What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

#51 Post by Chris Seiber » February 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:27 pm
B. Buzzini wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:08 pm
To answer the Q...I'd have to say....OLD VINE ZIN! Greatest "comfort food" type wine...tasty as all hell young...ages into fine claret-like...vineyard history for days! Cheap and obtainable too! [highfive.gif]
+1

Zinfandel goes well with a lot of food. Zinfandel from 100+ year old vines and garners 92-98 points respectively for $30-$40 a bottle seems like the ultimate undervalued wine in the world.
I agree. But I think it depends on what you tend to eat. I eat a lot of grilled meats, a lot of Asian-style meats and vegetables, and I tend to use stronger flavors and spices in my cooking. And as such, zinfandel is often the best, or one of the best, pairings.

For people who emphasize different kinds of eating, it may be suited much less often.

And of course, like everything, it depends on what you like in wine. Wine you like is a much better value than wine you don't like!

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

#52 Post by Jim Stewart » February 14th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Chris, you are on a "pithy" roll in this thread. I'm liking it. Kudos and cheers!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Doug Schulman » February 14th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 9:59 am
Doug Schulman wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
For me, especially keeping that in mind, Chateau Musar Rouge deserves mention here. Very few wines can evolve into something so great and cost that little on release. And yes, I would pay significantly more per bottle and buy fewer if I had to. I've probably mentioned this in similar threads before, but it's nice to revisit the topic once in a while.
I thought of posting that, and I agree with the sentiment. I'm not sure I can think of another wine with as much distinctiveness, character, and evolutionary upside that you can buy for $40-50 at retail.

But it has its share of detractors, as well as bottle variation/quality issues, so there will be different opinions on it. Maybe that's what keeps the price in its current undervalued state.
I notice people talking about those issues a lot. Funny thing is, I've never seen it. I have had bottles that didn't perform up to expectations (usually those not imported by Broadbent), but I haven't had more than maybe 1-2 bottles that were "dirtier" than others, and I've had quite a few bottles over the years (for example, I've probably opened over a case of the '99, plus drunk from several bottles and a magnum opened by friends, and that's just one vintage). It's worth noting that I find Pegau and a huge percentage of "natural" wines undrinkable. I actually find Musar to be more consistently great than some much more expensive and prestigious wines. I wonder how many of the claims of wild variation in quality have to do with poor storage, which would also kill other wines, though in a different way.

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Dan Kravitz » February 14th, 2020, 4:36 pm

I didn't mention it, but +1 me on old vine Zin.

And taking into account global warming, red Bordeaux from basic Appellation, moving through places like Castillon and Fronsac and getting to places like Satellite Saint-Emilion and Graves (not Pessac-Leognan) can be part of the conversation.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Nick Ellis

#55 Post by Nick Ellis » February 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Ian S wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Chenin Blanc, particularly Huet Vouvray. All 3 vineyards produce brilliant wines in all manner of sweetness, which age spectacularly.
+1 on this. I’m drinking a 16 Le Mont Sec right now, and it is a show stopper. This is like Dauvissat/Raveneau level good, and it set me back around $40.

As others have pointed out, lots of amazing Loire values. Baudry, Pèpiére, Raffault and too many others to mention.

jprusack

#56 Post by jprusack » February 14th, 2020, 6:01 pm

every time i drink baudry's les granges or les grezeaux, i always ask out loud why is this so damn cheap? its almost always punching way above its weight.
Jean - pierre

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Michae1 P0wers » February 14th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 4:36 pm
I didn't mention it, but +1 me on old vine Zin.

And taking into account global warming, red Bordeaux from basic Appellation, moving through places like Castillon and Fronsac and getting to places like Satellite Saint-Emilion and Graves (not Pessac-Leognan) can be part of the conversation.

Dan Kravitz
Good call on less heralded Bordeaux. Selective choices from petite chateau BDX are certainly up there. The only thing detracting from those wines is that there’s still so much plonk. With careful selection though, there is huge value in that category. Recently had a ‘12 Senejac purchased for $12 that was outstanding on day 2. Ridiculous quality at that price.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Thomas Keim » February 17th, 2020, 4:34 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:26 am
Sherry.
Not trendy. Fortunately.
I would have to agree. A glass of Fino Sherry may be the world's greatest bargain.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Return to “Wine Talk”