Verite wines

How are Verite wines? Are they the typical jammy Cali wine or bit more old world? Wanted some input before I actually purchase a bottle or two. Interested in their Cab Franc blend Le Desir more specifically.

I have not had the Desir but I have had the other two. They are very nice wines but don’t think they are worth the asking. So many other options out there…Plus, I think they need 10 plus years of age before they open up.

Buy one and try.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks for the input! So not your typical fruit bomb I assume?

Not at all. Very elegant wines but I am sure someone will chime in about the Desir specifically.

If price isn’t an issue, they are awesome wines. Very much a European take on Napa fruit.

Le Desir was always my favorite when we were selling KJ.

Tasted La Muse and Le Desir at a trade event. Way way way above my personal price point. Both were great, but I preferred the Le Desir.

Fifteen years ago, KJ bought some very nice but under-priced vineyards, but offset that aspect by over-pricing the resultant reserve wines. Verite Mark-up.

Decided to pull the trigger. Thanks for the input everyone!

Back in the day, the wines were mostly from Bennett Valley, outside Sonoma, a very cool area that I believe someday is destined to be primarily Syrah/Grenache territory. Now they are made up of various parcels from Bennett Valley, Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knight’s Valley. The wines are made in more of a new-world French style than Napa style. Ripeness rarely gets past 25.5 brix and they receive 12 months in oak, but usually all new. Think more Opus One than Schrader. Prices have been all over the place but maybe they’ve settled on one price, which would be nice. Huge scores from Parker and others but I’ve personally always liked Chris Carpenter’s Napa-style for Lokoya a bit more in the same price range. Jackson Family has taken the long game with this brand, with it’s own tasting room and willingness to keep going and let demand catch up with supply. Pierre Seillan has been the winemaker since day one and it’s admirable that the corporate parent allows him to make it in the exact style he wants.

I was able to get my hands on a few bottles of 1999 LaMuse… for $55 a bottle. Prices jumped very quickly. I never bought again.

LWS = $360 & up for various Verites. WineSearcher prices in CA start at $175.

That buys multiple bottles of Barolo…

Bought them back in the day for around $125, which was reasonable. There is a Jess Jackson part to the pricing story but I can’t remember. Just saw the La Muse for $299 here in Vegas. I believe that one got 100 pts from someone.

Bought them back in the day for around $125, which was reasonable. There is a Jess Jackson part to the pricing story but I can’t remember. Just saw the La Muse for $299 here in Vegas. I believe that one got 100 pts from someone.

Vegas line has Suckling at 1-5 on that 100! champagne.gif

I think it was the 07 vintage when they went crazy on pricing. Before that I think you could pick them up relatively cheap at sales ect. Then the 07 100pt came and they temporarily raised prices to like $600 before settling in where they are now.

hitsfan

$600?! Whoa…

Very informative! Opus and Schrader comparison helps a lot. Thanks Roy!

I had a glass of 2012 Verite La Joie at Flemings on V-day. The aromatics and floral elements reminded me of Opus One. Definitely well crafted, and I wish I could fast forward 20-30 years to know what the perfume would be like. This is very Bordeaux-style for new world, I’d give it 97pts. I’ve had the 2012 Opus One on release and if I had both side-by-side, it would likely be splitting hairs over which is better. For me, it’s the tertiary flavors in these wines that I get most excited about, trying them this young is almost a slight let down, especially for the cost. For $350 a bottle, there are quite a few perfect-scoring Bdx wines available from 2009/2010.

I have always been interested in Verite but the price tags of $350+ always scared me away. Last year I got lucky during the Benchmark Bin Sale and grabbed a 2014 La Joie for $200, which I couldn’t pass on. I will probably pop it this year for my birthday.