TNs: A couple Chiantis from the VDLT Sampler

Recieved a 6-pack of Sangiovese from VDLT and these are the first two I grabbed. Hope the notes are helpful.

• 2016 Montefioralle Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2/16/2020)
    Expressive Nose of cardamon, anise and spice cake. Black cherry, peppery, grippy, needs food. Cheese and crakers and retaste.
    Ripe, fruity, layered and balanced, grip manageable with food, young, hides the 15%abv well. Very nice.
  • 2013 Marchesi Gondi Chianti Rùfina Riserva Villa Bossi - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Rùfina (2/16/2020)
    Starting off a little primary. Sweet purple fruit, black currants, flat mid palate with crunchy fruit hiding in the background. Needs some coaxing. Very Zinfandel-like in its flavor profile, bramble, spice and a bit of heat on the finish. Surprised me at 13.5% as the Montefioralle was more blanced at the higher alc level. Needs a good hour decant to coax out the mid-palate.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for notes. I had the 2016 Montefioralle CCR at a dinner a couple weeks ago, a bit big/ripe and woody for me, but thought it might age into something I liked more. Did your sampler include the 2012 Fietri> That was my fave at a VDLT dinner

As a matter of fact…

F1B5CF01-B7AB-4DDF-9637-2E6C2A7FE1E6.jpeg

Brian (and Dale)

Glad to see your thoughts on these and look forward to your experiences with the other wines.

BTW, noticing from your photo of the shipping invoice that the Fietri vintage is misrepresented as 2013 instead of 2012. Sorry!