100 ( Sauzet Batard Montrachet )
  11. Wow wine , creamy and wide , floral , peachy and citrus . Lot’s of creamy extract . My wotn . 98/100 ( Ramonet Batard Montrachet )

Combined votes of the 10 tasters :
first place : Batard Ramonet ( 9 first places )
second place : CC PYCM
Third place : Meursault Clos des Ambres A. Ente .

A couple of comments

• The Ramonet was my contribution . I opened it in my cellar around 2.00 pm and tasted it . It was really closed . Tasted it again at 6.00 pm , still very closed so I double decanted it . We had the wine around 9.00 pm and it had completely changed and had opened up beautifully .
  • 3 premox wines : ugly , Dauvissat no surprise .
  • While I admire Allen Meadows work tremendously , I cannot understand that he scores the Chablis Clos a 96 and the Ente a 89 . The Chablis is overrated and the Ente underrated imho .
  • I am overall suspicious of 2010 : the best wines are magical but there are too many disappointments . This is not an overall great vintage for white Burgundy .

Thanks for the notes Herwig. Was the third wine was a Jacques Carillon (as opposed to the Folatieres from Francois)?

Yes , Jacques

Glad I have drunk my 2010s. I wish I could still age white Burgundy, but it is really risky these days.

I marvel every time I read such a report. With the huge amount of strong evidence such as this, it is incredible that white burgundy has fairly well managed to maintain its stature and pricing over the past two decades. I think there is no product in the world where such a level of failure has been accepted.

My friend from the wine club told me he had over 6 bottles of Ramonet premier cru 2010 premoxed

Many thanks Herwig.
I will start to drink my Carillon and Dauvissat up
Already started with a very fresh Carillon Village
https://www.instagram.com/p/B83_I3aHA8b/?igshid=77llkjmqch1s