Les Marsaules 2009 - Bourgueil - Domaine du Bel Air - P and R Gauthier

In the recent thread about a theoretical classification of Loire reds, this estate was put among the “Third Growths”. I suggested putting it there myself on the basis of reputation alone, since I had never tried any of their wines, and since nobody questioned the idea, that’s where it stayed. The domain’s top wine is Clos Nouveau, followed by Grand Mont, with Les Marsaules coming in third. So I was keen to try a bottle with a little age and found this at auction recently.

The bouquet is sweet, strong and inviting: it’s not always easy for a non-pro like me to really say what a wine smells like and I don’t think I’m particularly good at it, but this one is clear - blackcurrant, blackcurrant and more blackcurrant, like sniffing a glass of blackcurrant cordial. It does have a little black cherry and leather too, but the blackcurrant gives a clear indication of what is to come. The attack is bright, quite rich, quite plush, but very pure - crunchy dollops of blackcurrant. The middle section will develop further with time, but for now it features dark cherry with a lifting hint of raspberry liqueur, before a very long, slightly chalky finish.

This is really impressive. I have read that Clos Nouveau is rather oaky and that Les Marsaules spends three years in oak barrels, so I was afraid that the oak would show, which it didn’t. The purity of the fruit is similar to other organic wines like Roches-Neuves, but so far, none of the latter’s wines I have tried has shown the depth of Les Marsaules. This is round, pure, but also profound. The fruit tastes unforced, not over-concentrated, without the zinging sweet notes that some Loire reds offer. Still very primary, it needs another four or five years but it’s already very enjoyable, another option for those who are still hesitating about getting into Loire reds, since there is no green pepper.

This costs 20€, putting it in the same category as Yannick Amirault’s wines, Jacky Blot’s, Domaine de la Chevalerie, or from Chinon, Le Clos Guillot by Bernard Baudry, for example. I think it compares well with all them but it would be fun to do a comparative tasting sometime. In the meantime, it left the remnants of the GPL 04 for dead!

Thanks for the note! Last summer when I was heading to France for holidays it seemed like I was suddenly seeing a lot of posts about Clos Nouveau in social media and the praise was quite lofty (when people bothered to actually write something besides the name of the wine). Came across a few of these wines in a wine shop called Badie in Bordeaux and just based on the hype went ahead and bought a bottle of the 2014 Clos Nouveau but still have it in the cellar for now. Can’t wait to see how it compares with the likes of Baudry, Rougeard etc. The CT notes certainly are very promising.

Cheers Ilkka - yes, I got some Clos Nouveau 2014 too and I’m looking forward to trying one. It’s very hard to find, and like Domaine du Collier, it has been touted as a cheaper alternative to Clos Rougeard. Anyway, on the basis of this bottle of Les Marsaules, it’s definitely a domain to follow.

The shop had some of their “lesser” wines with some age on them, I think I missed an opportunity there. Oh well, will definitely keep my eyes open from now on. I think regarding the price Clos Nouveau is already getting up there, I paid 50 € for the bottle.

Yes, Clos Nouveau sells for around 50€, Grand Mont for 30€. There are a couple of other wines too which don’t sound as interesting. Apparently there will not be much from 2017 due to frost damage.