TN: 2017 Francois Bertheau Chambolle Musigny

Generous on PnP, with an intoxicating aroma of ripe red cherries on the nose. More crunchy red fruits on the palate, which had nice acidity and was very elegant. Drinking fantastically right now. I am loving 17 reds. I realized I put away a lot of 17 Bertheau when I was unpacking shipments this fall and I am not at all distressed by this news.

Nice note. Earlier this year tasted this wine with a half dozen similar price/level 2017s and this was the stand out. So pretty!

Load up on 17 as the 18(Bertheau) is a disaster from what I heard?

Concur on that 17 village…SO Chambolle…and SO Bertheau!:heart_eyes:

There’s been mixed reviews; I got like 8 bottles of the 18, 3 each of charmes and 1er and 2 ac; we’ll see I guess. I realized I have like 3 cases of the different 17s; not many bonnes mares or amoureuses, though.

Have you heard this from anybody who tasted in the cellar, rather than London EP? The latter is notoriously variable. Davy Strange’s earlier thread here was based on a London tasting.

Steen Ohman liked the 18s on his blog.

I’m just now starting to play around with Burgundy. Have really enjoyed the few Chambolle Musigny that I’ve tried.

Am keen on trying Bertheau’s wines, and had a chance to get some ‘18s when they came out a couple weeks ago, but didn’t pull the trigger as I’m still skittish on the vintage based on the limited bit I’ve heard so far.

Bertheau did very well in 2017, 2016 and 2015, so it might be worth considering backfilling rather than chasing the 2018s…

François’ father’s wines were frequently superb, by the way, so don’t hesitate if you ever see any.

What do you think happened at Bertheau in 2018 that led to the substandard quality?

I am very puzzled by the reviews on the 2018 bertheau. It almost sounds like the reviewers are tasting completely different wines. Soupy mess versus best ever from Bertheau.