TN: 2016 Château d'Armailhac (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

2016 Château d’Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/19/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hrs on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –

NOSE: oak; hint of roast beef; rye bread; a bit high-toned; no distinct, singularly-identifiable fruits.

BODY: medium bodied; clear; violet color of great depth.

TASTE: sweet oak; good acidity; very fine tannins; labelled at 13.5% alc., and it’s well-hidden; approachable now, but seems it would be best with 10+ additional years on it; not super-structured (not a concentrated, tannic beast); more red-fruited than purple-fruited. Day 2: oak has calmed-down a bit; elegant; by analogy, this wine is more long distance runner than sprinter … more decathlete than power lifter. Gut impression score: 91 – 92.

Nice to see this, I picked up a few 2016’s but not many as I really am seeing I prefer my Bordeaux in the 30+ year window. Thanks for the note Brian.

As a side note, some of the 2005’s I’ve opened have been breath-taking on day two. They’re also still readily available in the market. So I’ve been looking at back-filling some.

I love the '05s … probably my absolute favorite vintage that was released during my time as a wine geek. Which '05s have recently impressed you? I’ve pretty much stashed all mine away deep the bottom back of my off-site, but for a couple that lean more modern.

I haven’t ventured far into the 16’s, instead preferring back-fills and continued '14 purchases. This '16 d’Armailhac reminds me a lot of many 14s I’ve had — if that impression remains over the course of a few more '16s, I’ll simply continue on with buying the significantly-cheaper 14s. No way does this '16 d’Armailhac need 30+ years; no way. And I say that as someone who has very similar ageing preferences as you.

We found some of these at Costco for $47. A very nice wine at that price point.

Ed

Pretty much all of my 05s are in the “not yet” section of the cellar, but I suppose maybe it is time to rethink this, and I have a few bottles of this. Thanks.

Which 05s have spoken to you?

I just had a great 2005 La Conseillante. It was young but I was surprised at how good it tasted at this age.

A while back we had 2005 Clerc Milon and it drank really well.

In general, though, I would also be careful about opening 05s.

Nice. I have a couple of these. I will, maybe, check-in on this in 10 yrs or so.

We opened a Gloria in December as a second bottle of the night. So we only drank another glass out of it…but went back the night after and it was breath-taking. Really a wonderful wine…and it looks like some folks aren’t enjoying it. I wish I could find more in quantity.

I liked the 2005 Clerc Milon as well when I had it last year. I have a fair bit of 1999-2005 of it and d’Armailhac. Used to be solid value plays, but Clerc Milan has gotten pretty pricey.

Having 2005 Montrose tonight. Not by choice. A buddy bringing it to dinner.

We had a quite good 2005 Rauzan Gassies recently. That estate only seems to find its way here in the better years.

I actually generally like d’Armailhac more than Clerc Milon although both are good.