What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

Interested in opinions on this and the reason you believe the wine is priced as it is as opposed to where you think it should be priced.

Sherry.
Not trendy. Fortunately.

Lafage Bastide Miraflors and Lafage Narassa, from the Roussillon region. Outrageous QPR. I’m routinely able to pick up on sale for $12-$14… when I first experienced these, I would have thought 3x-4x the ticket.

Zilliken Rausch Kabinett 2015

Chenin Blanc, particularly Huet Vouvray. All 3 vineyards produce brilliant wines in all manner of sweetness, which age spectacularly.

Loire in general is an undervalued region. I love many of the reds too. My best qpr was a case of 1991 Chateau Souverain Reserve at $14 a bottle at auction.

Or from say Mullineux in a South Africa.

[fixed typo]

Dao and Bairrada in Portugal.

Sauternes, especially mature stuff from the '80s, reaches highs for me that very little else can at the price

Anything by Lopez de Heredia.

J.J.PrĂĽm Rieslings (other than the auction wines)

Fun topic. Because I can’t choose just one, here are a few quick-hit thoughts:

1. My immediate reaction is that it’s a close call between Alzinger Steinertal and Prager Wachstum Bodenstein. And Hirtzberger Singerriedel in the right vintage. These Austrians have the weight, complexity, ageworthiness, and balance of the world’s grandest, most expensive white wines. And they’re $50-75.

2. Aged German Riesling – particularly 2001. For instance, in the last 12 months, I bought some 2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese for $45/bottle, and it is some of the best wine (of any region or color) I’ve had in years, trouncing wines at 10x (or more) the price. The 2001 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen is likewise one of my favorite wines in years – also $40-50/bottle. Same with the whole lineup of 2001 Prums.

3. Givry 1ers – particularly Lumpp and Joblot

4. Sweet wines in general are silly cheap for the quality

5. Sherry FTW

6. Foillard Beaujolais are just perfect wines for may taste

If I’m allowed only one, it’s Pepiere’s Clos des Briords.

+1

As to the second question in the OP, it’s priced like it is because it’s Muscadet.

Wow, high praise. I’ll have to ask them if they’ll let me visit [cheers.gif]

Chateau Souverain making Loire reds? [snort.gif]

Btw…LOVE LOVE that wine! [worship.gif]

good call

To answer the Q…I’d have to say…OLD VINE ZIN! Greatest “comfort food” type wine…tasty as all hell young…ages into fine claret-like…vineyard history for days! Cheap and obtainable too! [highfive.gif]

I will share my opinion on a region instead a producer: Salta, Argentina. From extreme high altitudes, Salta produces some of the deepest wines in the world and may evolve for decades. Salta wines are very hard to find even in South America as the region has a very limited production.

The most underrated grape is Carmenere in my opinion. I love how it adds character and complexity to any wine. Bonus points for the amazing story behind the varietal.

I was going to write precisely this.