TN: 2018 Marcel Lapierre - Morgon "Cuvée Camille" (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

2018 Marcel Lapierre Morgon Cuvée Camille - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (1/21/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 20 min before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: high-toned; strong note of crushed strawberries; medium to medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: garnet-violet color of medium-light to medium depth; medium to medium-full bodied.

TASTE: tastes a bit alcoholic (and it is labelled at 14.5%); red-fruited; lightly tannic; too alcoholic for my preferences – would love to see this around 12.5% to 13.5%… Gut impression score: high 80s. Not a rebuy for me in this vintage.

'16, though not a “highly rated” vintage, is still my favorite over the last handful of vintages of this cuvee. '17 was a bit candied in flavor, though not at all hot or alcoholic. This sounds like a mess.

Ugh. A retailer I often buy from just listed a ton of 2018 Cru Beaujolais from very good domaines and besides a small handful of exceptions they were all 13.5%-14% ABV (one 14.5% even!). For my overly sensitive palate it is extremely unlikely that the balance, freshness and weightlessness that I crave for are there at those levels. Such a shame. The 2016 Cuvée Camille was great.

I appreciate the comments on the '16. This was my first venture with Lapierre, and, sadly, I have one more bottle. I’m sure I can find an occasion where it will fit the bill. Will keep my eyes open for a straggling bottle of the '16 to try.

I just missed out on grabbing some of that Camille. After your note, I am glad I did.

I wonder how his other 2018 wines are.