de Montielle Volnay 2005 1er cru Taillespieds

Opened a bottle for the wake of a dear friend. Deep ruby color. No real evidence if bricking around the edge. Nose was still somewhat restrained, but with vigorous swirling revealed souis bios and a mixture of red and black fruits, with the red being slightly more prominent. Dusky tannins still there. Somewhat elegant in th palate, with tannins mostly resolved. Has a flavor of briars and red fruits. Medium weight and concentration. It seems in a bit of an odd place now, with tannins mostly resolved, but the elegance not quite there to fully shine through. Id rate it a 92 or 93 today, with some potential to improve a point or two if it finally integrates a bit more.

I just participated in a discussion with some German friends about Burgs vintage 2005. There were suggestions (by a well know writer) either sell them - or wait another 10+ years.
I´ll do the latter - and won´t open one - except it is absolutely necessary in the name of science … flirtysmile
I have enough of now more userfriendly wines and vintages, so why spend bottles just to realize that it´s been too early …

2006.7.8 9 and 10 will drink well before 2005 just like 2000-2004 drunk before 1999s… so no need to lose patience… especially as 2006-2010 are all good vintages with their own merits…

I didn’t realize 2010 was considered an early drinking vintage? I would have thought it more similar to 2005 myself.

I opened 2005 village chambolle from Mugnier and de Vogue in December. They were fabulous now and consistent with the promise of the vintage when it was released. I will wait for 1er and grand crus, but I’m not going to be shy about opening bourgogne and village 2005s in the near future.
A

Good to see others are finding these types of 2005s in a bit of an awkward place. I haven’t hit mine much since release, but pulled this one out because I had a good quantity, was curious, and had a worthy occasion.

I remain very confident in 2005 and am buying them when I find them for sensible pricing (which is more often than I would expect). They’re just not ready yet for the most part. But those occasional examples that are opening up are sensational.

We had an '05 Jadot Corton back in August and it definitely tasted like it was surrounded by a brick wall, with no real easing on day 2.