TN- Great recent US Pinots- Cristom, Littorai, Rhys Alesia, Ceritas, William Selyem

Small pours from a great public tasting today. Wines had been opened about 45 minutes prior with an aggressive decanting right before the start of the tasting (and I was among the first- so right after the decanting.)

2015 Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard

medium red color, sweetish red fruit on the pretty nose but also a strong dose of oak, on the palate very nice ripe cherry tones- black and red- plums, light spice notes, oak less of a presence on the solid mid-weight palate, good finish but with a bit of warmth, drinking nicely now and could develop some with cellaring.

***, now to 2025+

2018 Littorai Pinot Noir Les Larmes

bright plum red color, strawberries and cherries on the alluring nose, pure, on the palate a ripe cuddly fruit, as on the nose- a wonderful purity, moderate palate impact at present but this feels as though it will flesh out further with age, plums, berries, a hint of pepper, good length.

***+, now to 2028+

2016 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains

good red color, game and dark fruits on the lush nose, wild cherries, on the palate fine depth, very primary at present but showing nicely, plums, white mineral streaks, blueberry, cherry, fine spice notes, excellent length, a real beauty drinking nicely now but I would really like to see it with a few years of aging.

(), 2022-2030+

2017 Ceritas Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard Old Shop Block

rich purple color, tight and subdued on the nose at present, hints of cinnamon and dark berries, on the palate most impressive, blueberries, firm tannins, chalk, black fruits, with time a fine intensity of rose petals emerges along with succulent waves of wild cherry fruit, enjoyable today but all the signs are here for an even greater future, my first encounter with this winemaker- and I am a believer. I rarely cellar California Pinot Noir, but a mixed case of these 2017s is going into my cellar.

(**)+, 2025-2035+

2016 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Weir Vineyard

good deepish red color, vibrant polished nose, pure berry and cherry primary fruit, on the palate classic cherry and bramble tones, dark plum notes, early hints of spice nuances to come, a certain polish note I find in these wines young and old- not unattractive, but most distinctive, a fairly restrained wine today compared to the rest on the table- but experience has shown there is far more to come with cellar time.

(****), 2027-2040

Tom - if you enjoyed the Ceritas Pinot wait until you try a chard.

Great tasting Tom and agree with your evaluation of the Ceritas Hellenthal. Here is my note on the wine from their Open House.

2017 Hellenthal “Old Shop Block” Pinot Noir: This was the first Pinot served and was open and tasty. Ripe black cherry, blackberry, black tea, rose petal and clove the flavors are nuanced and already layered. There is plenty of acid to carry the fruit. The 2017 Hellenthal can be enjoyed young with a nice decant but will also age gracefully. I want to see this wine with some age on it (10+ years) has the raw material to be outstanding.”

BTW, if you liked the Hellenthal, give the 17 Ceritas Elliott Vineyard a go. Very different fruit (all red fruit) but same (or even more) structure. Two very different yet very similar PN from Ceritas. My note on the Elliott

2017 Elliott Pinot Noir: For those people that don’t like California Pinot Noir because it “lacks structure” try the 2017 Elliott Pinot Noir. Nose of macerated cherries, cinnamon stick, herbs. Flavors of red cherry, raspberry, apple skin. framed by acidity, minerality and there are grippy tannins that clamp down on the finish. That backbone of acidity and tannins will serve this wine well, it ensures a long future as the entire package integrates. Very different than the Hellenthal but another wine I want to see in 10 years or so.”

Tom

Thanks guys- I have not tried the Chardonnays yet (but I can rectify that in the near future.) Tom- I did get a couple of bottles of Elliot in my mixed case for cellaring. Worth getting another now to try? Sounds like I will enjoy that one too.

Tom, as a contrast to the Hellenthal you will currently enjoy the Elliott but for sure it’s best years are down the road a bit.

For me John and Ceritas is producing the best Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in California.

Tom
PS: The 2016 Ceritas Cabernet (latest release) from the Santa Cruz Mountains is an outstanding old school Cab.

Had it tonight - wonderful! And nice to see someone else having done the heavy lifting with the descriptions (I wouldn’t even have hit a tenth of that)! For me there was red fruit and perfect balance. Not super tannic, not super acidic, just right. Felt young, as in not aged long or an absence of oak (which I love) and I think it drinks beautiful now. Almost a slight natural wine vibe to it - glou-glou-esque, but with finesse. Probably my favorite Ceritas so far. 93-94pts.

Hi Adam, glad you liked it. I tasted the wine (twice) at the pick up and it had been open and decanted. I think it helped the wine to open up and displayed all it had.

Curious, did you decant it or PnP.

Tom

I did decant, but got impatient and probably poured after 15min. [cheers.gif]