Drink Rhone

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Drink Rhone

#1 Post by C. Keller » February 12th, 2020, 8:54 am

Does anyone read this? Was wondering if it's worth the funds (Its not much, $50 maybe).

http://www.drinkrhone.com

Any other sources for Rhone wines, particularly Northern?
Chris

Zachary Ross

Re: Drink Rhone

#2 Post by Zachary Ross » February 12th, 2020, 8:55 am

Best source on Northern Rhone bar none.
Iroulégeek.

IlkkaL

#3 Post by IlkkaL » February 12th, 2020, 9:08 am

It’s simply fantastic. I don’t really follow Southern Rhône but I don’t have much trouble saying that if Northern Rhône is of interest to you then this site is the best resource out there.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by CJ Beazley » February 12th, 2020, 9:27 am

Good twitter feed-
It's C(raig)

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by C. Keller » February 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

Signing up.

Thanks, all.
Chris

Jonathan Loesberg

#6 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » February 12th, 2020, 11:20 am

If you like Northern and/ or Southern Rhone wines, you also like traditionally made wines, Jeb Dunnock's palate is not yours, and you want to follow a reviewer, I'd say Livingstone is your best bet.

HMechbal

#7 Post by HMechbal » February 12th, 2020, 11:51 am

I've subscribed a couple of months ago. I like the notes and the vintage reviews, but the website could be improved, there are some features missing (or that I haven't found).
For instance (pet-peeve #1) I can't sort by "Latest Tasting Notes". The home page shows the last 3 notes written on the website, but I can't ask to read more notes in chronological order. If I missed something, I'm less likely to read it now. That's especially the case if JLL revisits an older wine.
Search function could be improved also but probably minor.

In short, gimme JLL's notes and reports on Northern Rhone and Jeff Leve's website !
Hamza

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Greg K » February 12th, 2020, 11:59 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:20 am
If you like Northern and/ or Southern Rhone wines, you also like traditionally made wines, Jeb Dunnock's palate is not yours, and you want to follow a reviewer, I'd say Livingstone is your best bet.
Agreed. From my very limited experience Jeb is a very nice guy, but our palates are pretty different.
Greg Kahn

MikeL238

#9 Post by MikeL238 » February 12th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Is Dunnock's palate more New World?
Mike Leigh

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by C. Keller » February 12th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Greg K wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:59 am
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Agreed. From my very limited experience Jeb is a very nice guy, but our palates are pretty different.
Had Jeb but just didn't align. Also felt that his scores were inflated compared to what I thought of the higher scoring stuff.
Chris

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Greg K » February 12th, 2020, 12:21 pm

MikeL238 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Is Dunnock's palate more New World?
New world/riper.
Greg Kahn

Jonathan Loesberg

#12 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » February 13th, 2020, 7:37 am

It's not new world, so much. He started as a Southern Rhone enthusiast. But he always like big, ripe wines and also wines made with modernist techniques, and, particularly, what I will call Cambie styled wines (though some wines that have Cambie as an oenologist are Cambier than others, so think Clos St. Jean or Isabel Ferrando's wines). His scores are "inflated" because he is a true enthusiast. I think if your tastes run in his direction, he will be a good critic for you. There's no question about how widely he tastes.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » February 13th, 2020, 10:09 am

HMechbal wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:51 am
I've subscribed a couple of months ago. I like the notes and the vintage reviews, but the website could be improved, there are some features missing (or that I haven't found).
For instance (pet-peeve #1) I can't sort by "Latest Tasting Notes". The home page shows the last 3 notes written on the website, but I can't ask to read more notes in chronological order. If I missed something, I'm less likely to read it now. That's especially the case if JLL revisits an older wine.
Search function could be improved also but probably minor.

In short, gimme JLL's notes and reports on Northern Rhone and Jeff Leve's website !
I agree 100% on the "latest notes" thing. I've sent JLL an e-mail about it. He clearly has limited time and funds for the tech side of the operation, and has dealt with some significant and unfortunate challenges lately.

That said, it's still an indispensable resource and one of the great bargains in wine criticism.

HMechbal

#14 Post by HMechbal » February 14th, 2020, 2:12 am

Also sent an email but yeah didn't get an answer nor expect a change.
That's ok, aside from that it is indeed a great resource. First time I subscribe and pay for wine content.
Hamza

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Scott Brunson » February 14th, 2020, 5:27 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 7:37 am
It's not new world, so much. He started as a Southern Rhone enthusiast. But he always like big, ripe wines and also wines made with modernist techniques, and, particularly, what I will call Cambie styled wines (though some wines that have Cambie as an oenologist are Cambier than others, so think Clos St. Jean or Isabel Ferrando's wines). His scores are "inflated" because he is a true enthusiast. I think if your tastes run in his direction, he will be a good critic for you. There's no question about how widely he tastes.
Wonderful post. We’ll put
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Return to “Wine Talk”