I love these American pinot noirs. Maybe only these.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

I love these American pinot noirs. Maybe only these.

#1 Post by George Chadwick » February 6th, 2020, 11:02 pm

In no order, price irrelevant:

Burt Williams era (pre-1998) Williams Selyem, all of them.

Ken Burnap-era Santa Cruz Mt. Vineyards Estate bottling.

One bottle of David Bruce Estate Reserve 1992, in a special box, wax capsule, the last vintage before the vines were ripped out, drank it 2005 or so. I'll buy every bottle I see but there aren't any.

J Thomas 2002 and 2008. Wow.

Gavin Chanin's Lutum Sanford and Benedict 2013. Lutum is no more. Gavin Chanin's Chanin wines with a few more years aging for the oak and sweetness to settle down? I think. Not certain.

Young Hagen Riddle Vineyard, unique, terrific. BTW absurd Berserkerday prices, offer closed. Addictive terroir driven wine.

All of Paul Lato's pinots but his Santa Ritas are my favorite. (Not sure about the Pisoni)

Arterberry Dundee Hills but not the more expensive single vineyards (the Maresh Chard though is terrific)

With food, anything from the savory Ladd lineup.

Calera with tons of age.

A bottle of Arcadian Charlie Fu served blind and I was certain it was Burgundy.

Radio Coteau Marsh. Two vintages made 2002 and 2003.

August West but it's vineyard by vineyard.

Rhys....hmm....the Swan Terrace might be my favorite American pinot with ten years age, and it sets the bar impossibly high for the rest ...Skyline is on its own planet ...they all need ten years plus except maybe Horseshoe...all of the 2006's and 2008's are terrific despite the very young vines...the 2009's are not my style...2023-on I'll be very happy when the post-2009's are ready, with more mature vines

I'm thinking of a few other wineries but they are "correct" more than they resonate. Anyone reading this, who suggests other wineries? I suspect that will be my reaction. Golf clap.

Marcassin: every one I've had has been youthfully disjointed, based on the Chard I think they need 20 years to settle down

Au Bon Climat: I missed the boat. A year ago I had two together, nothing like each other, I suspect Clendenen is a genius. But I don't known enough. I have one bottle of Chanin Au Bon Climat, 2011 I think, I might never find the right time to open it

Santa Lucia Highlands, all of it: no. Indistinct soup.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 7th, 2020, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I love these American pinot noirs. Maybe only these.

#2 Post by Dan Hammer » February 7th, 2020, 7:03 am

You can add Sojourn to the list.
This space for rent.

Izzy Nosnik

#3 Post by Izzy Nosnik » February 7th, 2020, 7:08 am

If you dig Lutum, Last Bottle Wines picked up a massive cache of their remaining inventory prior to closing and the dump the wines every now and then. I bought a few from them. They offered the sanford and benedict 2016 about 3 months ago and had the Rita's Crown last week.

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by William Segui » February 7th, 2020, 7:13 am

Great call on Young Hagen

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brady Daniels » February 7th, 2020, 7:16 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Au Bon Climat: I missed the boat. A year ago I had two together, nothing like each other, I suspect Clendenen is a genius. But I don't known enough. I have one bottle of Chanin Au Bon Climat, 2011 I think, I might never find the right time to open it
Missed the boat? Has it left? Did something happen to Jim?

Fun list, btw! I might ask a few more questions later.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Andrew M

#6 Post by Andrew M » February 7th, 2020, 7:22 am

Really enjoy Chanin and it pains me to share widely that the 2016 Bien Nacido Chardonnay sampled at their tasting room last year is absolutely fantastic. A steal on K&L right now at $35. Like GC Chablis in minerality and flavor profile if a little lacking in body. His pinots are pretty darn good too but I had a couple mixed experiences with older bottles on WineBid.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jim Clary » February 7th, 2020, 7:48 am

I am a huge fan of Paul Lato wines, literally everything he makes (pinot, chard, Syrah, Grenache). In 2015, he made not only a Pisoni bottling, but also made a special Reserve bottling from the vineyard that is killer. Having a hard time keeping my hands off of my bottles.

We tend to like big pinot's like KB and Cirq. To that list, I would also add Morlet, who seems to get very little play on this board, as well as Aubert.
Jim Clary

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Bryan Price » February 7th, 2020, 9:20 am

Jim Clary wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:48 am
I am a huge fan of Paul Lato wines, literally everything he makes (pinot, chard, Syrah, Grenache). In 2015, he made not only a Pisoni bottling, but also made a special Reserve bottling from the vineyard that is killer. Having a hard time keeping my hands off of my bottles.

We tend to like big pinot's like KB and Cirq. To that list, I would also add Morlet, who seems to get very little play on this board, as well as Aubert.
Morlet is definitely fantastic, we're opening the 2012 Joli Coeur for my wife's birthday tonight.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jud Reis » February 7th, 2020, 9:30 am

George - have you ever tried Mount Eden’s Pinots? From your list, a bottle with some age on it might be right up your alley.

Ian Brand

#10 Post by Ian Brand » February 7th, 2020, 10:04 am

George,
I hear you. If you haven't spent some time with the following (obviously not a comprehensive list), they've impressed me over the last couple years:
Sante Arcangeli Split Rail (really a steal)
Drew Estate Wines
Littorai pretty much all of them
Hanzell Estate recent vintages
2013 Kutch Falstaff
Of course the Mount Edens. Epic in good vintages, 05, 07, 12, 13, 14. Chanin, ABC, Aradian, etc.
Samuel Louis Pelio Vineyard
Roar 16 vintage on (seriously)
Ian
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Scott Jameson » February 7th, 2020, 11:00 am

Agree that Mount Eden seems a big omission. Aren't they in your backyard, George, or may be 2000 feet above it ?

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jason T » February 7th, 2020, 11:26 am

George, are there any other producers from Oregon that you’ve tried, but don’t make the list?
J@son Tr@ughber

jhans

#13 Post by jhans » February 7th, 2020, 11:41 am

The Paul Lato wines are one of my all time favorites as well. Nice to see him get some accolades recently from WA on the Pisoni vineyard designates.
John

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 11:54 am

Brady Daniels wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:16 am
George Chadwick wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Missed the boat? Has it left? Did something happen to Jim?

Fun list, btw! I might ask a few more questions later.
I guess I meant, it would take too long for me to explore all the different offerings of ABC. I wouldn't know where or in which vintage to start.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 11:59 am

Jason T wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 11:26 am
George, are there any other producers from Oregon that you’ve tried, but don’t make the list?
Good question. I don't know much. What's the Duck one? Dusky Goose? Not my style.
I prefer Coattails, made by Mike Etzel's sons, to Beaux Freres.
I have some Walter Scott pinots but have not tried one.
Stephen Goff is so-so at best.
I had Adelsheim recently, did not like it, then Adelsheim Elizabeth I think, loved it.
Domaine Serene not my style.
Ken Wright not my style.
Penner Ash and Patricia Green no opinion, I'm aging a couple of bottles of each.
Eyrie never tried...yet.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 7th, 2020, 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 11:00 am
Agree that Mount Eden seems a big omission. Aren't they in your backyard, George, or may be 2000 feet above it ?
I lump Mt. Eden pinot, Dehlinger, and Tony Soter together in that I admire the quality but they seem to lack soul.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 10:04 am
George,
I hear you. If you haven't spent some time with the following (obviously not a comprehensive list), they've impressed me over the last couple years:
Sante Arcangeli Split Rail (really a steal)
Drew Estate Wines
Littorai pretty much all of them
Hanzell Estate recent vintages
2013 Kutch Falstaff
Of course the Mount Edens. Epic in good vintages, 05, 07, 12, 13, 14. Chanin, ABC, Aradian, etc.
Samuel Louis Pelio Vineyard
Ian
Really didn't like ROAR after several tries. Then last month I tried their winemaker's Flywheel wines and really liked them and you are the second person this year to tell me ROAR's style has changed into something I'd like.

However I was told the same about Kosta Browne but ten or so years ago I briefly joined a tasting group and my third or so time, someone poured four different Kosta Brownes blind, and I was so viscerally and vocally offended by all four of them that I was never invited back, so I'm not interested in whether I'd like them now.

Ok now I'm flooded with thoughts of many very respected pinots I really don't like.

Ian Brand

#18 Post by Ian Brand » February 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I'd still invite you back. At least for the show.

Shut out the bad thoughts, George. Focus on your breath.
Salinas, CA

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jason T » February 7th, 2020, 12:20 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 11:59 am
Jason T wrote:
Good question. I don't know much. What's the Duck one? Dusky Goose? Not my style.
I had Adelsheim recently, did not like it, then Adelsheim Elizabeth I think, loved it.
Ken Wright not my style.
The wines you describe as not your style - aligns with my tastes as well. If you have a chance you should give Goodfellow a try - I think they’d resonate with you.
J@son Tr@ughber

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Jason T wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:20 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Ken Wright not my style.
The wines you describe as not your style - aligns with my tastes as well. If you have a chance you should give Goodfellow a try - I think they’d resonate with you.
My friend Sean loves Goodfellow, gifted me one, I drank it, way too young for me to get a read on it, I did not give it enough air.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

LOL. Not when the breath stinks of four blind tastes of...oh never mind.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 7th, 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Anton D » February 7th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I like this topic!

It's hard for me to get a specific feel for your palate, George, and I may have a broader range of what I like, but trying to guess where you may be pleased...

Sticking to California...

I enjoy Domaine De La Cote pinots a great deal, the entire line.

Also, Ceritas.

Both of the above tend toward a higher acid profile that I enjoy.

Someone mentioned Aubert pinot and I agree.

Also consider auditioning Rivers Marie, Lynmar, Merry Edwards, Hyde Winery, and Peter Michael.

In an hour or so I will remember some favorites I forgot to mention, but I think the above wines are worth your time to taste!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Larry Stein

#23 Post by Larry Stein » February 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I'd add Sandler to the list.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Anton D wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I like this topic!

It's hard for me to get a specific feel for your palate, George, and I may have a broader range of what I like, but trying to guess where you may be pleased...

Sticking to California...

I enjoy Domaine De La Cote pinots a great deal, the entire line.
Went on a strange and wonderful Berserkers weekend tour of the Lompoc area that ended with this vineyard and no one told me how to get there so I had a wild drive down dirt roads and never got to try one. Pretty sure I'd like it

Also, Ceritas.

Someone mentioned Aubert pinot and I agree.

Also consider auditioning Rivers Marie

Merry Edwards

In an hour or so I will remember some favorites I forgot to mention, but I think the above wines are worth your time to taste!

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Anton D » February 7th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Well, maybe we do have significant overlap! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:51 pm

jhans wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 11:41 am
The Paul Lato wines are one of my all time favorites as well. Nice to see him get some accolades recently from WA on the Pisoni vineyard designates.
Skeptical of anything from Santa Lucia Highlands and I've never loved a Pisoni. I'll edit my above Paul Lato note to add this.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 7th, 2020, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Larry Stein wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm
I'd add Sandler to the list.
Never tried one....is that also Ed Kurtzman? One of his August Wests was my favorite wine at a huge pinot event.

I 've been avoiding it because I was confusing it with Sandlands. I'm supposed to love their...is it Carignane?.... and I don't, I prefer Harrington Birichino and Brand styles for the supposed blending grapes.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 7th, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by P Intag » February 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your list. I've been in a domestic Pinot mood this past year and have come across some very nice wines (and many clunkers). Here are the standouts:
2009 Masút Pinot Noir
2012 Patricia Green Freedom Hill
2006 W.H. Smith Maritime
2010 Bonaccorsi Bien Nacido
2014 Sandler Bien Nacido
2008 Kutch Sonoma Coast
2009 Bratcher Jane Madison
1996 W.H. Smith Hellenthal
2009 Pfendler Sonoma Coast
2008 Armitage Santa Cruz Mountains
2009 Foursight Charles Vineyard
2007 Foursight Charles "Clone 5"
2000 Copain Hein
2000 Copain Dennison
2006 PGC Etzel Block
2006 PGC Goldschmidt
Paul

Larry Stein

#29 Post by Larry Stein » February 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Sandler is Ed's own operation as opposed to August West which is a partnership. He makes many Pinots!

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by RyanC » February 7th, 2020, 1:03 pm

I don't buy much New World pinot. I generally prefer Burgundy at every price point. But you've identified some of my exceptions. In addition to what has been mentioned, I would include Kutch and Joseph Swan (surprised they haven't been mentioned; they age forever)
C@ughey

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm

P Intag wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Thanks for sharing your list. I've been in a domestic Pinot mood this past year and have come across some very nice wines (and many clunkers). Here are the standouts:
2009 Masút Pinot Noir
2006 W.H. Smith Maritime
2014 Sandler Bien Nacido
2008 Kutch Sonoma Coast
2000 Copain Hein
2000 Copain Dennison
2006 PGC Etzel Block
2006 PGC Goldschmidt
Re Armitage: I recently had a magnificent 2006 Heart o the Mountain, Alfred Hitchcock's old vineyard, by Armitage. Found it on Winebid. I looked and there are none on Winesearcher. I think it's substantially superior to Armitage's other wines but that could have been the additional age. You are wise to drink your domestic pinots seven to nineteen years old.

Brian Gilp

#32 Post by Brian Gilp » February 7th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Thanks for your list as it gives me some names to try. We overlap a lot on likes and dislikes, especially the dislike of SLH. I can only think of two names to add. One is Tyler. I don’t recall a bottle that I didn’t like and a few have knocked me out. Visited a few years back and then visited Chanin/Lutum directly after and felt them basically equal where I think I preferred the pinot from Tyler and the Chardonnay from Chanin. The other is Ghostwriter, where I admit that I only have a few data points but liked them all and given my love of Kenny’s work with his other labels I feel comfortable cellaring a number of bottles in expectation that I will love them with more time in bottle.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Mel Knox » February 7th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I talked to Jim at ABC on Monday....he is still Jim.

George,
I would start collecting the Knox Alexander Pinot right away. The name is great. Maybe the Isabelle as well. Buy a case every year for ten years and then start drinking.
Last edited by Mel Knox on February 7th, 2020, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Wes Barton » February 7th, 2020, 6:15 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Ian Brand wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 10:04 am
Ian
Really didn't like ROAR after several tries. Then last month I tried their winemaker's Flywheel wines and really liked them and you are the second person this year to tell me ROAR's style has changed into something I'd like.
It's the second generation, who've been apprenticed into the business. They've been experimenting and allowing Scott to consult on improving the wines. The old style is fairly big, with bold oak. In my experience, those sometimes age very well. That's been lightening up. My other issue is I'm not a fan of the Pisoni or Garys' vineyards. On the other hand, Rosella's puts out lovely fruit, and Sierra Mar, too. Both the Pinot and Syrah from Rosella's from '15 knocked it out of the park, from what I tasted when bottling. I think you'd love those. (Oh, and the inaugural Sierra Mar Grenache - only 15 cases, so I didn't get any - was easily the best young Grenache I've had. It was like, "Oh! The SLH growers should be grafting a lot of this in!" Grenache and Riesling! The future of SLH!)
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by George Chadwick » February 7th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Mel Knox wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:29 pm
I talked to Jim at ABC on Monday....he is still Jim.

George,
I would start collecting the Knox Alexander Pinot right away. The name is great. Maybe the Isabelle as well. Buy a case every year for ten years and then start drinking.
Isabelle was one of the two I tried. I loved it.

AndyK

#36 Post by AndyK » February 7th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Pretty good list :) For me, Rhys Skyline is on top, followed by Horseshoe...

I also enjoy some Littorais with a bit of age (One Acre, Haven) and Anthill Abbey-Harris.

Not a fan of Patricia Green, but I did like Beaux Freres very much when we tasted there last summer.
k0berl

jason stein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by jason stein » February 7th, 2020, 7:55 pm

As someone who drinks predominantly Burgundy, I enjoy the Anthill Farms pinots.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Mattstolz » February 7th, 2020, 8:16 pm

based on your list (and the implied fact that you like burgundy more than US wines) I think you are barking in the wrong state in CA. Oregon is your money shot. Domaine Serene is not representative, and the ones you are aging are probably your best bets. Walter Scott, Patricia Green, Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, Evening Land, Lingua Franca, st innocent etc. Eyrie has a couple bottling that are great, especially the original vines bottlings. The only adelsheim I've really liked is an aged Elizabeth cuvee. but if you like ABC in CA then this is the direction to go IMO.
Last edited by Mattstolz on February 7th, 2020, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Glas

#39 Post by Brian Glas » February 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Can't name one California Pinot that I have really enjoyed. I'll take Vincent, Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, St. Innocent, Belle Pente, and Longplay any day over the Cali fruit bombs.

Greg Malcolm
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Greg Malcolm » February 8th, 2020, 8:07 am

George Chadwick wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Eyrie never tried...yet.
You should try both. Based on your lists, I expect that they will align with your preferences. I opened a 2011 Walter Scott Dumb Ox Pinot Noir this past Wednesday, for my wife’s birthday. It was excellent.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#41 Post by Jim Anderson » February 8th, 2020, 8:38 am

George Chadwick wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Ken Wright not my style.
Penner Ash and Patricia Green no opinion, I'm aging a couple of bottles of each.

Eyrie never tried...yet.
The only thing we and the wines have in common is alphabetical proximity.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Ian Brand

#42 Post by Ian Brand » February 8th, 2020, 9:06 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Re Armitage: I recently had a magnificent 2006 Heart o the Mountain, Alfred Hitchcock's old vineyard, by Armitage. Found it on Winebid. I looked and there are none on Winesearcher. I think it's substantially superior to Armitage's other wines but that could have been the additional age. You are wise to drink your domestic pinots seven to nineteen years old.
I'm pretty sure 2006 was still when Jeff Emery was involved in the project. He was consulting and winemaking for the first few vintages, then there was a period at the end of the aughts when the Brassfields were doing their own thing before Brandon got involved, if memory serves. Definitely a Pinot vineyard worth paying attention to, especially as changing weather patterns (less rain, more heat, warmer winters) force pinot vineyards off the ridge tops and lower into gullies or lower elevations. Both Brandon and Jeff have made some great Pinots in their careers, especially with a little age.

I'd also add Cobb to the list. And if you've never had a 30 year old Chalone (or Hanzell, or Mount Eden, or SCMV), you owe it to yourself to see what that looks like. Seems like you might have spoken a little soon and now have a lot of work to do?
Salinas, CA

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 8th, 2020, 10:06 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Ian Brand wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

LOL. Not when the breath stinks of four blind tastes of...oh never mind.
Ha! That’s awesome. I know the feeling(speaking to blind tastings of wines that just aren’t in the wheelhouse at all). It’s great that wines stimulate such passion.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 8th, 2020, 10:11 am

jason stein wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:55 pm
Agreed. They’re not really Old world in style but IMO always have great balance and finesse. Really pretty wines.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

jason stein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by jason stein » February 8th, 2020, 10:13 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:11 am
jason stein wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:55 pm
Agreed. They’re not really Old world in style but IMO always have great balance and finesse. Really pretty wines.
This is exactly how I feel about them. I agree they are not Old world style -- but if I want that, I drink Burgundy! I go for West Coast pinots when I'm looking for something a little different.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Anton D » February 8th, 2020, 10:15 am

I haven't tasted any in a while, but perhaps Santa Cruz Mountain Winery pinots would please, as well.
Anton Dotson

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by P Intag » February 8th, 2020, 11:49 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm
P Intag wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm
2009 Masút Pinot Noir
2006 W.H. Smith Maritime
2014 Sandler Bien Nacido
2008 Kutch Sonoma Coast
2000 Copain Hein
2000 Copain Dennison
2006 PGC Etzel Block
2006 PGC Goldschmidt
Yeah, I'll have to keep my eyes open for more Armitage. I've been picking up a lot of these older Cali Pinots on auction to try and gauge my preferences, and I have to say that the best bottles for my palate were the older ones. That 1996 WH Smith Hellenthal blew my mind. The 2000 Copains were fantastic, too. It's interesting that there are so many older Cali Pinots on auction that there is little interest in, as the reserve drops to $20 and below on many of these bottles. Of course, I've picked up some bad older bottles, too, but overall I have been very pleased and happy that people are getting rid of them for next to nothing.
Paul

C Chen

#48 Post by C Chen » February 8th, 2020, 1:14 pm

+1 to Arcadian. Surprised his wines aren't universally recognized/desired around here.
CT: C Chen

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#49 Post by Adam Frisch » February 8th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Can't name one California Pinot that I have really enjoyed. I'll take Vincent, Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, St. Innocent, Belle Pente, and Longplay any day over the Cali fruit bombs.
Have you tried Lioco, Failla, Ceritas, Tyler? I think Lioco and Tyler is great value for money - they feel very Oregonian to me. Failla a little bigger and earthier. Ceritas very restrained.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by George Chadwick » February 8th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Anton D wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:15 am
I haven't tasted any in a while, but perhaps Santa Cruz Mountain Winery pinots would please, as well.
Yes that was my Ken Burnap reference in my original post. I'll expand on that later.

Return to “Wine Talk”