2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis

I took notice last year that JLL had reviewed the 17 version of this quite a bit higher than normal, so I decided to get a six pack. An expensive wine probably for its unheralded grape origin but wow was I impressed. So much Rhône character in a glass and imo really a deal at $35.

Here’s my CT note:
1st ever go at this wine and it definitely impressed much beyond its vin de pays nobility. Upon opening it was Very brined olives and plentiful ore of earth. Not giving a lot of fruit but it’s clear cherries are hidden behind the initial walls. Good acid and tannin round it out. 12 hours later more of the fruit is revealed with plenty of black cherry here. Really nice stuff, definitely can hold or decant for at least a few hours.

Seems like the 18 is $50 now, has anybody had it? I’m tempted but I wish I would have bought more when it was a bit better deal. Although as mentioned JLL seems to think it’s taken an uptick in quality the last couple of years.

I have some of this in my cellar, not sure if I have tried it yet. However, I did drink the 2017 Auguste Clape Rhone last night. No notes, but it was quite good.

Not too young?

I haven’t had the '17, but these wines normally should be treated like a Cornas-light as opposed to a typical CdR. The 2006 and 2007 are both drinking well now, for example, but are in no danger of decline.

I do not think I have ever had it before, so my experience with this producer is limited. However, I thought it was just fine. It was better on night two. But upon PnP on night one, it’s not like it was so tightly coiled that is was unenjoyable. It was an impulse grab from the cooler. Had I looked at the price paid beforehand, I probably would not have been so cavalier about it. I told my wife after finishing the bottle, “That was really good, I will have to make sure to order more of that.” I thought it was $25, like the Vin des Amis pricing. Then I saw it was over $50 and slowed my roll.

I had the Vin des Amis (bought on closeout rack at Posner’s) last Fri, to me this was pretty hard, there’s a little bacon, herb, and black fruit, but closed. Only had the one but if I had more would hold or give long decant.

I think these lesser Clape bottlings drink pretty well on release and then hang in there without shutting down. 2011 CdR has been drinking great, but I am down to my last bottle. 2015 was amazing right at release, I used that to turn a lot of people on to N Rhône. Wine store by me now sells CdR for $75 so I am way out…