2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma Valley, Pagani

The color has youth and saturation. The aromas have black raspberry, with strong notes of both tobacco and briar. The palate is young, brawny, with an excellent vibrant texture and lots of ripe tannins. This is a beauty, but different from every other Carlisle Zin I’ve had… it just doesn’t taste completely like Zin to me! There is a hint of iron to the flavors that makes me think of Carignan. There are touches of Syrah and even some Grenache earth to the flavors. The finish is long and chewy, but perfectly balanced. This is outstanding wine.

I am not complaining!! This is stunningly good, better than most of the Zins I’ve had from Carlisle, and that is saying a lot. It’s still young, although not in the least impolite. Rated 94, up to 2 points of improvement likely over the next five years.

Dan Kravitz

Pagani is such a great vineyard…

And Dan, great note - I had the 2013 version of this last Sunday and it was sublime.

Great note, Swillmaster…I find Carisle reds need time…Am still drinking my 2011 and 2012’s
+1 re what Alex said re Pagani vyd.

Thanks for the note. I’ll try to hold this for a while.

Thanks for the note Dan. I have not drank any of mine yet. Sounds like there is no rush.