TN: 2014 Cave Dog Red

Beautiful nose of menthol, cranberry, graphite and blackberry liqueur. Still quite tart and acid filled on the attack with loads of minerality. Even though cab franc is only 30% of the blend, it is very prominent in the experience of this wine. I think some more bottle time will do this good, especially given Michael Havens track record with the predecessor to this wine, Bourriquot.

I just drank one of these and liked it quite a bit though my bottle was a bit too warm and I’d prefer to open it right from the cellar next time. It’s a bigger wine than Bourriquot, at least the mid-1990’s bottlings that I’m familiar with.

Craig - drank mine at cellar temp and agree that is best. It is bigger than the old wines and still a little primary, but I think it will pick up more elegance and secondary characteristics with age.

I just opened a 1995 Bourriquot. It is indeed less powerful but has good ripeness to stand up to the woodsy Cab Franc character. There’s a good streak of grippy tannin left too. This is a bottle that came from Winebid last year and it’s in excellent shape. I have a bottle or two left from release as well.