"Let's go cupcake! Open my wine!" -Fred Scherrer

IMG_4609-crop.jpg

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: The Big Scherrer Tasting Note Thread

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 4th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Oh man...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by ykwon » February 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Let’s do it!
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

C Chen

#4 Post by C Chen » February 4th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Let's goooooo!
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by brigcampbell » February 4th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Oh man...
Lot's of berserkers receiving their shipments this week so this is the incentive to Pobega a bottle for the team.

I may have paraphrased Fred in the original post [berserker.gif]

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JonathanG » February 4th, 2020, 4:39 pm

2013 Platt Pinot. Tasting note: This is some seriously good sh!t. Buy 12 (ok I stole that last part from a CT TN)
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Paul Miller » February 4th, 2020, 4:41 pm

I’m consuming a’13 OMV

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Paul Miller » February 4th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 4:41 pm
I’m consuming a’13 OMV
2013 Scherrer Winery, Zinfandel, Old and Mature Vines, Scherrer Vineyard, Alexander Valley

Drank with: Sally (actually, Nancy). Does not taste like Sally.
Provenance: Previously owned by Fred Scherrer. Been in my home for a couple of hours. Served near room-temp, but was outside for a while on a cold Chicago night.
Decant: None. Popped-and-poured.
Stemware: Riedel glasses (rhymes with needle). Not sure of the series, but they are red glasses of some sort.
Color: Beautiful purple-to-red color, ruby.
Aroma: Not getting strong aromatics.
Impressions: This is an easy to drink wine. Goes down easy. Nice on its own, and good with food.
Flavors: Had more red fruit at opening. Now seems heavy on blue and brambly fruits, blueberry, blackberry, some raspberry. Some pepper notes. Some tartness, and seemed to get tarter the longer it was open. Balanced, not too jammy or in-your-face Zin, more restrained. Not too tannic, nice acidity. I bet this winemaker also makes Pinots.
Food Pairing: Had it with beef quesadillas. I would say this would pair well with a lot of foods you would associate with a Zin.
Score: While I like to score, I'm not good doing it when I drink.
Drink window: Seems to definitely be in the window of Now. Not sure aging is going to help, but not going to hurt. I would go with Fred's recs.
Personal Note: Berserker Day wine.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by JonathanG » February 4th, 2020, 8:59 pm

I gave up on Zins awhile ago, because there were just too many jammy ones with 16.5% alcohol. Seghesio Home Ranch was the only one I liked. After reading Paul's review I may just have to dip my toe back in the Zin pool and give Scherrer Zins a go.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Diane Kessler » February 4th, 2020, 9:53 pm

I’m in Sebastopol this week and stopped to see Fred and pick up my Hallberg vertical. I planned to take these home, but this thread is tempting me to open one before I get home.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian Tuite » February 5th, 2020, 6:06 am

Diane Kessler wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 9:53 pm
I’m in Sebastopol this week and stopped to see Fred and pick up my Hallberg vertical. I planned to take these home, but this thread is tempting me to open one before I get home.
Must be nice, I life 3 minutes away and can’t find time in my day to stop by for my wines. I miss half of the 3 day open houses for the same reason! #1stworldproblems
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jay Miller » February 5th, 2020, 6:35 am

Received mine yesterday and face the usual conundrum.

They taste very good young
But I prefer them around age 20
But I might not be alive in 20 years

Carpe diem, I'll open one at dinner on Thursday.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by CJ Beazley » February 5th, 2020, 6:39 am

Paul Miller wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
I’m consuming a’13 OMV
2013 Scherrer Winery, Zinfandel, Old and Mature Vines, Scherrer Vineyard, Alexander Valley

Drank with: Sally (actually, Nancy). Does not taste like Sally.
Provenance: Previously owned by Fred Scherrer. Been in my home for a couple of hours. Served near room-temp, but was outside for a while on a cold Chicago night.
Decant: None. Popped-and-poured.
Stemware: Riedel glasses (rhymes with needle). Not sure of the series, but they are red glasses of some sort.
Color: Beautiful purple-to-red color, ruby.
Aroma: Not getting strong aromatics.
Impressions: This is an easy to drink wine. Goes down easy. Nice on its own, and good with food.
Flavors: Had more red fruit at opening. Now seems heavy on blue and brambly fruits, blueberry, blackberry, some raspberry. Some pepper notes. Some tartness, and seemed to get tarter the longer it was open. Balanced, not too jammy or in-your-face Zin, more restrained. Not too tannic, nice acidity. I bet this winemaker also makes Pinots.
Food Pairing: Had it with beef quesadillas. I would say this would pair well with a lot of foods you would associate with a Zin.
Score: While I like to score, I'm not good doing it when I drink.
Drink window: Seems to definitely be in the window of Now. Not sure aging is going to help, but not going to hurt. I would go with Fred's recs.
Personal Note: Berserker Day wine.
Couldn’t come up with a rhyming word for quesadillas like you did with ‘needle’ ay?
It's C(raig)

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Jay Miller » February 5th, 2020, 7:39 am

Paul Miller wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
I’m consuming a’13 OMV

Drank with: Sally (actually, Nancy).
Excuse me Sherriff, I'd like to report this post!

Mike Ott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mike Ott » February 5th, 2020, 7:52 am

Of the verticals (both Pinot and Zin), any suggestions on which year to open first (13-14-15)? Any year more approachable than the rest?

C Chen

#16 Post by C Chen » February 5th, 2020, 11:24 am

Mike Ott wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 7:52 am
Of the verticals (both Pinot and Zin), any suggestions on which year to open first (13-14-15)? Any year more approachable than the rest?
See Fred's response for Zins.
Fred Scherrer wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am
Had a good question on drinking windows for those 2013-2015 OMV Zins. 2013 is in a fantastic spot and is the most resolved of the three. I think any time from now to 3-4 more years should see it in the same lovely zone. 2014 is great now and should hold that spell for another 6-7 years or so. 2015 could use a little more time to settle into it's best zone: You could drink one now over 2-3 days to see it open up if you were anxious to check it out. If I only had one bottle, I'd give it another 3-4 years and probably open before it's 15-20 years old so as to catch more of the primary aspects.
curt1S ch3N

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Brian Tuite » February 5th, 2020, 8:18 pm

You don’t have to ask me twice. Dava came out of the cellar the other night with a 2005 Scherrer OMV and asked
“I grabbed a Zin, is this one ok?” She’s not much for secondary flavors so I told her I’d grab something a little more in her wheelhoise and we had a ‘17 Shane Pagani Ranch Zin that was a winner. The ‘05 OMV reminded me that I had some other older Scherrer wines stashed away so I pulled this tonight to take a look. In hindsight I should have left it stashed but here are my thoughts from tonight. I didn’t ask Sally what she thought.
  • 2005 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Scherrer Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (2/5/2020)
    Library purchase during an Open House back in 2016. Day 1 about 2 hours in. This is still a baby, dark fruit is prominent, a real mouthful but not like HonestBob mentioned in the prior note. There’s nothing sticky about this. Plenty of ripe tannins with some nice pyrazine notes, mouthwatering acidity. Keep this lying down for another decade at least. While enjoyable it has so much more to offer as it ages. I’ll check back in tomorrow but am not expecting much to change. I’ll just enjoy it’s youthfulness for now. Now, to reload.
Posted from CellarTracker
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jay Miller » February 7th, 2020, 7:49 am

Yes, the 2013 OMV was delicious . Yes I'm certain it will continue to develop for the next 20 years. Not sure why I bothered drinking it since I knew those would be the outcomes.

Oh right. It was delicious.

marc d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by marc d » February 7th, 2020, 8:06 am

Huh by coincidence we opened a ‘15 old vines zin last night. My first bottle of Scherrer ever!
It was actually quite open and accessible I thought. Nose was a mix of red fruits and darker zinberry. There seemed to be just a little coconut oak in the background. The mouth was balanced acidity and tannin, also very nice. 14.5% abv but felt balanced without alcoholic heat. Very much on the red fruited elegant side of the Zinfandel spectrum. Also pretty young but should age beautifully, I hope that background oak I noticed will age away. Paired with burgers and baked yams perfectly. A winner.
Marc Davis

BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by BobMilton » February 7th, 2020, 9:58 am

My wife and I opened the '13 Old and Mature last night. I got red raspberry on the palate, with spice notes (baking spices, perhaps). And for the first time ever, I got brambly notes. Have heard that used before but I've never noticed it in a Zin until now. Well done Mr. Shcerrer!

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Diane Kessler » February 7th, 2020, 7:43 pm

2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Scherrer Vineyard - clearly young, but drinking great. Cherries, chocolate, and herbs. Good acid to support the fruit and soft tannins. After a week of drinking Pinot here in Sonoma, it was nice to mix it up with this delicious Cab.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by brigcampbell » February 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Finally was able to get some quality time with a Scherrer.
  • 2015 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (2/8/2020)
    I'm a California zinfandel fan, hey it's our grape variety. More importantly, I'm a supporter of the old vines because it's too easy to rip them out for cab or Pinot for economic reasons. So this note is for lovers of wine, passion, and heritage.

Red berries and light caramel/maple aromas. Palate is a bowl of wild fruit, raspberry, cherry and classic zin berries. Even a hint of cassis, go figure. The backend shows the oak influence. Hold a few more years and probably hits its stride at 10 years if you prefer the secondary notes. Elegant.

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » February 9th, 2020, 5:12 am

About 6 years ago I picked up a bunch of magnums of both the 1998 and 1999 Scherrer Cab Sauv Scherrer Vineyard. This thread reminded me I still have one of the 1999 left. Think I’ll pop it tonight and see what’s what.

In the meantime here’s a note on the first magnum of 1998 I opened five years back:
  • 1998 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Scherrer Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (12/25/2015)
    Deep purple colour. Benefitted from standing for most of a week: plenty of fine sediment. Decanted for a few hours. Resolved tannins, full bodied, silky texture. Masses of black currant, black licorice and cigar box, with a lengthy finish. Not overly complex but what it DOES deliver, it delivers with style. A hit at family Christmas dinner. (93 pts.)
IG: @arntfieldwines

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Marc Hauser » February 9th, 2020, 7:05 am

Opened a 2016 OMV last night. Still on the young side, but coming into its own. Lots of mushroom on the nose for me. Impeccable balance, although it’s still on the early side for the fruit to explode.

I’ve been buying a mixed case of zin futures for years now (easily the best deal in wine), and my self-restraint to let these sit for at least 2 years post-release perennially fails me. Particular the Shale.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

K Kl@dder

#25 Post by K Kl@dder » February 9th, 2020, 7:50 am

Had a ‘14 Alexander Valley Cab over last two nights. Seemed a little wound up day 1, but got into its groove Day 2. Made the wife say “this is good wine!” Couldn’t agree more, probably has a couple years until peak, but good now if you can’t wait.
K e i t h

dougwilder

#26 Post by dougwilder » February 9th, 2020, 10:30 am

I had an extensive 5 hour tasting and photo shoot with Fred on Friday. He mentioned he had sold a little wine here. I'm re tasting everything two days later. That's what he suggests to get the full expression of the wines.
Attachments
fred_7739.jpg
fred_8021.jpg
fred_8021.jpg
itb

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mel Knox » February 9th, 2020, 11:16 am

When Fred had a full beard he looked like a statue of the one of the apostles on a Gothic cathedral.... now he looks like somebody who plays pedal steel guitar in Fresno.
ITB

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by brigcampbell » February 9th, 2020, 12:00 pm

dougwilder wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:30 am
He mentioned he had sold a little wine here.
Just a bit... LOL

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » February 9th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 5:12 am
About 6 years ago I picked up a bunch of magnums of both the 1998 and 1999 Scherrer Cab Sauv Scherrer Vineyard. This thread reminded me I still have one of the 1999 left. Think I’ll pop it tonight and see what’s what.
This afternoon from magnum. Showing very well with red and blue fruit, plenty of sweet tobacco leaf, good level of acidity and some grippy tannins still hanging in there.
A1B75284-698D-4DED-8720-29B1238EBB97.jpeg
IG: @arntfieldwines

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by MikeHill » February 9th, 2020, 5:59 pm

2013 OMV. PNP. Such an elegant zin. I got savory aromatics (Grassl Liberte), went great with Flannery burgers. blackberry, blueberry and cherry, with the earthy, brambly hallmarks of zin. Bold, but not jammy or hot. Fine tannins balanced with medium acidity. Red cherry finish. Sally would have enjoyed this.

Fred Scherrer

#31 Post by Fred Scherrer » February 10th, 2020, 10:12 am

Mel Knox wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:16 am
When Fred had a full beard he looked like a statue of the one of the apostles on a Gothic cathedral.... now he looks like somebody who plays pedal steel guitar in Fresno.
I thought you said I looked like a gargoyle.

Someday I'll play Fresno.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mel Knox » February 10th, 2020, 11:33 am

Fred, you are a gargoyle but you keep it well hidden.

Whatever happened to winemaker bands?? Did they go the way of Dad Bands?? There were several good ones on the Central Coast.
ITB

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by brigcampbell » February 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Mel Knox wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:33 am
Fred, you are a gargoyle but you keep it well hidden.

Whatever happened to winemaker bands?? Did they go the way of Dad Bands?? There were several good ones on the Central Coast.
Did you ever notice that you never see Fred Scherrer and Frank Zappa at the same party? Humm....

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mel Knox » February 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Good point
And every time I go to the winery Fred hides his recording studio and tells me he is going hunting
ITB

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Andrew Demaree » February 13th, 2020, 9:34 pm

2013 Old and Mature Vines Zinfandel
This is an exceptional Zinfandel in a red fruited, medium bodied, more elegant style. Some acidity is present to provide lift but it does not seem obtrusive in any way, and the tannins are nicely rounded at this stage. Truly delicious! Consistent with other Scherrer wines I’ve enjoyed, this is likely to drink well for years to come. 93 pts.

David Baum

#36 Post by David Baum » February 14th, 2020, 1:37 pm

So I think my claim to fame may be that I am the originator of the mixed case of Zinfandel. Seven or eight years ago you could only get a case of OMV or Shale Terrace on the futures program. I asked Judy if I could get six of each and she said yes. The next year that option was offered to all.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Anton D » February 14th, 2020, 1:45 pm

David Baum wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:37 pm
So I think my claim to fame may be that I am the originator of the mixed case of Zinfandel. Seven or eight years ago you could only get a case of OMV or Shale Terrace on the futures program. I asked Judy if I could get six of each and she said yes. The next year that option was offered to all.
Nice work! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Roger Ouellette » February 15th, 2020, 6:56 am

This '08 Calypso syrah went perfectly with a grilled filet for Valentines Day. Some old world funk, ripe black cherries, fine grained tannins, balanced fruit with acid, just a real pleasure.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Mel Knox » February 15th, 2020, 10:37 am

I am dining with a Burgundian buddy tonight. Would it be safe to open the 09 Big Brother??
ITB

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Mel Knox » February 15th, 2020, 10:37 am

I am dining with a Burgundian buddy tonight. Would it be safe to open the 09 Big Brother??
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by John Morris » February 15th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Fred Scherrer wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 10:12 am
Mel Knox wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:16 am
I thought you said I looked like a gargoyle.

Someday I'll play Fresno.
Be sure to offer tickets on Berserkers Day, Fred.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Fred Scherrer

#42 Post by Fred Scherrer » February 15th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Mel Knox wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 10:37 am
Sorry, I’ve been in a remote location without internet or cell reception for a few days.

Was it safe? It’s usually safer to open a Zinfandel because it won’t be subject to being compared to the grape grown locally.

I opened a bottle recently and I’m
still kicking. Wine was really kicking too.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Mel Knox » February 16th, 2020, 8:40 am

I saved it for another day.
ITB

Mike Ott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Mike Ott » February 16th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Had the 2013 OMV last night and kicking myself for not getting a few more of the verticals during Berserker Day. Beautiful wine. Nice red fruit with some acidity, really just balanced flavors and delicious. Definitely not going downhill anytime soon.

C Chen

#45 Post by C Chen » February 17th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Quickly killed a bottle of 2013 OMV Zin. Man, is this elegant and resolving nicely. Wish I had plenty more. Besides the Geyserville, this is right up there as my favorite Zin. Awesome stuff. Hoping to visit Scherrer Winery late this year.
Attachments
DE8BE6D7-DC12-4E8F-BA5E-025BD39DFDE0.jpeg
Last edited by C Chen on February 17th, 2020, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curt1S ch3N

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Mark Y » February 17th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Tried a 2013 green valley hallberg vineyard pinot last night. Wow surprisingly light on its feet. Bright acidity. Tasty!
Y.e.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Diane Kessler » February 17th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Mark Y wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Tried a 2013 green valley hallberg vineyard pinot last night. Wow surprisingly light on its feet. Bright acidity. Tasty!
Great to read this note. I plan to open one soon.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Jeff_M. » February 17th, 2020, 3:27 pm

2013 OMV Zin over the weekend. Drank really smoothly. Let it sit in the glass for 2 hours before drinking. Will wait a few months before trying the 14' OMV.

Going to hold the Platt Pinot a little longer and try the Chard pretty soon.
Jeff M 0 l l

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Marc Hauser » February 17th, 2020, 7:49 pm

2008 Sonoma County Pinot. Simply delightful and still running strong. Great balance, lots of fruit and acid.

He started doing RRV Pinot futures this year. I bit for a case.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Fred Scherrer

#50 Post by Fred Scherrer » February 24th, 2020, 10:52 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:27 pm
2013 OMV Zin over the weekend. Drank really smoothly. Let it sit in the glass for 2 hours before drinking. Will wait a few months before trying the 14' OMV.

Going to hold the Platt Pinot a little longer and try the Chard pretty soon.
Holding the Platts a while is not a bad strategy. They tend to have a bit more tannic structure that melts over the years. That said, with the right food they are spot on. 2013 is a bit more open and would not disappoint if you crack it open right away.

Saturday, I finished a bottle of 2015 Platt that had been opened 5 days prior (traveling and busy). It was in perfect shape and had resolved just enough.

F

Return to “Wine Talk”