The Big Scherrer Tasting Note Thread

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Big Scherrer Tasting Note Thread

#101 Post by Roger Ouellette » November 16th, 2020, 6:23 am

Had some friends over last night and through a big sirloin on the grill. Felt appropriate to open a few aged Scherrer's and in the case of the Dehlinger, one that Fred had produced prior to venturing off on his own.

2010 Scherrer Winery Chardonnay Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
11/16/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 89 points
This shows some age hitting the glass with a honey gold color. Rich and smooth, with hints of vanilla, tropical fruit and a somewhat waxy texture. Medium acidity with just a touch of oak showing through on the backend.

1997 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
11/16/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 93 points
Anyone who thinks zin doesn't age well needs to get their hands on one of these. This wine shows layers of bright blue and red fruit supported by mouth watering acidity. Vibrant, juicy and delicious with plenty of life left, this paired exceptionally well with grilled sirloin.

1993 Dehlinger Syrah Russian River Valley
11/16/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 94 points
After Fred shared a bottle of the '95 with me at Underwood Restaurant last year, I've been keeping my eye out for more. Found three of these '93s and pulled the trigger. Amazing that at 27 years old this pours out dark purple in the glass with very little bricking. Ripe dark fruit and a hint of menthol greet the nose on first whiff. Still bursting with bright acidity, there is wave upon wave of ripe black fruit on the tongue. This is just a phenomenal wine.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Brian Tuite » November 16th, 2020, 6:34 am

Strong notes Roger!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Max S. » November 16th, 2020, 6:50 am

Roger Ouellette wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 6:23 am
1997 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
11/16/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 93 points
Anyone who thinks zin doesn't age well needs to get their hands on one of these. This wine shows layers of bright blue and red fruit supported by mouth watering acidity. Vibrant, juicy and delicious with plenty of life left, this paired exceptionally well with grilled sirloin.
Interesting, just snagged a bottle of the 2012 OMV at a store for $25. Some harsh tea notes at the beginning, but came together after an hour or two. May be going back for more...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by brigcampbell » November 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am

Meant to pull the Pinot for Frank's Laura House charity thread.

Good mistake.
  • 2012 Scherrer Winery Syrah - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/21/2020)
    Nose is challenging. Cassis if push comes to shove.

Beautiful favor with light black olive on the backend. Medium light mouth feel. Chambord at the finish. Very nice.
Posted from CellarTracker

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am

I love Underwood! Bet that was a terrific meal with Fred.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Return to “Wine Talk”