Given these these aromas and flavors, please suggest some wines.

Looking for a dark red/black fruited wine, black cherry perhaps. I really like notes of anise, clove, star anise, black licorice, tar and earth. A tannic spine is good, but nothing for formidable. Something actually available, please. Thank you in advance.

Zin. Turley Ueberroth and maybe Estate (Napa)

“The earthy aromas and flavors feature dark cherry, herbs, dried Oolong tea, and cardamom spice. Its medium bodied frame is buttressed by strong acidity, giving the wine both elegance and structure that will enable it to drink beautifully when young, yet age effortlessly for a decade or more.”

$45-55 on Winesearcher mainly at stores in NY (where I notice you are from). Won’t have the tar, but seems to hit other aspects you noted.

Some cool climate Santa Barbara Syrahs fit that profile with maybe black raspberry vs black cherry being the only concession. Bien Nacido vineyards can produce some nice ones. Try Jaffurs, Ojai, possibly some other winemakers as well. They all have a BN version.

2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo ?

It sounds like you’re describing Barolo or Barbaresco. Though they usually have “formidable” tannins, unless you’re buying a mature bottle rather than a current release.

The compromise might be a Langhe Nebbiolo, which is made from the same variety but are less tannic and reasonably ready to drink younger. The darker fruit profile you’re requesting might suggest a more modern-styled version.

Some names:

Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Disanfrancesco

Paolo Scavino Langhe Nebbiolo

Giuseppe Cortese Langhe Nebbiolo

Terre Rouge Mourvedre?

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/terre+rouge+sierra+foothills+mourv%c3%a8dre/2012/usa/usd

Jeff, can you:

(1) suggest a price range you’re looking for, and

(2) indicate what types of wine stores you have available to you?

Those two pieces of information would really help people give you more useful recommendations. For example, if you’re looking for a $20 wine you can buy at BevMo or the supermarket, it’s not going to do you much good to get recommendations for $50 wines that you can usually only find at serious wine stores.

The 2017 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County might also be in the ballpark with darker fruit, spice , some of that tar and earth going on. Good balance, a little higher on the alcohol.
P.S. Enjoying a glass right now with a chicken salad sandwich as I post.

Anise, clove, and licorice are going to come predominantly from the secondary flavors–in particular new French oak for those. I associate tar and earth mostly as primary flavors of Nebbiolo and somewhat syrah. Maybe a modern Barolo that is aged in French oak? Probably most things in the modern column from this thread: Traditional vs. Modern Barolo / Barbaresco - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Yup and maybe 2013 Vietti Castiglione

Maybe modern Barolo/Nebbiolo. I did try a 2016 Moccagatta Bric Balin but that seemed too heavily oaked. I also had the 2015 Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero. It was fabulous and provided many of the flavor and aromas that I seek. Unfortunately, due to price and scarcity, I cannot buy this in quantity.

How about Clos Mogador? I often associate anise/licorice flavors with Priorat, although that’s admittedly a sweeping generalization. Its got dark cherries in spades though, and structure, but not too much toughness to be enjoyed this year. A 2015 I tasted recently was really delicious.

Foradori base teroldego?

Jeff,

Consider Sicily.

Valle dell’Acate Cerasuolo di Vittoria

Or the wines of COS

2016 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva…$26 BevMo!

Bonus…WS rated it 97pts!

Douro reds.

Jeff, I realize that I have given you “answers”, when I should have given you questions. Chris had the wisdom to do both (a poster to pay attention to, in general). I’ll add a couple of my own questions to Chris’ good ones.
-What is your time frame for drinking the wine?
-Will you be the primary “enjoyer” of the wines?

Interesting exercise!

Cheers -Jim

Price range = <$100 for sure, <$50 even better.
I have a few decent wine shops in town; however, 80+% of my wine is purchased online.
As for time frame, I am age 57, so not really looking for something that requires 15+ years in the cellar.
Primary enjoyer?? I purchase what I like.

I have a bottle of the 2015 in the cellar. Will give it a go for pizza night today.