2018 et al. Domaine Dujac.

We had a truly lovely visit at Domaine Dujac today, tasting through a selection of the solar 2018 vintage. Jeremy was the consummate host: honest, funny, witty, and kind.

• 2018 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis
    Barrel sample. 13.8% abv. From plots with deeper soils. The nose is bright red cherry and a little bit of the archetypical Dujac spice. Despite the relatively higher alcohol level, this certainly doesn’t feel hot, and the tart red fruit profile, along with the lean acids give this a really pretty elegance. Cheerful and easy to like, especially at this young age. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Barrel sample. There is a dense tannic character to this wine, which makes it stand out from the others in the tasting. The finish here leaves you with a little bit of a dusty tannin thing. On the other hand, the fruit profile does have a lot of the similar lightness of the other wines, with a touch more of black fruit. This vineyard benefits from cold air coming down the Gevrey combe. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Barrel sample. Brilliant spice on the nose here; this is unmistakably Vosne. Generally more favourable in warmer vintages because where this is situated on the upper hill by the combe. There was described to have “austere minerality”, which next to the Malconsorts was quite apt. Here the fruit is a little leaner, the wine more sinewy, with bright acids that keep the wine very fresh. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Barrel sample. Next to the minerality of the Beaux Monts, the Malconsorts seems a lot more plush and voluptuous. There’s more of a black-fruit focus here with a bigger, riper disposition. Broad-shouldered with more sappy fruit and less of the shapely mineral elegance. Both wines are excellent, but right now I enjoyed this more. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Barrel sample. This was a little more difficult to grok. In terms of the Vosne wines, this seems more similar to the mineral-driven Beaux Monts than the opulent black-fruited Malconsorts. At the same time, this seems just more concentrated than the Beaux Monts. The tannins of the finish are a little gritty, but that’s something that ought to go away with time. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Barrel sample. An explosively spicy nose, with an upgrade in complexity compared with the Echezeaux. There’s a generous amount of fruit (a mix of both red and black, but leaning more to red) here but also a delicacy to the intense concentration. There’s a firm tannic structure that is probably most attributable to the youth. A brilliant wine, but for me overshadowed, as Jeremy perhaps alluded to, by the Clos St. Denis. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
    Barrel sample. The pick of the litter for me. This shows a lot more of the solar character of the vintage. The fruit is even more explosive and broad than the Clos de la Roche, and there’s just more of… pretty much everything… on this wine. On the palate the breadth of this wine is incredible, and there’s just so much material to go on. This is the wine I will be ensuring goes into my cellar. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    We tasted two components of this wine. The first was the oaked fraction (7/8ths of the final cuvee) and the latter an unoaked component.

The oaked fraction showed a lovely honeyed tone with some florals as well. There’s a slight bit of waxiness and a warm buttery quality. It’s not the most complex wine (especially given the Combettes after) but there’s plenty to like here. Certainly this wine wasn’t lacking in the freshness or the acidity.

The unoaked component was very different, and frankly a little non-descript and uninteresting. It had good acidity and freshness, with a good kick of minerality, but served blind it could have been from anywhere. There was just a hint of green here too. (93? pts.)

• 2018 Domaine Dujac Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Tank(?) sample. From much older vines relative to the Folatières. A very rounded and complete wine; definitely not a wine made in the en vogue style of white Burgundy, this has a rounded and slightly polished texture. Good intensity and a really complex mineral cut. Lovely palate density here and no sign of the solar vintage whatsoever. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Monts-Luisants - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Tank(?) sample. Ironically after Jeremy was laughing about the lean en vogue style of taut and slightly green white Burgundy, he serves us the lowest pH white wine on the Côte de Nuits. This clocks in with a pH of 3. Despite the really taut acids and the yellow and green citrus, this does have a reasonably full palate, though admittedly for my taste, I do prefer something that has a little more roundness. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    The contrast with the 2018 isn’t as stark as I would have expected (though we didn’t have them side-by-side); perhaps it is indeed the terroir that is taking the steering wheel here. Again, this is a wine of a slightly leaner, more mineral-driven disposition, and there is a lovely amount of lighter red fruit here. The acidity seems a little higher, but it’s undeniable this is cut from the same cloth. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    A bit of a step up from the Beaux Monts; this has a little less of the lean minerality and more of a fullness on the palate. More dense and concentrated, with a nice balance of red and black fruit here. The spiciness is also scaled up, and the Vosne spice is more open and apparent. This is, in some way, kind of a deliciously early-drinking grand cru, though it is a shame to kill this off so young. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    From quarter-magnum and served double blind. This showed a moderate amount of sous-bois on the nose, and based on that, this had to be of moderate age. A really nice balance of red and black fruit, but also a relatively black and broad profile had me thinking that this was from a reasonably riper vintage. There was a bit of earthiness here as well, and I actually managed to guess the vintage correctly here. (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
    From quarter magnum and served double blind. Unequivocally a wine from the 90s based on the age and the way the brown spice showed. A very generous helping of fruit and some pretty intense tannins had me guessing my favourite vintage of that decade, 1993. The acidity here seemed to be a little bit higher as well. Beautiful stuff, and a textbook example of why we need to age our Burgundies. That said, the tannins on the finish don’t seem remotely close to being fully resolved yet. (93 pts.)

Quarter magnums are the best way to drink next to 1/12th imperials.

Well that day didn’t suck! nice writeup as usual!

amazing. Wish I could find the wines at realistic pricing. One of my favorite domaines.

Jeez. Drooling from the notes.

I’m 93 points on this post.

what’s actually kinda ironic is in the actual scoring, a lot of the wines got 93 pts… in fact i think the majority did! :smiley:

1 Like