TN: 2016 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva

A bit more generous than I was expecting, but there’s plenty of structure, and fresh acidity, too. This is sure to make long-time fans very happy, and will probably make new friends, too. Really long finish, superb purity, and character. Love this. BUY it by the case. 2020-2043. highly recommended+

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Sounds a lot like the '15, which I went fairly deep on! How would you compare the two?

Thanks for the note. I picked up a bottle last weekend at Costco. I will have to try it soon.

I bought 3 bottles of the 15, and just today, 2 cases of the '16. Not sure if our palates align, so I can’t say any more, sorry.

I’m pretty sure you got the 2015

Ordered a mixed case of stuff this morning, even before I saw this TN. The TN got me exited with what to look forward to, even as this is a usual blind buy for me at every vintage.

I find that there are nuanced differences in vintages, but the style and structure are almost always constant and they suit my preference.

One of the wine world’s great values, since at least the 1970s (I’ve not had any older ones). An amazing run of quality and consistency.

Kind of a no-brainer this wine, in this vintage. I opened a bottle (first from a dozen) last evening. Look, it does not have the same intensity and concentration as an Il Poggio (or a Sorbo, etc.) but a great bottle of Sangiovese for the money.

could you post a picture of the label vintage from your case, please? source if inside USA, thanks.

Nope, it’s the 2016. I just checked.

Via wine searcher, I see the 16 for sale at many outfits in the USA.

thanks, Patrick. I’ll ask my wife to stop by our Costco and grab a bunch. Drank their 2018 Chardonnay tonight with a white pizza, good stuff.

Have you went back and tried the 2010? I’m thinking that it may finally be close to ready.

Tim – I’m in Europe. Label picture still relevant?

• 2016 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2/23/2020)
    Fruity, herbal nose. Tons of black cherry, juicy acidity, and surprisingly restrained tannin (for my tastes) after a 2 hour decant. Long, juicy, wet rock finish. So enjoyable.

I find the Il Poggio to be much more elegant than the Sorbo. So while I agree with your comment about intensity/concentration, I would say the comparison of Sorbo to Fontodi CC is not a great analogy for the comparison of Il Poggio to Monsanto’s CCR. I love Il Poggio, but rarely have the same reaction to Sorbo…

FWIW, I had the '04 Il Poggio last week and it is open and expressive! I’m sure it will age just fine, but I wouldn’t hesitate to open now.

Arrival of first ordered batch and, usually, not the last.

7A025257-6BE0-4067-BC73-FF71FC4FD243.jpeg

Forgot how much I liked this wine. Picked up a case at $19.99 free shipping great timing.

Where was $19.99 and free shipping?

had a bottle over the weekend and agree with the consensus here…good value and will appeal to a lot of people.