#51 Post by Dwizzo » February 25th, 2020, 7:25 pm

2017 that sketchy of a year?
Daniel W

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Scarecrow allocation

#52 Post by Bdklein » February 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

It’s bookended by better (according to the critics and those ITB).
Bruce Klein

Bob C

#53 Post by Bob C » February 26th, 2020, 12:19 am

Yep, sure enough, the roommate received an offer to purchase a 3L for $5K today.

Unfortunately, the window to purchase opens tomorrow, so not much time to think about this. The only reason he'd purchase, would be to flip it for a profit. $5K on a restaurant servers budget...

So, anyone have any advice on this? Odds of being able to get north of $5K in return?

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Bdklein » February 26th, 2020, 1:49 am

Bob C wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 12:19 am
Yep, sure enough, the roommate received an offer to purchase a 3L for $5K today.

Unfortunately, the window to purchase opens tomorrow, so not much time to think about this. The only reason he'd purchase, would be to flip it for a profit. $5K on a restaurant servers budget...

So, anyone have any advice on this? Odds of being able to get north of $5K in return?
My opinion. Not worth the risk unless you are ok keeping it.

1. Down year in terms of ratings/vintage, surrounded by 2 good years (in all likelihood).
2. Big premium for the bottle size .
3. Economy/stock market on edge.
4. Asia area in a major state of flux.
5. Multiple sellers on Commerce Corner ( with no visual demand).
Bruce Klein

Michael Fess
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Michael Fess » February 26th, 2020, 6:40 am

Bruce makes all really great points on the 3L. Probably better off buying a few gold medallions if you want an investment. More than double the price of the Mag with the down year.
Just my thoughts is when the '18's are offered, there will be a price increase of at least $50/bottle(I hope I am wrong). This was the wrong year for an increase based on the vintage.
These wines will go the distance as I have had an 2003 and 2007 over the past year and both are still going strong.

Bill G

#56 Post by Bill G » February 26th, 2020, 6:45 am

Bdklein wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 1:49 am
Bob C wrote:

1. Down year in terms of ratings/vintage, surrounded by 2 good years (in all likelihood).
Very solid points here.
G u t k n e c h t

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 26th, 2020, 7:27 am

Is Scarecrow even that hot of a wine anymore? I was looking at aggregate producer scores on CT and there are other producers, like Maybach, who score higher and are much less expensive. Are we chasing a trend that was hot 10+ years ago? This isn’t a troll...I bought last year and the year before.

Michael Fess
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Michael Fess » February 26th, 2020, 7:58 am

If the prices keep escalating then I see this as a wine that will lose its luster. Though a very well made wine like Harlan, once it cannot be afforded by most or most will not want to pay the tariff, then I think the trend will be over. Remember this was only suppose to be a $150/bottle several years ago so everyone could enjoy. I don't beget them raising based on secondary prices, but at $400/bottle with tax and high shipping costs added in, Maybach/Myriad/R-M are all cheaper and have excellent track records.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Jeff_M. » February 26th, 2020, 8:59 am

Michael Fess wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 7:58 am
If the prices keep escalating then I see this as a wine that will lose its luster. Though a very well made wine like Harlan, once it cannot be afforded by most or most will not want to pay the tariff, then I think the trend will be over. Remember this was only suppose to be a $150/bottle several years ago so everyone could enjoy. I don't beget them raising based on secondary prices, but at $400/bottle with tax and high shipping costs added in, Maybach/Myriad/R-M are all cheaper and have excellent track records.
Agree. All of us have an imaginary price line where we no longer buy and move on to another winery. Scarecrow is right around that threshold for myself. It is the most expensive wine I buy annually. I figure if the price stays steady I can get a few more vintages before I move on.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Scott Brunson » February 26th, 2020, 9:50 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 8:59 am
Michael Fess wrote:
Agree. All of us have an imaginary price line where we no longer buy and move on to another winery. Scarecrow is right around that threshold for myself. It is the most expensive wine I buy annually. I figure if the price stays steady I can get a few more vintages before I move on.
Ditto
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by JFPelletier » February 26th, 2020, 11:26 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 9:50 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 8:59 am
Michael Fess wrote:
Ditto
Same for me. I love the wines, but at that price it is becoming difficult to justify, and for that price one can get a great bottle of Burgundy or Bordeaux.

JF

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Steve L Gellman » February 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Every year I’m on the fence. It’s the most expensive wine I buy. There is just something special to it

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Scott Brunson » February 26th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Steve L Gellman wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Every year I’m on the fence. It’s the most expensive wine I buy. There is just something special to it
also ditto
I served it several times at blind tastings of Napa cults.
It kicked ass every time.

I passed on the mag and the 3L.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mike Reff

#64 Post by Mike Reff » February 26th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Received the postcard in the mail today. Three bottles
"My very favorite miserable New Yorker" - Jonathan Sirot
"all you are is a sorry ass little big mouthed punk who thinks he is hot sh*t" - Jonathan Sirot

rick m

#65 Post by rick m » February 26th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Bob C wrote:

3L is rare but at $5k...big pass for me. I couldn't find any take even at cost for 2014 mag and that was awarded 100pts
ITB
rick matsui

Dwizzo

#66 Post by Dwizzo » February 26th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Only 85 3L made, I like the rarity. Have they offered 3L in the past?
Daniel W

Bob C

#67 Post by Bob C » February 26th, 2020, 11:50 pm

Bdklein wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 1:49 am
Bob C wrote:

Thanks Bruce.

Yeah, definitely some good points. He's more than likely going to pass unless he can find a buyer to take it on at cost. Idea being, he's offered again next year for more than likely a better year, plus should be some info on secondary prices from previous year available.

Mike Van1

#68 Post by Mike Van1 » February 27th, 2020, 4:43 am

Allocated one 3-pack for 4 March. Bought ‘15 and ‘16 vintages. On the fence on buying this year. Interest from the usual professional secondary market purchasers isn’t there this year even at near cost. I really want the ability to purchase the ‘18 next year so may have to suck it up and buy the ‘17 for my own consumption which isn’t a bad thing. After ‘18 I may more than likely tap out as I expect a price increase and it’s already beyond my threshold as it is.
V-one

JohnP

#69 Post by JohnP » February 27th, 2020, 8:44 am

Have any previous buyers of SC had experience with missing an allocation (maybe 2011) and still received SC offer the next vintage? I've heard that if you miss a single offering, you're off the list the following year, even if you've been a longtime buyer.
John Pollard

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Bdklein » February 27th, 2020, 9:01 am

Michael Fess wrote:
Are there Myriad and R-M wines that have gotten the scores over the years that Scarecrow does ? Maybach ?
Bruce Klein

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Bdklein » February 27th, 2020, 9:03 am

JohnP wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 8:44 am
Have any previous buyers of SC had experience with missing an allocation (maybe 2011) and still received SC offer the next vintage? I've heard that if you miss a single offering, you're off the list the following year, even if you've been a longtime buyer.

You are moved to the bottom of the mailing/wait list (per a friend of mine).
Bruce Klein

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Jeff_M. » February 27th, 2020, 9:24 am

Bdklein wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 9:03 am
JohnP wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 8:44 am

You are moved to the bottom of the mailing/wait list (per a friend of mine).
This is correct and they state this in their offer
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Fess
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Michael Fess » February 28th, 2020, 6:53 am

Bdklein wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 9:01 am
Michael Fess wrote:
Are there Myriad and R-M wines that have gotten the scores over the years that Scarecrow does ? Maybach ?
Absolutely!
Maybach Materium has scored mid 90's and higher almost every vintage(2011 and 2017 as an exception) along with back to back 100 pointers from WA.
Myriad Dr Crane's have been high scoring wines with a few 100 point offerings.
R-M also has a track record of many high 90's.

Don't get me wrong as I am not bashing the wine or winery, I have drank many Scarecrow bottles and I am never disappointed and I am still buying the 2017 and will buy the 2018, though when we are talking close to $500/bottle(or more in the future), will I be more inclined to spend $1500+ on 3 bottles or get 6-12 bottles from the three wineries above or others. Greer is right net door to Scarecrow for $175, Phelps Insigina or Backus are less with an even longer track record. Spottswoode is another. The list can go on on great wines with track records that cost less.
I love Harlan and Bond, but I had to drop them once they went above a certain price.

JFertitta
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by JFertitta » February 28th, 2020, 7:14 am

Mike Van1 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 4:43 am
Allocated one 3-pack for 4 March. Bought ‘15 and ‘16 vintages. On the fence on buying this year. Interest from the usual professional secondary market purchasers isn’t there this year even at near cost. I really want the ability to purchase the ‘18 next year so may have to suck it up and buy the ‘17 for my own consumption which isn’t a bad thing. After ‘18 I may more than likely tap out as I expect a price increase and it’s already beyond my threshold as it is.
I'm in the same boat as you. Got on for 15. 17 is my wedding anniversary so it's an easier buy for me but I really just want the 18. Wife might convince me to stay until 20 for my daughter's birth year though
Jeff

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by R@f@el A. » February 29th, 2020, 6:49 am

I am on the waiting list and, per an email I received from the winery, expect to receive my first allocation next year. I have yet to enjoy a bottle of Scarecrow and would like to try at least one bottle this year before buying at least 3 bottles next year. I have found a few bottles of 2010 Scarecrow available at retailers online and am considering pulling the trigger. Does anyone know how the 2010s are currently drinking and whether the 2010s are representative of the current style winemaking? Thanks in advance.

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Frank Z » February 29th, 2020, 8:27 am

R@f@el A. wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 6:49 am
I am on the waiting list and, per an email I received from the winery, expect to receive my first allocation next year. I have yet to enjoy a bottle of Scarecrow and would like to try at least one bottle this year before buying at least 3 bottles next year. I have found a few bottles of 2010 Scarecrow available at retailers online and am considering pulling the trigger. Does anyone know how the 2010s are currently drinking and whether the 2010s are representative of the current style winemaking? Thanks in advance.
I got a similar email last year in February but not sure if they sent out updates this year. Was your email similar to below?

“As we prepare to release the 2016 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon next month, we wanted to provide an update on your position within our wait list. We appreciate your patience, as the current wait time is roughly 3 years. Based on your sign up date in May of 2018, we estimate you will be getting an invitation to purchase in March of 2021.”
Frank Zhang

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by R@f@el A. » February 29th, 2020, 8:57 am

Frank, I received the exact same email last year but no email yet this year. I am assuming based on last yeas’s email that I will receive my first allocation for the 2018 vintage next March but, given the curious way in which Scarecrow seems to allocate wine, who really knows! :)

Thomas Concilio

#78 Post by Thomas Concilio » March 1st, 2020, 7:38 am

No soup for me. Was told last year I would be on the allocation list for this year. But, with yeilds down...they did send a nice apologetic letter,
ITB - Retail

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by R@f@el A. » March 1st, 2020, 9:17 am

Thomas, keeping my fingers crossed that they are able to move people off the waiting list and into the allocation list next year given what I understand are higher yields in 2018.

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Br1an Th0rne » March 1st, 2020, 12:14 pm

Seems like a lot of folks are selling their 2017 allocation at (and below!) cost. Many up right now in commerce corner..

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 1st, 2020, 12:17 pm

Asking for a friend...

If one were to pass along their 2017 allocation to someone else, say a cousin named Stan, how would one go about conducting the transaction? Does Stan provide his card number and it's then entered into the order, or does the allocation owner use their own payment card and then get paid after the fact via PayPal or some other payment service?

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Jeff_M. » March 4th, 2020, 8:56 am

Order in. Hope the 2018 doesn't go up in price.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by ykwon » March 4th, 2020, 9:03 am

In
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

vwsmaltz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by vwsmaltz » March 4th, 2020, 9:06 am

Order in!
Virgil

JohnP

#85 Post by JohnP » March 4th, 2020, 9:08 am

Order in!
John Pollard

William Anzalone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by William Anzalone » March 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Got my order in for my 3 pack right at 12:00 EST.

I was also offered a mag, which I was suprised to be offered, but did not buy. I logged back in after I purchased my 3 pack but I was no longer able to view my offer. Not sure if the mags sold out but I was more curious than anything.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.-Ben Franklin

del.yap

#87 Post by del.yap » March 4th, 2020, 1:51 pm

William Anzalone wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Got my order in for my 3 pack right at 12:00 EST.

I was also offered a mag, which I was suprised to be offered, but did not buy. I logged back in after I purchased my 3 pack but I was no longer able to view my offer. Not sure if the mags sold out but I was more curious than anything.
You typically only get one chance to order what you want. After your purchase the offer expires. If you want one you'll have to email them.

EricW

#88 Post by EricW » March 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm

I was supposed to be offered the 2017, then told there was not enough, then told that I have access to a first come first served 3 pack offer starting on Wednesday. Did anyone else receive the same offer?

If there’s not enough to go around, will I get kicked to the bottom of the list? The possibility of losing my place wasn’t noted in the email, but I am concerned about that risk. Thanks!
Eric W o l f
CT: esw423

Shay_A

#89 Post by Shay_A » March 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm

EricW wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm
I was supposed to be offered the 2017, then told there was not enough, then told that I have access to a first come first served 3 pack offer starting on Wednesday. Did anyone else receive the same offer?

If there’s not enough to go around, will I get kicked to the bottom of the list? The possibility of losing my place wasn’t noted in the email, but I am concerned about that risk. Thanks!
I got the same chain of emails, and am curious about what happens if passing this go around. Because of the previous email last month saying “we can no longer guarantee your allocation this year”, funds were used for other things.
Shay Aldriedge

Bill G

#90 Post by Bill G » March 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm

EricW wrote:

I got the same offer this evening however, i was never notified that I was going to get any 2017 offering. Total surprise to me.

I feel like a lot of people passed on the 2017 and people far down the list like myself got a shot at some like an M Etain offering.
G u t k n e c h t

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 7th, 2020, 1:53 am

I’m passing on my allocation. No way I’m paying $400 a bottle in a weaker vintage just so I get the “right” to purchase next year. At that price (or even less) there are tons of other wines out there equally good or better.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Bdklein » March 7th, 2020, 6:11 am

Bill G wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm
EricW wrote:

I got the same offer this evening however, i was never notified that I was going to get any 2017 offering. Total surprise to me.

I feel like a lot of people passed on the 2017 and people far down the list like myself got a shot at some like an M Etain offering.
Sounds like the Scarecrow guesstimate of supply vs demand didn’t go the way they thought .
Bruce Klein

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Bdklein » March 7th, 2020, 6:13 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 1:53 am
I’m passing on my allocation. No way I’m paying $400 a bottle in a weaker vintage just so I get the “right” to purchase next year. At that price (or even less) there are tons of other wines out there equally good or better.
Guess you never got an answer to your question? Or at least one that satisfied you? I’ve bought other wine for a very good friend off my allocation and just had it shipped where he wanted . And we settled up the finances at a later time .
Bruce Klein

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 7th, 2020, 6:52 am

Bdklein wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 6:13 am
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
Guess you never got an answer to your question? Or at least one that satisfied you? I’ve bought other wine for a very good friend off my allocation and just had it shipped where he wanted . And we settled up the finances at a later time.
Yeah, no one responded. I suppose someone who wanted to buy this year could use my login info to submit their card info, etc, but I’m not going to pay for a stranger and wait to get paid. Glad you had a friend you could pass it along to.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 7th, 2020, 6:59 am

I just checked my “first come, first serve” allocation a few days after the offer, and it’s still there. Even though it’s supposedly lower production in 2017, doesn’t appear to be selling out that fast.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Bdklein » March 7th, 2020, 7:40 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 6:52 am
Bdklein wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 6:13 am
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
Guess you never got an answer to your question? Or at least one that satisfied you? I’ve bought other wine for a very good friend off my allocation and just had it shipped where he wanted . And we settled up the finances at a later time.
Yeah, no one responded. I suppose someone who wanted to buy this year could use my login info to submit their card info, etc, but I’m not going to pay for a stranger and wait to get paid. Glad you had a friend you could pass it along to.
Gotcha. Just to clarify it wasn’t scarecrow for my friend.
Bruce Klein

Thomas Concilio

#97 Post by Thomas Concilio » March 8th, 2020, 9:05 am

Thomas Concilio wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
No soup for me. Was told last year I would be on the allocation list for this year. But, with yeilds down...they did send a nice apologetic letter,
Well, after getting the no soup for me email, I just recieved an offer for purchase. I guess a lot of folks have decided to not purchase this year. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.
ITB - Retail

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 8th, 2020, 10:14 am

Thomas Concilio wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:05 am
Thomas Concilio wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
Well, after getting the no soup for me email, I just recieved an offer for purchase. I guess a lot of folks have decided to not purchase this year. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.
It all comes down to how enamored of these wines you are. 2017 is not a strong vintage and didn't get the high scores of past years. But 2018 will most likely be a 98-100 point type year for Scarecrow, so buying this year positions you for next. But with that comes a ~$2,600+ investment if you buy this year and next. And that assumes no price increases. Good luck with your decision!

Joe Mendez

#99 Post by Joe Mendez » March 8th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I've never had Scarecrow on the the M'Etain, but what makes SC so special?

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Steve L Gellman » March 8th, 2020, 12:42 pm

It’s a great wine with its own unique taste. Terroir?

Return to “Wine Talk”