Denver or Breckenridge wine store?

Hello all. I have an upcoming trip where I will be driving from DEN to Breckenridge. Looking for recommendations for a wine store in Denver, or one in Breckenridge. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Have a relative in Denver who appreciates wine. She is always happy to receive a gift card from Divino. She’s bought wine there as a gift for me and they seem to know their stuff.

I’ve had wines from Infinite Monkey. If you’d enjoy visiting an urban winery:

Cheers!

The better ones aren’t close to I 70. This one is OK.

If you want to get a good lunch and pick up some really good Colorado wines, check out
http://creeksidecellars.net/ not too far off I 70 on your way to Breck.

2 Likes

Any experience with Bottle Shop 33 in Denver?

From what I could find, Breckenridge is a wine abyss. I hit every shop I could find, and found nothing of interest to me. Haven’t looked much in Denver, but there is a great shop inside “The Source” where the Crooked Stave tasting room is located. If you go, ask about the wines upstairs.

Great shop at the Vail base, but doesn’t sound like you’re heading near there.

1 Like

I would go with Michael’s suggestion of Applejack. Right off 1-70 just on the way up to Breck and they have a large selections of wine and what other spirits you might want.

1 Like

Denver is pretty much a wine desert if price is a factor. Applejack is (barely) competitive nationally per wine-searcher only during their sales. Total Beverage in Westminster used to be pretty good or better, maybe the best in the greater Denver area, but I haven’t been in a long while.

If you are willing to drive further afield (eg boulder), feel free to PM me if you’d like a few more suggestions.

The Total Wines scattered about the metro area are probably the best for price and selection, but the effort to get to one may outweigh the benefit.

1 Like

+2

My in-laws love Creekside and Evergreen is a great little town.

Applejack is right on the way and has an excellent selection of wines at all price levels. Friendly, professional staff. You could shop online and have the order ready for pickup as well.

1 Like

Dont plan on buying wine in Breck. Get it in Denver before you start the drive for sure.

Basecamp in Frisco and Dillon Ridge Liquors have an ok selection once you’re in Summit. Definitely agree that you should buy before you get to Breck. Applejack is huge, so you should be able to find something that works there.

Once in Breck, Hearthstone has probably the best wine list, and their happy hour is worth it. Giampietro’s has a few solid pizza wines by the glass usually. Also, if you like beer, Ein Prosit in Frisco and Outer Range Brewing in Frisco are worth checking out.

I live in Breck so pm me if you have any questions!

Have fun!

Yup…Applejack has a large selection…of commodity wines.
DiVino on Broadway is small… but a well-curated selection. Argonaut has a pretty good selection.
And I’ve been told HarryHoffman’s is pretty good!! :slight_smile:
Tom

I’ve picked up some interesting bottles in Cherry Creek (Denver) at:

https://vineyardwineshop.com/

Anyone??

I hate to steer this thread in a different direction (but don’t necessarily want to start another thread), but does anyone have recommendations for a wine shop in Aspen?

I really only need quaffable wines for the end of the ski day–nothing terribly expensive. It seems Aspen Grog Shop, Aspen Wine and Spirits, and Sundance Liquor (Snowmass) are the biggest shops in Aspen.

Definitely buy in Denver because selection in Breck is poor. Divino, as previous noted, is good. I would also recommend Mondo Vino in Highlands. Both are a bit of a detour off of your route west but not terrible in terms of a reroute. Applejack is vast and will be a little more mainstream in its offerings.

@Bruce, never heard of Bottle Shop 33.

The wine shop in the Source building is small but lots of interesting wines. Sadly the crooked stave taproom
closed. Applejack is probably your best bet

For interesting selections the afore mentioned Mondo Vino and Vineyards are good, small well selected shops. Applejacks is the classic grocery store sized place with large selection and is probably the most frequented shop on the Denver Airport → Mtns route.While not my selections, Applejacks is much better than the stores up in the mtns generally. Some places are decent but you have to get lucky cause selection is quite small. Buy in Denver for sure.

Ok I am going to steer you even further. There is a tiny wine store, Silt Discount Liquors, in Silt Colorado, which is about 15 minutes west of Glenwood Springs down valley from Aspen. I met the owner who is also the former mayor of Silt and he told me he was one of the highest volume wine stores on the Western Slope. Why? People drive from Aspen to purchase his wines.
Intrigued I stopped in. He has some well selected Italian wines and a menagerie of other things up front, but then he has a small wine room in back with all kinds of stuff. He only has a few bottles of everything, but lots of SKU’s.
I found some nicely aged moderate priced wines there. I try and stop in whenever I head west on 70.

If you decide to make the trip, it’s the second liquor store after you go through the round about off the interstate.

1 Like

I agree with buying before you get into the mountains. I enjoy stopping in at Mondo Vino. https://www.mondovinodenver.com
If you’re in a pinch for time Applejack is fine