Rhys 2020 Spring Offer

Got my order in. I felt the need to cut back on purchases this year, although I did order the Chenin Blanc, which sounds interesting.

Order in as well. 2017 Alpine PN and Chards are excellent.

Anybody else overwhelmed by the size of this offering? I promised my wife that I would stop buying wine when we retired. Well, that time has come, but I did tell her the one caveat was Rhys and some champagne. At least I have until the 29th to figure it out.

Russ, the addition of Mt Pajaro now on its own has made the offer expand. I really dig Rhys but I’ve had to make some choices as I just don’t drink as much still wine overall as I used to and I’ve learned to live in the same cellar capacity for the past 15 years so I’m at least one guy who is making some tough choices as to which plots to support, such as Shoe, Alpine and Porkie. These plots I continue to order and buy in multiple quantities, as I really like them.

Did you finally retire, buddy?

I did in December. My wife and I have been crazy busy preparing for the full time RV lifestyle. Downsizing 35 years of accumulated ‘stuff’ that we really never needed, buying a 44’ coach and a tow vehicle, selling the house and domiciling in a more tax friendly state is not for the faint of heart. Oh yeah, not to mention what the heck you do with a way too large cellar. I know, 1st world problems for sure. [wow.gif]

Hey, congratulations. Don’t forget dude…you owe me a visit when that RV is on the pavement and headed West. With enough notice, we can set up a bitchen dinner for you when you are here.

Oh, and back to Rhys…

Did I mis the release of the '17 Family Farm?

Russ - Yes. I love Rhys and have been ordering since the first (or maybe the 2nd offer) ever. Their wines make up what is probably a disproportionate percentage of my cellar.
I think Kevin and Jeff run a first class operation.
However, starting last year I began to feel overwhelmed. I think there were seven or eight offerings last year counting Rhys, Alesia, Sparkling Wines, futures and Aeris.
Now, in the first offer of this year there are eight wines being offered. As much as I would like to there is just no way I can buy multiple bottles of 8 different wines. Tough choices will have to be made.
I understand that the Alesia offering specifically helps those on the list that don’t get allocated much Rhys wines, but the converse is that it can be overwhelming for longtime buyers.

I was only allocated the 2 bottles of the Alpine PN and the new Mt. P offerings. Rest on wishlist. But I don’t want the Mt. P offerings, so there’s no way for me to meet the 4 bottle minimum. Weird… (last year was my first year on the list)

I didn’t take all of my allocation, not even close. I would guess there will be plenty of wish list wine available. If you’re interested, go ahead with your order. Better yet, just call them, they have fabulous customer service. I’m willing to bet they will work with you to flesh out a minimum order. BTW, the Pajaro wines are outstanding, and probably a relative “bargain” right now.

This offering I went Mt. Pajaro (which I’ve tasted and really like), and Skyline, a longstanding favorite.

Hi Peter,
You did not miss it. We decided not to bottle the 17 Family Farm. We felt the quality was not high enough.

Kevin, Thanks! That’s too bad, it’s become a favorite of mine.

Looks like I’ll definitely get the Syrah, and then maybe a few singletons to be determined.

Peter,

If they decided not to bottle it as a designate, the Alesia 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains bottling got all of the Family Farm fruit (and likely is a higher percentage Family Farm than the other sources). Kevin and team could clarify, but maybe you can bargain shop on the Alesia front and get your fix that way. It won’t be a full Family Farm, but also won’t have the full price. FWIW, I like the Alesia bottlings in this new era, but have cut them from my purchasing to leave room for the designate flood we are seeing. If the cellar wasn’t overflowing, I’d buy these in case quantity each release.

fred

Hi Fred,
We really weren’t happy at all with Family Farm in 2017 so the majority of it got sold off. The 2017 Alesia Santa Cruz Mountains was only about 5% Family Farm, the blend is mostly Alpine, Horseshoe and Mt. Pajaro.

As much as it pains me, I’m a pass for now…I might change my mind as we get closer to the cutoff. So many offers, 4 bottle minimum on each…Kevin, please remember all of us are not Silicon Valley millionaires…and we have wives to answer to…

Believe the actual minimum is 4 bottles TOTAL

Thanks Mark, that’s what I meant. But if you’re in on every order that gets to be a very big position on Rhys, with corresponding investment required. I LOVE Rhys, but as others have mentioned, it has become a disproportionately large portion of my cellar.

Rhys won’t kick you off the list for skipping an offer, folks. You don’t have to buy everything all the time.

Have not received the offer on this yet. Are they offering this in waves?