TNs: Tempier, Metras, Peay Vineyard at Kochi NYC

TNs: Tempier, Metras, Peay Vineyard at Kochi NYC

Enjoyed meeting up with 3 other foodie companions for my first go at the 9-course Korean tasting menu at Kochi in Hell’s Kitchen, NYC.

2018 Dom. Tempier Bandol Blanc
With golden tinge on a bright yelliw robe. Aromatic and floral. Quite intense, refreshing cool ripe white fruit, mineral components. In fine form. Excellent length. A-

2011 Yvon Metras Moulin-a-Vent
Leafy, herb, red fruit bouquet. With austere character, but enjoyed pleasant high acidity and the complimentary layers of mineral and fruit. I’m not much of a gamay drinker, but my Metras experiences have been positively enlightening. B+/A-

2010 Peay Vineyards Estate Sonoma Coast Chardonnay
My first ever wine from this producer, sniffed some reductive notes and unsure whether apparent cloudiness is intentional wine style or otherwise. NR.

2012 Peay Vineyards Ana Estate Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Smelled sweet fruit and confection. Ripe but with gentle sweetness and hints of fresh herbs and cinnamon. Drinking nicely. B+

882EC2B6-2877-4C7E-AB24-7B855B7E8779.jpeg

Bandol Blanc for the win! Awesome to see someone else here enjoying the heck out of one of them.

Love me Metras.
How was Kochi?

I thought Peay was in the ‘Ceritas, Littorai’ lean acid driven style?

Yep, someone has to pound the table here on standout Clairette, Ugni and Bourboulenc grapes!

Seriously, this blanc trounced the already fine same vintage Tempier rosé on a head-to-head tasting.

Kochi was good, less nouveau in style than Atoboy, but better priced, only if you refrain from adding supplements.

I thought they were stronger in fish and vegetables.

I wished they had refrained from pouring our wines for us, as they tend to over-pour, i.e. close to emptying a bottle in one round. Good/decent stemwares.

Heard from the manager that they will have liquor license very soon and will then start charging $25/bottle corkage, which imo is still a good deal.

I’ll be back.

Edited to add: photo of some dishes
28394610-EEF6-4F50-8B72-4136F51696EA.jpeg

I’m sorry I don’t know enough about this producer.
Perhaps, Julie, who brought the Peay bottles, will chime in.

No surprise. I like the rosé well enough but I find the blanc easily more intriguing. Also on my overly sensitive palate the rosé sometimes suffers from the highish ABV.

It is lower alcohol, acidic and not overripe fruit. Not sure about Ceritas and Littorai style. It’s Estate fruit is similar to Other west Sonoma coast wine style. It does keep pretty significant fruit in the wine. So that over time the acid fades and it may feel like the fresh fruit also remains. These were bottles from 2010 and 2012.

Ramon, I wish we had tried them open like you suggested insteaD or staggering them like the restaurant suggested then we could have seen if it was different at open and followed the wines better.