TNs: '94 López de Heredia Tondonia Blanco Gran Reserva & '11 La Pousse d'Or Corton-Clos du Roi

1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/8/2020)
Ordered off a list and not decanted. Nose of fino sherry, lemon oil, almonds, smoke, cloves, and a tiny hint of citrus. Light to medium body with nice acidity and balance. Loads of yellow fruits with a salty, nutty overlay. Flavor profile aside, this had the verve of a much younger wine but also had that textbook LdH blanco waxiness. Not as weighty as some other LdH whites I’ve had. This has a long way to go before it gets tired. A perfect pairing for our seafood and chicken paella. (93 pts.)

2011 La Pousse d’Or Corton-Clos du Roi - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (2/9/2020)
Initially so earthy and tannic with mouthwatering acidity. After an hour, the fruit picked up major weight. Nose began with damp soil and minerality but shifted to primarily ripe sour cherry then earth. The palate has linear, tart cherry fruit and incredible transparency of site. Still fairly tannic as well. One of the most mineral and earthy (but not funky) red burgs I’ve had in a while. Although it lacks the concentration of the best vintages, this should be really excellent in five years if the fruit holds on. (92 pts.)

Thanks for this, David,

Like a lot of folks on this board, I love Lopez de Heredia reds and whites. I hold nothing that old in the latter category, but have a '95 Gran Reserva I am waiting on opening; any recent experience with that bottling?

I love the LdH Blancos. I can’t comment on the '94 and '95, but the '96 Blanco GR was one of the best wines I opened last year (also with paella). This was my TN:

Honestly, trying to ascribe specific flavors to this wine does it an injustice. It’s a beautiful, complex work of art, with too many fruits, flowers, nuts and spices to describe. Perfectly proportioned flavors and acid, and just the right amount of oxidative notes. This would have lasted decades in the cellar, but it was sadly my last bottle. It stopped the conversation at the table and complemented the paella perfectly.

Cheers,
Warren

I like the reds but love the whites. I have one rose I cannot wait to try

Haven’t had it unfortunately. I wish I had more LdH GRs, both red and white.