2016 liquid farm white hill

Wow are the liquid farm generally, and the 2016 White Hill Chardonnay specifically, terrific. The wines generally are delish young, and they are surprisingly inexpensive, particularly if you buy them on one of their frequent deals. I thought they must not be as good as they seem, or that they would fall apart with age, or … WRONG! They only get better and better with age. A recent 2014 Golden Slope chard was fabulous. The 2016 White hill chard has great depth of fruit and length. Californiaish fruit forward, sure, but with great fruit/acid balance. Compared to what you can get from French chard for similar bucks, this is a major bargain. Wines like Liquid Farm chard and Rivers Marie Chard (very different but also amazing wines for the money), make it clear that these are world-class great underpriced gems.

Hey Bill. Yep, Jeff is on to something. And, they’re even better out of mag. If you haven’t already tried them, the Arnot Roberts Chards are really excellent as well.

I want t let some of my LF Chards age, but it’s hard to keep my hands off of them. Great wine.

I whole heartedly agree. I have bought LF from the start. Jeff and crew are great people.

Absolutely love LF.

Curious about the reference to “frequent deals.” Is there another LF sale besides Berserker Day?

K&L and Bottle Barn have frequent deals.

Good prices at Bristol Farms too, in case you’re near one. I think their more limited cuvees are only available direct though (maybe not?)

Jeff and his gang are certainly hitting their strides once again and I couldn’t be happier for them. Even though our tasting rooms are literally next to each other in Los Olivos, I don’t get over there and taste very often so I’m excited to try some of their new releases tomorrow at Falltacular . . .

Cheers!

I love the White Hill

Hi Bill!

Stopped by their tasting room just yesterday in large part because of your praise and
I thought “Bill was right”.

Really nice Chardonnays though not so much their Pinot.

Hope you-all doing well.

Pat

Hi Pat!

Are you in California now?

I get a bottle of Pinot every year with my B-day order, honestly I’ve never opened one. What didn’t you like about the reds?
I love all the whites btw.

I’m not a big Pinot enthusiast, but I think their single vineyard Pinots are pretty great. I find them to be very well balanced, elegant, and decently complex for their age. They tend to not have a ton of new oak, and they are a nice contrast to a lot of the bigger CA Pinots (which I also like).

The Radian especially for me, I love what the team is doing with the fruit from that vineyard. My friend Heather and I are visiting there on Tuesday, looking forward to tasting through some stuff, will post thoughts here, but they’ve been a fave of mine for a while now.

Best,

Mike

I checked my notes from the visit. My impression was “nice but light” and “nothing special”.
Their Pinot may have suffered from comparison. My impression from a few days in S.B. is that there are many really nice Pinots and this one
was not in the top group. Also, it was priced about the same as others.

As a newer member here, I’m so happy to see all the love for LF. I initially found out about them through a Pinot Noir offering K&L had on sale. After hearing their Chardonnays were even better, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Los Olivos during the July 4th break last year. They have quickly moved up to the top of my list of domestic Chardonnay producers for their price range.

Jeff, Brian, and the rest of the team are all terrific people. I got married in Paso Robles last October and drove to their Lompoc location to pick up wine for the wedding. They were extremely generous with allowing us to purchase older vintages, magnum bottles, etc. Amongst other selections, we served quite a bit of 2014 Golden Slope and 2014 Four. Our guests finished everything! And these were folks that tend to only drink heavy reds and almost no white wine at all.