TN: 2013 Ceritas Peter Martin Ray Vyd. Cabernet

This is the first bottle of a three-pack I purchased on release a few years ago. The wine is young and a little firm after about an hour, but it is not closed or dumb. It is dark red in the glass and has a nice floral, red fruit nose. This is not a fruit bomb, and in that sense it appeals to me stylistically. In fact, pencil lead is what comes to mind most in the flavor profile of this wine, with red raspberry-like notes coming in from behind. I would say this wine is a “hold” for a few more years, but I don’t regret opening this one at all.

As an aside, I opened this because I am contemplating ordering some of the PN and Chard from the current Ceritas release. I did not feel like PN or Chardonnay tonight, so I decided to try this instead to see if it was consistent with my impression of the “house style,” of which I am a big fan. I don’t recall having a disappointing bottle from this producer.

Great note!

Love Ceritas, and I’m pretending this was my note and will still wait a while!

Thanks Brad. I’ve been waiting to see someone here post a TN. Regrettably, I have a vertical from 2012-2016 minus the '13. I must have missed that release.
I mentally group Ceritas with Arnot Roberts and Enfield. Three small producers who make beautiful Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet, and can do no wrong in my eyes.

Cheers,
Warren

I don’t care for their PN. But their chard is world class. Thanks for the note on the cab. I’ll have to try one sometime.

Brad, appreciate note - LOVE the Ceritas Cab, one of my favorite expressions of Cabernet from CA ever since the initial 2012 release.

Glad to take one for the team!

As my note probably betrayed, I have no history with the Cab (until now) but a little more with the PN and Chard. Based on my confidence in the producer and this bottle, I will look to buy the Cab going forward.

[cheers.gif]

Agreed Scott on both the PN and Chard. I purchased my first 3-pack of the recently released cab as it stylistically sounds like a good match with my palate.

Man, I an wracking my brain trying to think of the best comparison cabernet, but I am drawing a blank.

I can only come up with: similar to old style Heitz for structure, but not a similar flavor profile.

Maybe similar to 1990-era A Rafanelli, but less “weedy.”

Also maybe reminiscent of the older Kathryn Kennedy cabs.

I’d love to see how others would compare it.