TN: 2017 Fontodi Chianti Classico

Darker brick red, with some reduced notes, soil, and loads of freshly turned earth. Love the tension, juicy middle, and purity. Very good, and better in the short/middle term. Didn’t expect to like this as much as I do in this vintage. Bravo! Drink 2022-2034. highly recommended+

Posted from CellarTracker

Would you say classic style or modern style?

Thanks Tim - any standouts from Anteprima that surprised you?

Thanks! Good to hear that one of the world’s greatest wine values is kicking it again in 2017.

I typically enjoy this one more than the Vigna del Sorbo “Riserva”.

Traditional, no modern signature in this vintage. Love it.

yes, there were about 10 (of ~ 350 tasted during 16 hours) that simply murdered it. I’ll post those at some point. Leaving Greve in Chianti for Benvenuto Brunello/Montalcino in the morning, then on to Le Marche, Abruzzo, Umbria, Lazio, and circling back to Chianti Classico. After that, I’ve decided on a week in Puglia (Lecce, Ostuni, Manduria, etc.)

Fwiw, I spent today buying those wines at their respective cantine, and I’ve already delivered/shipped to my cellar in Colorado. A full , gloriously warm and pleasant day here in Tuscany.

I lamented to my table partner for these two days of tasting in Firenze, Greg dal Piaz, that I miss the elegant Sorbo of 20 years ago. That said, the latest release of Sorbo is good (most would say outstanding), but it’s just not what I want to drink anymore. If I owned some, it would be to open for friends that gravitate to this style.

Besides Felsina and Fontodi, Fonterutoli is the third “F” that I’ve always enjoyed.

Thanks Tim…looking forward to your post.