Zinfandel's rollercoaster popularity ride

It’s funny, after just finishing Zinfandel: A History of a Grape it made me reflect on its rollercoaster ride. It seems to be squarely out of fashion and popularity right now (perhaps edging back slightly - I see hints). But this is nothing new; it has tossed and turned like this many times through history. From memory (two weeks after reading book), it was in vogue in mid- to later parts of 70’s and 80’s, then fell out again, only to come back big and jammy in the 90’s and now to be out again. And before that it also showed hints of going in and out. Initially mostly out - a table grape not well respected for winemaking - but rising in reputation after prohibition.

From a personal perspective, I bought Turning Leaf and Fetzer back in the days in Sweden with a nascent wine interest, as they were kind of the only Zins one could get. For us at the time, they seemed like high end, but I think that might have been the novelty perspective of American wine. :wink:

I’ve always enjoyed Zin, and consider it a true American classic. But there was a period where I didn’t pursue it much, so I have a huge gap in my relationship with it.

So, to my question:

I know grapes go through these popularity cycles, but it seems like Zin goes through them more frequently and with higher frequency. Why is that? Is it simply because it’s been here the longest and the cycles of PN, Cab etc haven’t shown yet? Is it because it is a Californian OG and we treat our own kids harsher than the neighbors? Has Cab ever been through a lower demand cycle? And if so, why not - why Zin and not Cab?

Consider that there are still a lot of people whose response to “How about zinfandel” is “The red kind or the white kind?” There is too little appreciation of the better quality zins. I suspect that the fluctuation is the result of periodic fascination with another grape (e.g., Malbec) that causes people who were drinking cheap factory zin to go out and try something else.

Consider that there are still a lot of people whose response to “How about zinfandel” is “The red kind or the white kind?” There is too little appreciation of the better quality zins. I suspect that the fluctuation is the result of periodic fascination with another grape (e.g., Malbec) that causes people who were drinking cheap factory zin to go out and try something else.

There just is not a lot of consumers willing to pay $30 plus for a Zin. I think Seghesio’s base bottle is one of the better transitions for people to see that Zin can be good.

Other examples of boom/bust: There was a steep drop in Merlot sales pre- and post-“Sideways”. Carneros was the center of Pinot until it wasn’t. Australian Shiraz.

I’d agree with Jay that 99% (don’t trust that number) of zin sold isn’t of the style loved by WB (myself included).

And as mentioned there are too many people making “Factory Zins”. Good call on Seghesio, their Sonoma County Zin was a regular on our table for years. The $15 price point was sweet. Thus the price point is the sticking point as it is with the public with most wines. $25+ is luxury wine to the averge consumer where in my cellar it’s a starting point. My rule of thumb, and of course there are exceptions, is good wine isn’t cheap and cheap wine isn’t good. The majority of Zinfandel at the market is over-ripe, flabby and indistinguishable from one winery to the next. It takes that $25-$45 price point to find producers that create something with character and structure and even then you find over-ripe flabby wines. It’s tough.

I really enjoyed reading that book as well. One of its takes was that Zinfandel has always been far more popular here in CA, than elsewhere. And that it has generally never been considered a serious grape.

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed the occasional bottle, but these days the emphasis is going to be occasional. Bought way too much Zin over the last 10 years that I’m now unloading on a friend who still enjoys it on a more regular basis. Seghesio is a good example of the style I never enjoyed, way too thick and overdone. Martinelli is another that I never enjoyed at the other end of the price spectrum.

Stylistic shifts often lead to shifts in consumer acceptance/enthusiasm. Zin has been a bit of a shapeshifter over the years, with the white zin boom, the rise of the goopy high alcohol monsters, and now a more varied field with some wonderfully balanced wines. That shifting can cause confusion, and affect sales.

It seams to me that grape/wine style popularity is mostly driven by “who yells the loudest”. I have always liked fruit forward wines like zin but appreciate the fact that there are many who do not. And that is okay.

I think that’s largely true. And keep in mind, that any measure of the popularity of this or that grape in the USA has been done within the context of a market that was growing larger each year. It’s not like there was a static market in which the popularity of certain grapes would ebb and flow. At one time there was a lot of Chenin Blanc and Barbera planted. Italian Swiss Colony and others would blend lots of grapes together. But then the market became a little larger and a little more sophisticated and people wanted to drink Chardonnay. And then the market became larger yet and other types of Chardonnay became popular. But KJ is still selling a lot of its original style.

Same with Zin. White Zin became popular in the 1970s along with Gallo’s wine coolers. Then the Paris tasting came along and people gradually became more interested in wine in general, and that expanded the universe of grapes used. So I’m not sure that there really was so much of a rollercoaster.

I love Zinfandel and mixed blacks, and I’m grateful that only a few of us think of fine examples as grand cru quality. There may be a lot of old-vine vineyards, but not nearly enough to accommodate the wine drinking world if zin became particularly trendy. For anybody who has dabbled in Burgundy, $50 grand crus are a ridiculous bargain.

Is the popularity of zin really cyclical? Seems pretty steady to me. The prices of quality zin never seem to dip. Or is it the low end of zin that cycles up and down? Does the number of acres planted to zin go up and down. It would be interesting to see some kind of actual statistics on sales, prices, or acres.
Phil Jones

I think of zinfandel as kind of a one-trick pony. The best of them manage to be balanced (Carlisle, Scherrer), but they lack the sophistication of other grapes, and end up still being heavy. Zinfandel seems to excel when it is blended with other grapes - Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs are great examples. Those can be very interesting with age.

No roller coaster chez nous. So much great stuff out there. Never a shortage of deliciousness.

Zin has only gotten better. Bedrock, Once and Future, Carlisle… I don’t care if it’s popular. I love Syrah and hardly anyone likes that.

Ditto Nate and Michael. At my house, my 600-bottle cellar is roughly 90% Zinfandel (mainly Bedrock and Carlisle). About 9% is Petit Sirah, and 1% is other stuff. Zinfandel does not go out of style at my house.
Phil Jones

Oh, it’s definitely a bit out of favor. Hipster somm’s won’t touch it and the farmers can’t sell their Zin fruit.

Thanks for the hipster perspectives Adam! [wink.gif]

I’m not willing to pay less than $30. [stirthepothal.gif]

Linne Calodo seem to do quite well with hipsters…

hmmm.
Hip? Single Thread?

ZINFANDEL
Ridge ‘Buchignani Ranch’ 2008 Ridge ‘Buchignani Ranch’ 2009 Ridge ‘Buchignani Ranch’ 2010 Ridge ‘Carmichael’ 2005 Ridge ‘Carmichael’ 2006 Ridge ‘Carmichael’ 2007 Ridge ‘Carmichael’ 2008 Ridge ‘Carmichael’ 2011
Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 1993 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 1995 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 1997 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2001 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2002 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2003 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2004 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2005 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2007 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2008 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2009 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2010 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2012 Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2013

alexander valley
Ridge ‘Geyserville’ 2015 140 Ridge ‘Llewelyn’ 2000 140 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2003 145 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2004 145 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2005 150 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2006 140 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2007 130 Ridge ‘Mazzoni Home Ranch’ 2008 130 Ridge Late Picked, ‘Nervo’ 2000 195 Ridge ‘Nervo’ 2003 150 Ridge ‘Nervo’ 2004 140 Ridge ‘Nervo’ 2005 150 Ridge ‘Nervo’ 2006 130 Ridge ‘Old School’ 2005 180 Ridge ‘Old School’ 2007 125 Ridge ‘Oltrani’ 2005 140 Ridge ‘Stone Ranch’ 2004 140 San Lorenzo ‘Rock Garden’ 2016 110 San Lorenzo ‘The Pearl’ 2014 165 San Lorenzo ‘The Pearl’ 2016 150
A. Rafanelli 2015 160 Collier Falls ‘Hillside Estate’ 2013 115 Day ‘Grist’ 2016 100 Dehlinger ‘Guadagni Brothers’ 2009 215 Papapietro Perry 2013
Ridge ‘Del Carlo’ 2001 Ridge ‘Del Carlo’ 2003 Ridge ‘East Bench’ 2008 Ridge ‘Lytton Estate’ 2009 Ridge ‘Lytton Estate’ 2010 Ridge ‘Lytton Springs’ 1999 Ridge ‘Lytton Springs’ 2004 Ridge ‘Lytton Springs’ 2006
dry creek
ZINFANDEL
russian river valley
sonoma valley
napa valley
Aldenalli ‘Limerick Lane’ 2016 135 Martinelli ‘Jackass Hill’ 2009 425 Martinelli ‘Jackass Hill’ 2012 385 Portalupi ‘Dolinsek Ranch’ 2016 100 Ridge ‘Ponzo’ 2010 145 Ridge ‘Ponzo’ 2011 130
Buena Vista Haraszthy Cellars 1965 515 Hacienda Wine Cellars 1979 195 Ridge Late Picked, ‘Pagani Ranch’ 2002 215 Ridge ‘Pagani Ranch’ 1995 210 Ridge ‘Pagani Ranch’ 1997 205 Ridge ‘Pagani Ranch’ 2011 145 Roudon-Smith ‘Old Hill Ranch’ 1978 260
Beekeeper ‘Black Sears’, Howell Mountain 2012 200 Frog’s Leap 1993 265 Frog’s Leap 2006 145 Frog’s Leap 2015 80 Grgich Hills 2009 140 Ridge ‘York Creek’, Spring Mountain District 2004 170 Ridge ‘York Creek’, Spring Mountain District 2005 165 Ridge ‘York Creek’, Spring Mountain District 2006 160 Ridge ‘York Creek’, Spring Mountain District 2008 150 Ridge ‘York Creek’, Spring Mountain District 2011 150 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 1987 895 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 1988 895 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 1990 295 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 2008 280 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 2009 280 Storybook Mountain Estate Reserve 2014 160 Storybook Mountain 1990 245 Storybook Mountain 1993 215 Storybook Mountain ‘Eastern Exposures’ 2013 135
ZINFANDEL

santa cruz mountains
central valley & amador
paso robles
Ridge ‘Jimsomare’ 2000 Ridge ‘Jimsomare’ 2001 Ridge ‘Jimsomare’ 2003 Ridge ‘Jimsomare’ 2007 Ridge ‘Jimsomare’ 2008
Alquimista Cellars ‘Jessie’s Grove’, Lodi 2015 AlquimistaCellars’Jessie’sGrove’,Lodi2016 Martha Stoumen ‘King Andrews’, Suisun Valley 2017 Monteviña, Amador 1975
Stirm, Cienega Valley 2016 Sutter Home, Amador 1970
Ridge Late Picked, ‘Dusi Ranch’ 2003 Ridge Late Picked, ‘Dusi Ranch’ 2007 Ridge Late Picked 1997
Ridge 2003
Ridge 2004
Ridge 2005
Ridge 2006
Ridge 2008
Ridge 2009
Ridge 2010
Ridge ‘Dusi Ranch’ 2006