Advice for European Trip

We are in the planning phase of a trip focused on Bordeaux (at least one week), with additional time spent in the Rhone Valley and/or Burgundy and/or Spain. We have perused one of the Virtuoso cruises through Bordeaux, which looks very attractive. Any advice from those with experience would be much appreciated. We have traveled a fair amount, but not to these areas. We are at a stage in our lives where we prefer the experience to be as “first class” as possible. Thanks in advance!

Colin [cheers.gif]

My wife went this past summer and greatly enjoyed tasting at Château Pichon Baron, including tastes of their entire line and of several vintages.

They also spent it up a little for an experience at Chateau D’Yquem.

I posted about her trip here: A Berserker Abroad... - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Wishing you a great time!

That is so good, Anton. Loved reading it. I don’t know her but I love Nanny! flirtysmile

Colin

Spain is awesome…When we went, we flew into Barcelona, spent a few days there eating and drinking and walking and sightseeing. Then we rented a car and drove across Spain (incredible roads and infrastructure), stopped in Rioja for a few days, then on to the Atlantic Coast to San Sebastian (a food lovers paradise). If you like to eat and drink, Spain is great, you won’t be dissapointed. And San Sebastian is only about a 3-hour drive from Bordeaux.

Last year my wife and I had an amazing time travelling through Rioja and Bordeaux. We only had a week to split between to two before carrying on our travels across the south of France.

For a ‘first class’ experience I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend staying at the Marques de Riscal hotel, a stunning Frank Ghery designed hotel in Elciego. In Bordeaux, les sources de Caudalie hotel far exceeded our expectations - beautiful setting situated in the vineyards of smith haut lafitte. We stopped in between at San Sebastián - so many good things to say about this city.

We were limited in the extent of chateau visits we could squeeze in with a two year old in tow but thoroughly enjoyed touring pichon baron and smith haut lafitte. Although I’m partial to the wines of pichon baron, I thought the organized tour at Smith haut lafitte was exceptional - they have embraced the tourism aspect quite well and the seeing the workshop where they produce their own barrels was intriguing.

My only regrets would be sleeping though my appointment to visit R. Lopez de Hereida as a result of jet lag.