TN: 2017 Sine Qua Non Tectumque (USA, California, Central Coast)

• 2017 Sine Qua Non Tectumque - USA, California, Central Coast (1/17/2020)
    I very much like SQN whites because they represent a blend of the complex flavors of southern Rhone grapes with other stuff that Manfred decides to blend in, combined with the bright fruit-forward power of California sunshine. Although a baby, this is one of the best of his best. A cascade of fruits - citrus, tropical, pineapple and even a bit of tart white granny smith apple. 38% Roussanne, 31% Petit Manseng, 18% Chardonnay, 9% Viognier and 4% Muscat. I did not notice material oak influence although 78% of the mish mosh of fermentation containers were new french oak punchons (about twice the size of a barrique).

There was some floral on the nose, but I opened this at a froufrou ladies who lunch combination food shop and clothing boutique in Greenwich where I met a fellow wineaux for lunch, so perhaps the perfume on the others in the restaurant was responsible for a part of the aroma. The color was, as is the case with a lot of the SQN whites, a bit darker than, let’s say, Burgundy chardonnay, but only slight darker and golden.

If you hate this wine, great! More for me. :slight_smile: (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds delicious, Jay!

Not to be a ‘broken record’, but the only thing I hate is that Cellar tracker puts this in as ‘Central Coast’ instead of SB County or Ventura County.

I’ve been told that it would be ‘difficult’ to make this change . . .bit this is basically a database. Should be easy to do.

Brung one of thes out to Falltacular my friend - would love to share one with you.

Cheers.

How would you compare it to “In the Abstract”? In the recent five vintages, that one has been my favorite. When they are more fruity than waxy, I like them more.

Cheers,
fred

Everyone says these need to age, but it sounds like this is accessible now. I haven’t opened anything since “In the Abstract” and it’s my current all-time fave SQN white (in accord with the prior post).

Since my Lipitor offline at a steakhouse in Dana Point is not drawing a huge crowd, maybe we will do white SQN and seafood on the water on Friday. The dinner for the grown ups starts at 6 pm but since we will still be on NY time, maybe we will have an appetizer and starter party at one of those places overlooking the water starting at 5 pm and you can share some. TBD.

I had In the Abstract over 5 years ago. I am not good at compare and contrast on wines I had months apart, let alone 5 years, so I can’t really help you. All I know from my old note is that I loved them both.