Tricky wine pairing - feijoada!

Hey folks - any quick recommendations on a wine pairing with feijoada other than Malbec? I was wondering about a semi-dry Riesling, since it’s primarily beans and pork, but it is a richer dish, very hearty. Merlot might work but not sure…

Dude, go for a super big Zin, Petite Sirah or Cahors.

Or a big Syrah. That stuff usually has some smoked meats included and if you get a Syrah with a bit of a smokey note, it would be great. I’ve had bigger wine from Ribera del Duero as well.

When done right it has a healthy dose of garlic, so not sure. Petite or big Zin, as long as its not too heavy on oak.

Well, no self respecting Brazilian would drink wine with feijoada, more likely beer or Caipirinha :wink: But I’ll take a different angle: if you want wine, I think it should be white, something a little fruity, like a Chenin Blanc, Albarino, etc. Riesling as well. I always have trouble matching red wine with any kind of spice.

Has linguiça and smoked bacon, but mostly pork shoulder, some beef short ribs. I’d think a Syrah would be way too much for it, unless I did something from Northern Rhone, the ‘trendy’ style, like Verset or Dard et Ribo…or what about a Chateauneuf du Pape? Ribera del Duero is an interesting call!

Yes, it has a good dose of garlic in it, as well

Young Bandol

Wish I had one - wouldn’t be here asking, that’s for sure!

I’d probably go beaujolais, Cali pinot, or southern Rhone-style wine. Bubbles should work, too. This dish brings me to a red wine for some reason. Maybe it’s the black beans. I think you can pretty much go with any wine with ample fruit, though. I’ve never had Brazilian food that was very hot.

Yeah!!!

Beaujolais - that just sounds perfect - I’m going with '15 Morgon Cote du Py

I just can’t think of doing a huge red with this stew, when it is primarily pork. I like acid and fruit with it, which is probably why it is served with orange slices! [cheers.gif]

when in doubt: chamapagne. i actually think that rings pretty true for this dish. especially if its got a little bit of heat and your bubbles has a small amount of dosage.

Dão or a white Rhone, Catalonian Garnacha Blanca, aged (15+) Tannat…endless possibilities.

I would go with Alsatian Riesling. Most reds would either be overwhelmed by the dish or would be too big and clash with it. Alsatian Riesling would be refreshing, which is needed, and with enough concentration to stand up to the food. I find it works great with lots of different flavorful, savory dishes that include cured meats.

I second the cru bo and southern Rhone thoughts.

So I don’t know all that’s in yours, but in RdD they make a pork-based stew with different cuts of meat and beans, etc, that is a little bit similar.

So what did The Todd pour with his feijoada? Did you eat in the casita? champagne.gif

Paired tonight with a Ridge Demostene Zinfandel… the Beaujolais was a better pairing!

JDavis - here’s the ‘what did The Todd pour’ answer - https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2907486#p2907486

As a Brazilian, I have to say that a Brazilian homemade feijoada would kill any red wine in the world. Better pairing would definitely be a Caipirinha, but if I had to pick a wine, it would be a Brazilian very dry sparkling: Cave Geisse Nature or the intriguing Cave Amadeu Rustico Nature. Cheers!

Sorry about that. I totally missed it.

Sounds like had leftovers? Did the dish improve? I sometimes like me stews like this the second or even third day better.