Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
crickey
Posts: 456
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 2:59 pm

Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#1 Post by crickey » February 11th, 2020, 9:39 am

Got my order in. I felt the need to cut back on purchases this year, although I did order the Chenin Blanc, which sounds interesting.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#2 Post by Frank Murray III » February 11th, 2020, 9:49 am

Order in as well. 2017 Alpine PN and Chards are excellent.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8826
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#3 Post by Russ Williams » February 11th, 2020, 10:24 am

Anybody else overwhelmed by the size of this offering? I promised my wife that I would stop buying wine when we retired. Well, that time has come, but I did tell her the one caveat was Rhys and some champagne. At least I have until the 29th to figure it out.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#4 Post by Frank Murray III » February 11th, 2020, 10:35 am

Russ, the addition of Mt Pajaro now on its own has made the offer expand. I really dig Rhys but I've had to make some choices as I just don't drink as much still wine overall as I used to and I've learned to live in the same cellar capacity for the past 15 years so I'm at least one guy who is making some tough choices as to which plots to support, such as Shoe, Alpine and Porkie. These plots I continue to order and buy in multiple quantities, as I really like them.

Did you finally retire, buddy?
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8826
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#5 Post by Russ Williams » February 11th, 2020, 10:45 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:35 am
Russ, the addition of Mt Pajaro now on its own has made the offer expand. I really dig Rhys but I've had to make some choices as I just don't drink as much still wine overall as I used to and I've learned to live in the same cellar capacity for the past 15 years so I'm at least one guy who is making some tough choices as to which plots to support, such as Shoe, Alpine and Porkie. These plots I continue to order and buy in multiple quantities, as I really like them.

Did you finally retire, buddy?
I did in December. My wife and I have been crazy busy preparing for the full time RV lifestyle. Downsizing 35 years of accumulated ‘stuff’ that we really never needed, buying a 44’ coach and a tow vehicle, selling the house and domiciling in a more tax friendly state is not for the faint of heart. Oh yeah, not to mention what the heck you do with a way too large cellar. I know, 1st world problems for sure. [wow.gif]
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#6 Post by Frank Murray III » February 11th, 2020, 11:16 am

Hey, congratulations. Don't forget dude....you owe me a visit when that RV is on the pavement and headed West. With enough notice, we can set up a bitchen dinner for you when you are here.

Oh, and back to Rhys........
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3557
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Location: LA Adjecent

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#7 Post by Peter Petersen » February 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Did I mis the release of the '17 Family Farm?

Jeff Filippi
Posts: 83
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 2:19 pm
Location: New York, New York & Greenport, New York

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#8 Post by Jeff Filippi » February 11th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Russ Williams wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:24 am
Anybody else overwhelmed by the size of this offering? I promised my wife that I would stop buying wine when we retired. Well, that time has come, but I did tell her the one caveat was Rhys and some champagne. At least I have until the 29th to figure it out.
Russ - Yes. I love Rhys and have been ordering since the first (or maybe the 2nd offer) ever. Their wines make up what is probably a disproportionate percentage of my cellar.
I think Kevin and Jeff run a first class operation.
However, starting last year I began to feel overwhelmed. I think there were seven or eight offerings last year counting Rhys, Alesia, Sparkling Wines, futures and Aeris.
Now, in the first offer of this year there are eight wines being offered. As much as I would like to there is just no way I can buy multiple bottles of 8 different wines. Tough choices will have to be made.
I understand that the Alesia offering specifically helps those on the list that don't get allocated much Rhys wines, but the converse is that it can be overwhelming for longtime buyers.

Justin S
Posts: 286
Joined: November 30th, 2017, 9:38 am

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#9 Post by Justin S » February 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I was only allocated the 2 bottles of the Alpine PN and the new Mt. P offerings. Rest on wishlist. But I don't want the Mt. P offerings, so there's no way for me to meet the 4 bottle minimum. Weird.... (last year was my first year on the list)
$ ! n g h

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19417
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#10 Post by Alan Rath » February 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Justin S wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm
I was only allocated the 2 bottles of the Alpine PN and the new Mt. P offerings. Rest on wishlist. But I don't want the Mt. P offerings, so there's no way for me to meet the 4 bottle minimum. Weird.... (last year was my first year on the list)
I didn't take all of my allocation, not even close. I would guess there will be plenty of wish list wine available. If you're interested, go ahead with your order. Better yet, just call them, they have fabulous customer service. I'm willing to bet they will work with you to flesh out a minimum order. BTW, the Pajaro wines are outstanding, and probably a relative "bargain" right now.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21741
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#11 Post by M. Dildine » February 11th, 2020, 4:47 pm

This offering I went Mt. Pajaro (which I’ve tasted and really like), and Skyline, a longstanding favorite.
Cheers,

Mike

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2574
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#12 Post by Kevin Harvey » February 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Did I mis the release of the '17 Family Farm?
Hi Peter,
You did not miss it. We decided not to bottle the 17 Family Farm. We felt the quality was not high enough.
Rhys Vineyards

User avatar
Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3557
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Location: LA Adjecent

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#13 Post by Peter Petersen » February 12th, 2020, 8:07 am

Kevin Harvey wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Did I miss the release of the '17 Family Farm?
Hi Peter,
You did not miss it. We decided not to bottle the 17 Family Farm. We felt the quality was not high enough.
Kevin, Thanks! That's too bad, it's become a favorite of mine.

Looks like I'll definitely get the Syrah, and then maybe a few singletons to be determined.

Fred Bower
Posts: 849
Joined: October 28th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Location: Durham North Carolina, USA

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#14 Post by Fred Bower » February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am

Peter,

If they decided not to bottle it as a designate, the Alesia 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains bottling got all of the Family Farm fruit (and likely is a higher percentage Family Farm than the other sources). Kevin and team could clarify, but maybe you can bargain shop on the Alesia front and get your fix that way. It won't be a full Family Farm, but also won't have the full price. FWIW, I like the Alesia bottlings in this new era, but have cut them from my purchasing to leave room for the designate flood we are seeing. If the cellar wasn't overflowing, I'd buy these in case quantity each release.

fred

User avatar
Jeff Brinkman
Posts: 639
Joined: February 5th, 2009, 6:51 am

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#15 Post by Jeff Brinkman » February 12th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Fred Bower wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am
Peter,

If they decided not to bottle it as a designate, the Alesia 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains bottling got all of the Family Farm fruit (and likely is a higher percentage Family Farm than the other sources). Kevin and team could clarify, but maybe you can bargain shop on the Alesia front and get your fix that way. It won't be a full Family Farm, but also won't have the full price. FWIW, I like the Alesia bottlings in this new era, but have cut them from my purchasing to leave room for the designate flood we are seeing. If the cellar wasn't overflowing, I'd buy these in case quantity each release.

fred
Hi Fred,
We really weren't happy at all with Family Farm in 2017 so the majority of it got sold off. The 2017 Alesia Santa Cruz Mountains was only about 5% Family Farm, the blend is mostly Alpine, Horseshoe and Mt. Pajaro.

User avatar
blainemorris
Posts: 94
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:19 am
Location: Marin County, CA

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#16 Post by blainemorris » February 13th, 2020, 11:21 am

As much as it pains me, I'm a pass for now...I might change my mind as we get closer to the cutoff. So many offers, 4 bottle minimum on each...Kevin, please remember all of us are not Silicon Valley millionaires...and we have wives to answer to...

Mark Colendich
Posts: 63
Joined: January 9th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#17 Post by Mark Colendich » February 13th, 2020, 11:23 am

Believe the actual minimum is 4 bottles TOTAL

User avatar
blainemorris
Posts: 94
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:19 am
Location: Marin County, CA

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#18 Post by blainemorris » February 13th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Mark Colendich wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:23 am
Believe the actual minimum is 4 bottles TOTAL
Thanks Mark, that's what I meant. But if you're in on every order that gets to be a very big position on Rhys, with corresponding investment required. I LOVE Rhys, but as others have mentioned, it has become a disproportionately large portion of my cellar.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18347
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#19 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Rhys won't kick you off the list for skipping an offer, folks. You don't *have to* buy everything all the time.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
jhans
Posts: 63
Joined: June 24th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Location: California Central Coast

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#20 Post by jhans » February 13th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Have not received the offer on this yet. Are they offering this in waves?
John

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9122
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#21 Post by Scott Brunson » February 14th, 2020, 5:35 am

Russ Williams wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:24 am
Anybody else overwhelmed by the size of this offering? I promised my wife that I would stop buying wine when we retired. Well, that time has come, but I did tell her the one caveat was Rhys and some champagne. At least I have until the 29th to figure it out.
Lol
Please remind me not to make that promise in a few years.
[cheers.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Fred Bower
Posts: 849
Joined: October 28th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Location: Durham North Carolina, USA

Re: Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

#22 Post by Fred Bower » February 14th, 2020, 8:06 am

Jeff Brinkman wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Fred Bower wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am
Peter,

If they decided not to bottle it as a designate, the Alesia 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains bottling got all of the Family Farm fruit (and likely is a higher percentage Family Farm than the other sources). Kevin and team could clarify, but maybe you can bargain shop on the Alesia front and get your fix that way. It won't be a full Family Farm, but also won't have the full price. FWIW, I like the Alesia bottlings in this new era, but have cut them from my purchasing to leave room for the designate flood we are seeing. If the cellar wasn't overflowing, I'd buy these in case quantity each release.

fred
Hi Fred,
We really weren't happy at all with Family Farm in 2017 so the majority of it got sold off. The 2017 Alesia Santa Cruz Mountains was only about 5% Family Farm, the blend is mostly Alpine, Horseshoe and Mt. Pajaro.
Thanks for the quick clarification. I still endorse a strategy of buying Alesia to drink now if you need something Rhys-like at a lower price point.

fred

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”