Kutch Spring Release and some brief tasting notes

Jamie is releasing some wines today so I thought I would have some friends over to test drive some prior vintages before adding the 2018s to the cellar.

We tasted the 2016 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay, 2015 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, 2015 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir and 2015 Fallstaff Pinot Noir.

2016 Chardonnay: crisp with a lively citrus flavor. Excellent body on this chardonnay with vibrant notes of apple and a hint of lemon. For a red wine drinking crowd this wine was well-received by everyone. It is an exceptional all-season wine but will really shine in the summer months.

2015 Sonoma Coast Pinot: this is my “go to” wine for all occasions. As I like to tell anyone who drinks with me I have never had a bad bottle of Kutch wine and I’ve been with Jamie since his first release! Today was no exception with the Sonoma Coast delivering smooth, balanced flavors to savor amongst friends. Soft plums and a note of raspberry make this both flavorful and enjoyable while appropriately restrained.

2015 Signal Ridge: The “crowd pleaser” of the line-up. Lucious but not indulgent the Signal Ridge makes a strong argument to replace the Sonoma Coast as the “go to” Pinot with friends. The rich flavors came through nicely with a note of strawberry while maintaining that balance Kutch wines are known for. So easy to drink, the crowd went back for 2nds and finished the bottles before I had a chance to finish my 1st!

2015 Fallstaff: Here is where Jamie begins to distinguish himself among the top winemakers. Hearty and meaty for a Pinot, this was a balanced wine best served with food. The fullness of the wine was obvious on the first taste and really called for a better pairing than the simple meats and cheeses we had out. Dark fruits with a brambly minerality suggested this was a more serious wine to be savored and enjoyed – not the festive frivolity of casual drinking. A fabulous wine to be opened with a purpose.

All in all, another outstanding display for Kutch wines.

[cheers.gif]

Cheers!

Nice notes Kevin. I’ll add some thoughts to your TNs, using my recent notes on your same wines. FWIW, the Kutch release is always something I look forward to, as year after year Jamie’s wines end up on my short list (or win for) WOTY. The wines have a purity, balance, acidity and structure that all flow together seamlessly, minus the higher alcohols and oak that I just don’t want in my Pinot Noir anymore. FWIW, I am not much of a fan of Signal Ridge, yet I know people who do like it, such as you.

I’ll definitely be buying later.

• 2015 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/11/2019)
    Opened an hour ago. Drinking at room temp (73f) with the wine still enjoying a light chill. The stems in this bottle are more evident, notably first in the aromatics where they provide an herbal note. Mixing with the whole cluster is some fragrant red berry. The palate here is what continues the same enthusiasm I have posted in previous notes on this wine, a purity of red fruits that is lovely to drink. Strawberry, cranberry, blueberry are what are most dominant, along with some red cherry. The fruit is then supported by some astringence, which I would attribute to the stem tannin that is still within the wine. I don’t find the stems messing with the palate of the wine, and if anything giving the fruit a touch of savory but that is about it. So, if you’re not offput by some whole cluster, and how that informs the aroma, then you will find the fruit and structure here in a good place and the wine cruising right along for some more time in the bottle…this remains good as I finish it on the 3rd day being open. It has the depth and fleshy quality of what wowed me 2 years ago. Drinking great.
  • 2016 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/27/2019)
    July 2019 Kutch Visit (Jamie’s Pad in SFO): Drank as part of a complete vertical of all Kutch Chards (14-17, to include Trout Gulch). This followed the 2014 and 2015, which for me are big ‘shoes’ to fill. This 2016 has a a lot of the same acid profile of the 2015, and it also has some of the minerality of the 2014, what my notes called ‘steely’ or ‘wet stone’. These 2 descriptors may not seem related but they help form my perception of what I sensed in the core of the 2016. The dominating fruit for me here is the green apple, a fresh cut pippin is the best descriptor, where the flavor is crisp, bright. Finishes with a little wisp of caramel and my notes also say ‘candied green apple’…retasted the following day from bottle leftover at room temp and it reflects some light creaminess, a gently smooth quality that is mixing with the apple and citrus and some flint. I see this 2016 having qualities of both the 2014 and 2015, so if you like one or both vintages, you get some of each with the primary volume of both turned down, bringing it all together to make the 2016. Delicious.
  • 2015 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/17/2019)
    2 years since the last bottle, decided I would check-in and see if the structure had begun to soften from 2017’s note. I opened tonight’s bottle about 30 mins ago, poured the first glass at cellar temp. 12.3% ABV. For the aromatics, there is the same big, effusive floral note, joined by a very light note that is stemmy/woodsy. The palate shows a juicy, purple fruit (for me, this means red and blue, together). The weight of the wine is squarely medium, more elegant than heavy or powerful. There is some residual structure here but it’s supportive now, giving the purple fruit some lift but overall, this wine for me is ready to go. As with the best of Jamie’s wines, the purity and balance, they always shine brightest. This wine does that for me…an update from Day 2, the wine added some grip in the finish. This should enhance the aging curve.
  • 2015 Kutch Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (8/3/2018)
    Ehh, tonight’s bottle did not show like I wanted it too. It seemed darker in red fruit to me than the past few bottles, and the whole cluster was creating an imbalance to the wine, too. Just wasn’t feeling it.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, guys. Are the allocations of these fixed for some period of time?

Carlton, dunno. Send an email to Jamie…he is very responsive.

First come first served.

I believe the offering is First Come First Serve. (That’s what my email indicated.)

There are some prior vintages available too. Picked up another McDougall on this go-around.

Frank - Rhys and Kutch on the same day. Busy morning ordering?

Thanks Carlton. The wines are offered on a first come, first served basis. That said, after 15 years and knowing how customers order, the number of customers I have, etc. the wines I am offering with the quantities produced will be around and available for 2 weeks. After that time, I can sometimes sell out of a smaller production single vineyard like Bohan or Falstaff. I usually though have entry level wine remaining like Sonoma Pinot and Sonoma Chardonnay which then goes to overseas markets after this release is complete.

I hope that helps! Cheers…

Ps; here is link to our Spring Newsletter which I am proud of and which focuses on background and history at McDougall Ranch this year…

Yeah, for sure. Fun morning and not too bad on the credit card, but certainly wasn’t easy on it either. [tease.gif]

Purchase complete.

Thank you RM! I am grateful to you and all the customers who have supported me and my wines through the years.

I don’t take it for granted and in turn haven’t raised the price of our Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir in 15 vintages!

Cheers, be well and enjoy the wines!

I signed up a few years ago based on the recommendation of a local wine buddy (Randy Goodman) though never got it together to order… Randy passed last year, so I thought this was the time to finally pull the trigger. Excited to add a few to the cellar and toast him when the time comes!

Good wines year to year and excellence customer service.

Love these wines, wish I could afford and store more right now.

Thank you Andrew, B. Jenny and Matt! Best to you all…

In for my 5th vintage. Can’t split up the vertical I have going now.

Excellent notes Frank. I appreciate your sharing those. They are a great compare/contrast with my recent experiences.

I probably should transpose my short notes to cellartracker. When it comes to CT notes I like to take my time writing those notes to give any wine my full attention. I also hate applying # scores. It’s too subjective and limiting IMO though a necessary evil I guess. All that said, when I see many notes on CT amounting to 6 or less words, I am less concerned about my less verbose write-ups.

The chardonnay from this past Saturday was so delicious I will probably pour another one at a wine dinner tomorrow. I love how Jamie’s wines delivery every time for me.

Cheers to all who partook in the offering.

[cheers.gif]

Kevin, I’d appreciate seeing your notes in CT. I use the tool to help me think about how bottles are tracking with development and also follow palates of those who my palate aligns to. If you have a CT handle, share it with me however you wish.

I don’t use scores either and you don’t need to follow any principle that they are ‘necessary evil’. Scores don’t need to be necessary, and so FWIW, feel the relief of not having to put a damn number on a wine. And whatever you want to write, just write it. The TNs you posted above are terrific, so why not share them with the CT community?

Thanks Frank. I’ll be sure to post the notes on CT. My handle is just my name with no spaces.

I don’t keep my inventory up to date but I try to contribute to the tasting notes as I find CT notes the most helpful commentary on wine performance and its readiness as you mentioned.

Cheers.

Anyone know why Jamie no longer updates the vintage chart on his website?

Mark, I am not sure how often Jamie visits here…why not just send him an email? He answers emails pretty fast.