Paul Dethune Brut Rosé, or how to make a good rosé

With a bottle currently sloshing in my belly, I may be a prisoner of the moment, but I don’t know that there is a better $50 rosé champagne on the market. Dry and precise but juicy and bursting with fruit. Supremely gulp-able, but also worthy of contemplation. Man this stuff is righteous. I’ll be buying more for sure

1 Like

Sounds like a great time! I’ll be here with my Dillecart Salmon Rosé :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll see your Bethune and raise you a $45 Camille Sauve

Both excellent regardless of price.

It’s Dethune :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL thanks for the edit! I was wondering why you people couldn’t spell!

Curtis, you beat me to it.

Neal, HAHA!

Brig, it ain’t Sauve, it’s Saves.

You guys are killing me.

Heads above Ployez-Jacquemart?

Jim, the NV Paul Dethune Rose is excellent. I have consumed more of this particular wine than any other from the region. Dozens of bottles of it.

1 Like

Think my spelling is poor just wait until you hear my french pronunciation. It’s a consistent source of amusement for FMIII and the crew. Watching me try and read a french label is pure comedy. Let’s taste blind!

My brain just doesn’t work that way… I get by on my good looks. LOL

There’s only one Brig Campbell, and that’s why I dig you, brother. [drinkers.gif]

Love this. Haven’t seen it in a while from Envoyer.

While you are all at it, it’s Billecart-Salmon, not Dillecart Salmon.
What is it about spelling Shampain?

IAC, thanks for the recommendations for some good QPR rosés.

I misspelled Dethune and others were poking fun.

Just thought I’d spread the fun around a bit. champagne.gif

Sadly, there are a lot of good champagnes I haven’t seen in a while.

David, one other Rose that has really impressed me recently is the Chartogne-Taillet Le Rose. Excellent stuff and priced similar to the Dethune (at least around here).

Thanks for the addition recommendation Frank.

NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (5/23/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 hours –
– 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Chardonnay –
– June 2019 disgorgement –

NOSE: medium-light, airy, aromatics dominated by a light red berry/Pinot character.

BODY: medium bodied; pinkish-salmon color.

TASTE: not austere; dosage or natural sweetness is noticeable; red berry; Ashley found it to be a bit syrupy-tasting; very nice, but a bit bigger/sweeter than I (we) prefer. Not a re-buy for me.

Brian
I wonder if it was an off bottle. I don’t think I’ve opened one of these that I didn’t enjoy, although I’m not sure I’ve had that particular disgorgement. I was recently thinking I might not buy any other rosè in that price range.
My note on this wine from last month:
“While it’s tough to follow an '06 Taittinger Comtes BdB, this pinot-heavy rosé easily held its own. Graceful, charming, delicious. The next time I see this for a reasonable price, I’m buying six cases, and when I can’t fit them in my cellar, I’ll get a pickax and shovel and bury them in my yard.”

Cheers,
Warren

Off bottle is always a possibility, but I have no reason to believe this was anything other than a personal preference issue. I just have a strong preference for super dry sparklers. For a “bigger” rose, both Ashley and I prefer Bara’s, which I do acknowledge is materially different than the Dethune.

1 Like